Promote RatSkep week

Check here for news about the site.

Moderators: LIFE, kiore

Promote RatSkep week

#1  Postby 95Theses » Aug 30, 2010 9:22 am

As some of you already know LIFE has been working on a redesign of the site. I'm sure he will reveal more details in due course, but I for one am Very Excited about these changes.

[Despite the parody there is nothing to be worried about, the plan is to implement the new logo, affect a small redesign of the layout of the site, add a section to publish and discuss new articles by members and a few other bits and bobs that won't have an impact on the current functionality of the site]

I have been reliably informed that barring any major hiccups this is slated to go live in the middle of September. I would like to propose a week long 'Promote RatSkep' week to coincide with these changes. While we are undoubtdly doing very well in terms of numbers of members and posts per day, without the draw of a headline figure like Richard Dawkins, I think there is scope for doing even more to expand upon our already busy forums.

I propose that we designate a whole week during which all the members that are interested in increasing the traffic to the website even further work together to push the site.

This thread is for people to discuss the idea, and to come up with suggestions for what we can do. I have some of my own ideas and would like as many more as you can come up with. When we have a decent list we can agree a plan of action for those members wishing to participate in the event. Any ideas here are my own and won't necessarily be part of the actual plan, which will be a result of later discussion between the staff and members.

Anyway, off the top of my head, here are some ideas to get the ball rolling :

* Design a poster that people can print off and put up at work notice boards with tear off slips with http://www.rationalskepticism.org on them

* Get members and staff to post facebook status updates and on walls

* Get members and staff to actively email friends

* Get members and staff to change their signature on other boards to the homepage here

* Twitter about RatSkep

* Appoint a 'welcome committee' for the week tasked with making newbies welcome (maybe give them a new coloured name or title)

* Try and get some 'Celebrity' atheists on board and to mention us in podcasts or on their blogs.

I'm sure there are lots more ideas and you might well think some of mine are a bit lame, but lets collect lots of ideas and then we can decide on the best ones together.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Promote RatSkep week

#2  Postby rEvolutionist » Aug 30, 2010 10:59 pm

I was thinking something along the lines of your first point. Maybe a paste on sticker with the ratskep address and some witty or catchy one-liner underneath. Then past them around your city or town.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Sityl » Aug 30, 2010 11:01 pm

Maybe we should require all new topics to be prescreened by moderators? :ask:
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Aug 30, 2010 11:03 pm

Sityl wrote:Maybe we should require all new topics to be prescreened by moderators? :ask:

....I know a bloke called Timonen who could help out with the redesign.. :mrgreen:

:hide:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sityl » Aug 30, 2010 11:09 pm

campermon wrote:
Sityl wrote:Maybe we should require all new topics to be prescreened by moderators? :ask:

....I know a bloke called Timonen who could help out with the redesign.. :mrgreen:

:hide:

:lol:

OK, seriously, though. I think this is a GREAT idea! Personally, I only have like 7 twitter followers, and most of em are members here... I could mention the site on my facebook, but I don't think I'd have a single person decide to come here, and exchange all I'll get is a life full of fundamentalist shit from my family. So I'm trying to think of what I can personally do to increase membership here :think:
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SPMaximus » Aug 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Well i have 35 followers on twitter with this as my avatar:
So i feel ive done quite a bit in terms of promotion :whistle:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#7  Postby rEvolutionist » Aug 30, 2010 11:14 pm

That would go on one of my stickers!
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby rEvolutionist » Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

By the way, what did the new logo end up being? It wasn't that mobius strip one was it? I think that one really sucked balls.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Sityl » Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

How about:

"Jesus committed suicide. Fuck what Jesus would do, come to rationaskepticism.org!"

Sityl

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SPMaximus » Aug 30, 2010 11:19 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:By the way, what did the new logo end up being? It wasn't that mobius strip one was it? I think that one really sucked balls.

Id tell you but you wouldnt like the answer :shifty:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#11  Postby rEvolutionist » Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm

SPMaximus wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:By the way, what did the new logo end up being? It wasn't that mobius strip one was it? I think that one really sucked balls.

Id tell you but you wouldnt like the answer :shifty:

Dang. What happened to all those clever rat ones and even the stylishly striking RS ones? Who thought it would be a good idea to have a complicated logo which is going to look like a mess from any distance? :sigh: Oh well. Here's an idea I facetiously presented in the logo competition that would be good on a sticker:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby mmmcheezy » Aug 31, 2010 12:42 am

I can definitely tweet and facebook about it. I don't know if posters around here would help much--I live in Wisconsin, but a smaller, more suburban part, so I don't know how much interest would be generated. If I was still in college I might have tried it there, but the campus is a ways away from me now.
I've told a couple "free-thinker" friends about the place, but they didn't seem too interested.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby natselrox » Aug 31, 2010 4:23 am

I think I posted the link on the Indian Atheists Facebook page. Not sure how many people ended up joining here though. I should post it again.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Bolero » Aug 31, 2010 5:44 am

Every chance I get, I verbally promote this site to friends, family and members of my social atheist group. So far I think I've managed to convince precisely 1 person (who lurks but never posts) to come here. Not sure why, but I guess the whole internetz forum thingy is not everyone's cup of tea.
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby campermon » Aug 31, 2010 10:24 am

How much would it cost to stick up a few bill board / bus posters in a city like London?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby trubble76 » Aug 31, 2010 11:12 am

There's a couple of online games I play, festering with bloody merkin theist brats, and some more rational types. I'll post there (if I remember, I am a stoner ya know).
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Redial » Aug 31, 2010 11:42 am

Bolero wrote:Every chance I get, I verbally promote this site to friends, family and members of my social atheist group. So far I think I've managed to convince precisely 1 person (who lurks but never posts) to come here. Not sure why, but I guess the whole internetz forum thingy is not everyone's cup of tea.

Just a random question...isn't an atheist group kind of counter-productive...considering you're against forming a religion and yet you kind of congregate to worship atheism/science?...I may be wrong.../derail
Evolving wrote:Mine looks as though it fits into Redial's piece.

Spinozasgalt wrote:I wish I was a lady, I imagine being female is akin to flying through clouds.
Redial
RS Donator

Name: Redialtherednosereinde
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby campermon » Aug 31, 2010 11:43 am

Redial wrote:

Just a random question...isn't an atheist group kind of counter-productive...considering you're against forming a religion and yet you kind of congregate to worship atheism/science?...I may be wrong.../derail

:ask:
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Mazille » Aug 31, 2010 11:44 am

Redial wrote:
Bolero wrote:Every chance I get, I verbally promote this site to friends, family and members of my social atheist group. So far I think I've managed to convince precisely 1 person (who lurks but never posts) to come here. Not sure why, but I guess the whole internetz forum thingy is not everyone's cup of tea.

Worship atheism?
You're hereby awarded the Invisible Pink Unicorn Award for the most nonsensical concept.

Derail aside, I'm doing my best already, although a poster might help. :nod:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Announcements