Donations, site and server updates

Check here for news about the site.

Moderators: LIFE, kiore

Re: Donations, site and server updates

#81  Postby Prof. Faust » Jun 03, 2011 2:49 am

Does anyone know how large the monthly hosting fee is?
For a moment, consider the set of all sets that have never been considered.
Prof. Faust

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 03, 2011 2:57 am

Prof. Faust wrote:Does anyone know how large the monthly hosting fee is?

Kiore linked to a post by LIFE on the last page which had this information: here. According to LIFE, the site uses around $172 USD per month (129 EUR). That info was from January, so I'm not sure if that's changed at all.

Hope that helps :cheers:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#83  Postby Prof. Faust » Jun 03, 2011 3:02 am

Thanks, Mr.Samsa, it does help.
For a moment, consider the set of all sets that have never been considered.
Prof. Faust

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Latimeria » Jun 09, 2011 8:22 am

Oh I just can't wait to be PURPLE.

Seriously, I've gotten a lot more out of this place than what I was just able to put in. Thanks! :thumbup:
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby John P. M. » Jun 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Ok - I've made my first donation. :dance:

Figured I'm using this place enough. :nod2:
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Latimeria » Jun 29, 2011 8:55 am

Latimeria wrote:Oh I just can't wait to be PURPLE.

Seriously, I've gotten a lot more out of this place than what I was just able to put in. Thanks! :thumbup:

Thank you, LIFE. Does that confer diplomatic immunity for ad hominems directed at the non-purpleite vermin? :grin:
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Someone » Jul 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Does that include ____?
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby MrCrilly » Jul 08, 2011 11:13 am

LIFE wrote:My main headache is that the site running slow at the moment (for the past weeks actually), in terms of speed. We will have some nice hardware upgrades during the next days, also I will tweak the database performance a bit, clean up the mess :D

It's still running quite slowly. I haven't read through every post on this thread but has anyone suggested or has the idea of load balancing been considered? Perhaps three or four VPS in multiple countries to help balance the work. You could round-robin the DNS and, given a visitor's geographical location, direct them to the relevant server. Just a thought.

I will donate as much as I can afford, when I can afford it (payday).
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
MrCrilly

Name: Michael Crilly
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#89  Postby kiore » Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Must be about that time again.. A few euros on their way :cheers:
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby LIFE » Aug 24, 2011 9:10 pm

MrCrilly wrote:
LIFE wrote:My main headache is that the site running slow at the moment (for the past weeks actually), in terms of speed. We will have some nice hardware upgrades during the next days, also I will tweak the database performance a bit, clean up the mess :D

It's still running quite slowly. I haven't read through every post on this thread but has anyone suggested or has the idea of load balancing been considered? Perhaps three or four VPS in multiple countries to help balance the work. You could round-robin the DNS and, given a visitor's geographical location, direct them to the relevant server. Just a thought.

I will donate as much as I can afford, when I can afford it (payday).

Cheers for the input! But to be completely honest with you there's not much load on the server actually.
It's just me not spotting those parts of the script which hold it back. You have to know I did like 50+ modifications to the original board scripts and it feels a bit like searching the needle in the haystack. I'm narrowing it down but it still takes me a bit to fix it, I suppose.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#91  Postby james1v » Mar 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I forgot my pay-pal password. Its been really frustrating. I clicked on the "Ive forgotten my password" link, they send me an email, which directs me to their site, which asks for my fooking password! Ive been going round in circles for a couple of weeks now. Ive even phoned them, the auto voice told me to visit, pay-pal.com where i will be able to recover my password "instantly", it asked for my password before it would let me do anything.

I think the only option is to set myself up another account, but i will have to create a new email address. Its a right pain in the arse!

Any other way of sending a few quid? :scratch:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 21, 2012 5:11 am

I remember when I forgot my p/w there was some kerfuffle involving a computer phoning my house for confirmation. Pain in the ass but I got it done.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 21, 2012 10:09 am

james1v wrote:I forgot my pay-pal password. Its been really frustrating. I clicked on the "Ive forgotten my password" link, they send me an email, which directs me to their site, which asks for my fooking password! Ive been going round in circles for a couple of weeks now. Ive even phoned them, the auto voice told me to visit, pay-pal.com where i will be able to recover my password "instantly", it asked for my password before it would let me do anything.

I think the only option is to set myself up another account, but i will have to create a new email address. Its a right pain in the arse!

Any other way of sending a few quid? :scratch:

I had the same problem but some how I forget they asked me to fill in my details plus two special things about me and a new password. I did all that and it worked again.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Dawn » May 09, 2012 8:30 pm

I gave a donation back in February (I think it was Feb - sometime around then). I just want to make sure you guys got it. I didn't get put in the donator group (I am not purple). Being purple isn't important, but I do want to make sure you received it.
Dawn

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#95  Postby LIFE » May 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Dawn wrote:I gave a donation back in February (I think it was Feb - sometime around then). I just want to make sure you guys got it. I didn't get put in the donator group (I am not purple). Being purple isn't important, but I do want to make sure you received it.

Just confirming that it got through :cheers:
Addition to the Donators group doesn't happen automatically, only by request (since many don't want to).
If you wish to be added just drop me a quick PM :)
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby james1v » May 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Just managed to get a donation sent through Paypal, had to do it as a guest (it didnt give me that option last time i tried.)
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 13, 2012 1:03 pm

I was travelling on the Dutch TGV from Brussel to Rotterdam. It has a WiFi network. Once I was logged on (which is not simple!) every time I tried to open RatSkep it did not stay active. I had the opening page but on clicking through I lost the connection as it was too slow for the server on board the train. Other sited worked ok.

On the way down last week it worked ok.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Another point.

I have often to double click the submit button for it to work.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#99  Postby John P. M. » Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm

The option to donate by putting in the amount, your country, and then hit Submit (from the link in the PM) and being taken to Paypal to finish the transaction didn't work for me. That is to say, I was taken to my Paypal account, but at first I was taken to the login page since I wasn't logged in(doh!), but then when I had logged in and tried again, there was no 'remainder of the transaction' going on there. It just showed my account, as per usual, with no new activity or buttons to click.

Paying the more 'manual' way by inputting the email address worked, though.

...either that, or I just donated three times as much as I had planned... :? :lol:
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#100  Postby james1v » Jun 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Sending a few bob today. :cheers:
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements