rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

Check here for news about the site.

Moderators: LIFE, kiore

rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#1  Postby LIFE » Mar 01, 2010 1:46 pm

I've just created a few Amazon Associates accounts. (Thanks to ratz for the idea!)

If you click on one of these links before you buy something from Amazon,
rationalskepticism.org will get a cut (usually 5%) and it won't cost you anything extra at all.

For Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/?tag=rationskepti-20

For Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=rationskept01-21

For Amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/?tag=rationskepti-21

Have fun ;)
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
User avatar
LIFE
Site Admin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Bernhard
Posts: 7152
Age: 36
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Brilliant. I bought tonnes of stuff a week ago though. :doh:
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 8767
Age: 33
Male

Country: Morocco
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#3  Postby Shaker » Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

For a bibliomaniac like me that's going to come in very handy :thumbup:
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
User avatar
Shaker
 
Posts: 628
Age: 45
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#4  Postby truthinScience » Mar 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Is this similar to donating, i.e., name can turn gold? Not that it matters, just curious—about everything as usual. Thing is, I have to buy a textbook soon for one of my classes and being a student with virtually no money at all—I kid you not, school will be the death of my financial security—this is a great way for me to donate, if not the only way.
Image Find me on MySpace, friend me on Facebook, and stalk me on Twitter.

Avatar Info
Arisman, Marshall. Sacred Monkey. 2010. Various Images.
User avatar
truthinScience
 
Name: Michael
Posts: 139
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#5  Postby palindnilap » Mar 01, 2010 8:38 pm

How does it work exactly ? Can I click on the link, surf the Amazon website and check out, or do I need to click on the link later in the process ? When I click the link I see that there is a "tag" parameter in the URL, but as soon as I click something on the Amazon website I don't see that parameter any more in the URL, and there seems to be nothing special on the page either. I suppose that Amazon knows where I come from, but I would just like to be sure that I am doing it the right way.
palindnilap
RS Donator
 
Posts: 509
Age: 47
Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#6  Postby Just Wondering » Mar 01, 2010 8:42 pm

palindnilap wrote:How does it work exactly ? Can I click on the link, surf the Amazon website and check out, or do I need to click on the link later in the process ? When I click the link I see that there is a "tag" parameter in the URL, but as soon as I click something on the Amazon website I don't see that parameter any more in the URL, and there seems to be nothing special on the page either. I suppose that Amazon knows where I come from, but I would just like to be sure that I am doing it the right way.


Wondering the same thing. I was about to order a couple of things. Waiting ... patiently. :dopey:
User avatar
Just Wondering
Banned User
 
Posts: 2766

Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#7  Postby LIFE » Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm

palindnilap wrote:How does it work exactly ? Can I click on the link, surf the Amazon website and check out, or do I need to click on the link later in the process ? When I click the link I see that there is a "tag" parameter in the URL, but as soon as I click something on the Amazon website I don't see that parameter any more in the URL, and there seems to be nothing special on the page either. I suppose that Amazon knows where I come from, but I would just like to be sure that I am doing it the right way.


You simply click this link instead of just browsing to Amazon. That's all there is to it :)
Amazon will recognize the tracking ID of that link (you should save it to your bookmarks) and you buy and checkout as usually, nothing else to do. Just copy/use the links above (respective to your country) instead of e.g. http://www.amazon.com. This way you buy your stuff for exactly the same price plus we get a share from Amazon, so your helping us out at the same time :)
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
User avatar
LIFE
Site Admin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Bernhard
Posts: 7152
Age: 36
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#8  Postby rachelbean » Mar 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Nice, bookmarked! :thumbup:
User avatar
rachelbean
 
Posts: 329
Age: 38
Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#9  Postby ashley » Mar 02, 2010 4:13 am

Perhaps someone could design a BBCode tag [AmazonURL] that parses URLs for products on Amazon and makes a link to the product that raises money for the site.
User avatar
ashley
 
Posts: 110
Age: 30
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#10  Postby palindnilap » Mar 02, 2010 8:58 am

LIFE wrote:You simply click this link instead of just browsing to Amazon. That's all there is to it :)
Amazon will recognize the tracking ID of that link (you should save it to your bookmarks) and you buy and checkout as usually, nothing else to do. Just copy/use the links above (respective to your country) instead of e.g. http://www.amazon.com. This way you buy your stuff for exactly the same price plus we get a share from Amazon, so your helping us out at the same time :)


Thanks for making me sure about that. I will soon make my first order in that way. An amazon.fr link would be nice, although 75% of my stuff comes from amazon.de .

