Promote RatSkep week

Check here for news about the site.

Moderators: LIFE, kiore

Re: Promote RatSkep week

#21  Postby 95Theses » Aug 31, 2010 11:46 am

Redial wrote:
Bolero wrote:Every chance I get, I verbally promote this site to friends, family and members of my social atheist group. So far I think I've managed to convince precisely 1 person (who lurks but never posts) to come here. Not sure why, but I guess the whole internetz forum thingy is not everyone's cup of tea.

Just a random question...isn't an atheist group kind of counter-productive...considering you're against forming a religion and yet you kind of congregate to worship atheism/science?...I may be wrong.../derail

Sigh.

An atheist is simply someone who doesn't believe in God. Nothing more nothing less.

I understand it would be lovely for the credulous to try and pretend it is a religion so that we are all on the same side and are just arguing about who's religion is 'best' but it really doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

Anyway /derail please.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby trubble76 » Aug 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Redial wrote:
Bolero wrote:Every chance I get, I verbally promote this site to friends, family and members of my social atheist group. So far I think I've managed to convince precisely 1 person (who lurks but never posts) to come here. Not sure why, but I guess the whole internetz forum thingy is not everyone's cup of tea.

Just a random question...isn't an atheist group kind of counter-productive...considering you're against forming a religion and yet you kind of congregate to worship atheism/science?...I may be wrong.../derail

FFS :picard:

wor·ship (wûrshp)
n.
a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.
b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.
2. Ardent devotion; adoration.
3. often Worship Chiefly British Used as a form of address for magistrates, mayors, and certain other dignitaries: Your Worship.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby HughMcB » Aug 31, 2010 1:47 pm

Bolero wrote:Not sure why, but I guess the whole internetz forum thingy is not everyone's cup of tea.

Very true, I suppose the best we can do is throw it out there and see if we get any bites. :dopey:

campermon wrote:How much would it cost to stick up a few bill board / bus posters in a city like London?

More than we have I imagine. A few posters up in some Uni spots would be great though, perhaps even some pubs too?! :smoke:

Redial wrote:Just a random question...isn't an atheist group kind of counter-productive...considering you're against forming a religion and yet you kind of congregate to worship atheism/science?...I may be wrong.../derail

[1] I think Bolero simply meant social groups of friends that were atheist, not actual organized atheist groups (but even so, so what?)
[2] Worship atheism/science? :shock:

roflcopter!!!1!
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Tbickle » Aug 31, 2010 1:50 pm

I like the idea of doing a sign with tear off slips, it's inexpensive and it could be seen by quite a few people. My graphic design skills are that of an infant though, so it's either going to be a really crappy sign if I do it. Could anyone here design something nice that we could use?
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Aug 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Tbickle wrote:I like the idea of doing a sign with tear off slips, it's inexpensive and it could be seen by quite a few people. My graphic design skills are that of an infant though, so it's either going to be a really crappy sign if I do it. Could anyone here design something nice that we could use?

RATIONAL DISCOURSE

Now that I've gotten your attention, come to ratskep.org for some free beer.

Wait a minute, I think I did that wrong.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby trubble76 » Aug 31, 2010 1:54 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Tbickle wrote:I like the idea of doing a sign with tear off slips, it's inexpensive and it could be seen by quite a few people. My graphic design skills are that of an infant though, so it's either going to be a really crappy sign if I do it. Could anyone here design something nice that we could use?

RATIONAL DISCOURSE

Now that I've gotten your attention, come to ratskep.org for some free beer.

Wait a minute, I think I did that wrong.

Loved it, very good. :clap:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Redial wrote:Just a random question...isn't an atheist group kind of counter-productive...considering you're against forming a religion and yet you kind of congregate to worship atheism/science?...I may be wrong.../derail

Are you kidding? We love worshipping atheism. Let us gather, friends, and sing praises to Marduk and Ishtar's nonexistence. Let us offer up sacrifices of goats to the non-existence of Thoth, and pray to Odin's non-existence that we might all find happiness.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Sityl » Aug 31, 2010 2:24 pm

Arcanyn wrote:

Are you kidding? We love worshipping atheism. Let us gather, friends, and sing praises to Marduk and Ishtar's nonexistence. Let us offer up sacrifices of goats to the non-existence of Thoth, and pray to Odin's non-existence that we might all find happiness.

We can have imaginary sack races where we sit in a chair drinking beer and pretend to have a sack race,

and we can go from door to door with a blank piece of paper and ask people if they've accepted nothing into their hearts...
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby mraltair » Aug 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Sityl wrote:
Arcanyn wrote:

We can have imaginary sack races where we sit in a chair drinking beer and pretend to have a sack race,

and we can go from door to door with a blank piece of paper and ask people if they've accepted nothing into their hearts...

Sooooo......As normal then? :crazy:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby XiledSpawn » Aug 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Cut out a piece of cardboard like a caution wet floor sign and leave them in public areas? obviously with something on it advertising the site, don't forget that.

We had someone do that last year here with BE DO HAVE signs.

If you wanted to open the floodgates you could always post on 4chan, but that would be :crazy:
"Until that day, that all are one" ~ Optimus Prime

Everybody equal, everybody loved!
XiledSpawn
RS Donator

Name: Michael Smith
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Mazille » Aug 31, 2010 5:04 pm

XiledSpawn wrote:
If you wanted to open the floodgates you could always post on 4chan, but that would be :crazy:

FUCK NO! :hand: :naughty:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Redial » Aug 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Sorry i wasn't being inflammatory, I my friend just asked me what I though, and I didn't really have an answer so I thought I'd ask you guys.
Evolving wrote:Mine looks as though it fits into Redial's piece.

Spinozasgalt wrote:I wish I was a lady, I imagine being female is akin to flying through clouds.
Redial
RS Donator

Name: Redialtherednosereinde
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Bolero » Aug 31, 2010 11:17 pm

Sorry folks: didn't mean to confuse the forum theists.

Back on topic - I work at a uni, so printing and pinning up posters is a gig I could manage.
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby HughMcB » Sep 01, 2010 12:39 am

Fantastic Bolero! :dance:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Bolero » Sep 01, 2010 12:51 am

:grin:
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Mac_Guffin » Sep 01, 2010 1:45 am

I've been trying to mention the site on other sites whenever I can.

I also slip little pieces of paper with the url into books and stuff.

I have no idea if it's been effective.
:scratch:
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Matt H » Sep 01, 2010 7:48 pm

campermon wrote:
Sityl wrote:Maybe we should require all new topics to be prescreened by moderators? :ask:

....I know a bloke called Timonen who could help out with the redesign.. :mrgreen:

:hide:

Yes! Do this. The drama would be IMMENSE.
"The most remarkable people, to me, were those who apparently approved of everything I said but nonetheless wouldn't dream of voting for the Liberal Party. It reminded me of Somalia: they wouldn't vote outside their clan."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby tuco » Sep 01, 2010 7:59 pm

I would never recommend this site to anyone because of present worship: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar> .. then again, I do not recommend anything I do to anyone.
tuco

Print view this post

#39  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 02, 2010 3:05 am

tuco wrote:I would never recommend this site to anyone because of present worship: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar> .. then again, I do not recommend anything I do to anyone.

Huh? :eh:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Mac_Guffin » Sep 02, 2010 3:36 am

Yeah, he lost me too.
Mac_Guffin