How can you be sure that Amazon isn't cheating on you ? Not that I think they would, but maybe we could use this thread to report our orders with the amount, so that you can compare.
palindnilap
RS Donator
 
Posts: 509
Age: 47
Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#11  Postby palindnilap » Mar 02, 2010 9:00 am

ashley wrote:Perhaps someone could design a BBCode tag [AmazonURL] that parses URLs for products on Amazon and makes a link to the product that raises money for the site.


Great idea ! Often when we are referencing a book, the amazon.com link is one of the most informative ones anyway. The only problem would be for people who buy from .co.uk or .de .
palindnilap
RS Donator
 
Posts: 509
Age: 47
Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#12  Postby rachelbean » Mar 05, 2010 6:47 pm

I am wondering if there is a way to make sure the donations are going through. I have bought things and used the link several times this week (it's a problem I have) but it worries me since it only shows the tag on the first page. My guess is that it sets a cookie, but I'd love to be sure it's working.
User avatar
rachelbean
 
Posts: 329
Age: 38
Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#13  Postby palindnilap » Mar 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Just (5 minutes ago) sent an order for EUR 53.68 at amazon.de (is it really useful to tell?)
palindnilap
RS Donator
 
Posts: 509
Age: 47
Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#14  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 06, 2010 12:09 am

Just bookmarking so I'll remember.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6631
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#15  Postby LIFE » Mar 06, 2010 12:49 am

rachelsinatra wrote:I am wondering if there is a way to make sure the donations are going through. I have bought things and used the link several times this week (it's a problem I have) but it worries me since it only shows the tag on the first page. My guess is that it sets a cookie, but I'd love to be sure it's working.


Let me guess...either you own a dog, needed index cards for studies or some light :D
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
User avatar
LIFE
Site Admin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Bernhard
Posts: 7152
Age: 36
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#16  Postby rachelbean » Mar 07, 2010 10:41 pm

LIFE wrote:
rachelsinatra wrote:I am wondering if there is a way to make sure the donations are going through. I have bought things and used the link several times this week (it's a problem I have) but it worries me since it only shows the tag on the first page. My guess is that it sets a cookie, but I'd love to be sure it's working.


Let me guess...either you own a dog, needed index cards for studies or some light :D


:lol: all of the above.
User avatar
rachelbean
 
Posts: 329
Age: 38
Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#17  Postby The Doctor » Mar 07, 2010 11:20 pm

I buy hundreds of books from Amazon! :D
"We are omniscient, but confused." - Leibniz
Image

My blog: Monads Have No Windows
User avatar
The Doctor
RS Donator
 
Name: John Smith
Posts: 145
Age: 105
Male

Country: TARDIS
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#18  Postby xrayzed » Mar 08, 2010 12:57 am

Bookmarked. I have a few things on my wish list and I'm just about due for another round of ordering.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
User avatar
xrayzed
 
Posts: 1053
Age: 59
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#19  Postby The Doctor » Mar 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Do I have to click every time before I make an order? I just spent 179$ and forgot to click on here :S... I clicked a few days ago though.
"We are omniscient, but confused." - Leibniz
Image

My blog: Monads Have No Windows
User avatar
The Doctor
RS Donator
 
Name: John Smith
Posts: 145
Age: 105
Male

Country: TARDIS
Print view this post

Re: rationalskepticism.org - Amazon Associates Links

#20  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Cool!

and bookmarked!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Next

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest