Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The book... I Need You!

#22  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Sep 10, 2010 10:45 am

Is there anything out there on the web currently, as in guides to thinking critically? I need a starting point, in about 5 weeks time i will be done with exams and will have plenty of time to start learning new things.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby newolder » Sep 10, 2010 10:49 am

Just for practice, I received this by e-post recently:
A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke
by Joseph Lucas

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. Don't be fooled by scientists and engineers talking about excited electrons and the like. Smoke is the key to all things electrical.

We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a large copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions.

The logic is elementary and inescapable! The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring harness springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works right afterward.
Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they regularly released large quantities of smoke from the electrical system.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks, and disc brake systems leak fluid, British tyres leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defence secrets.

Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.
Sometimes you may miss the component releasing the smoke that makes your electrical system function correctly, but if you sniff around you can often find the faulty component by the undeniable and telltale smoke smell. Sometimes this is a better indicator than standard electrical tests performed with a volt-ohm meter.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a clear and logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components and why they fail.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark." - Joseph Lucas, 1842-1903

[/OT]
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby stijndeloose » Sep 10, 2010 11:03 am

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:Is there anything out there on the web currently, as in guides to thinking critically? I need a starting point, in about 5 weeks time i will be done with exams and will have plenty of time to start learning new things.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB4j0n2UDU[/youtube]
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 10, 2010 11:03 am

One subject that I would consider to be of fundamental importance in any such book, is a thorough exposition of the worthlessness of doctrine centred world views full stop, and why doctrine centred world views are not only ultimately useless, but pernicious. I've written enough on this subject to form an entire chapter. Which I can reprise here if needed.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Paul G » Sep 10, 2010 11:26 am

Is this going to take the form of an actual printed book or a dowloadable e-book, or both perhaps?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#27  Postby james1v » Sep 10, 2010 11:41 am

Glad to see this project resurrected. :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby jaydot » Sep 10, 2010 6:18 pm

all my stuff is open sourced under whichever creative commons license is deemed appropriate.

should i come up with something considered worthy to include, please accommodate the above.
jaydot

Print view this post

#29  Postby hackenslash » Sep 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Paul G wrote:Is this going to take the form of an actual printed book or a dowloadable e-book, or both perhaps?

Both, I hope.

Calilasseia wrote:One subject that I would consider to be of fundamental importance in any such book, is a thorough exposition of the worthlessness of doctrine centred world views full stop, and why doctrine centred world views are not only ultimately useless, but pernicious. I've written enough on this subject to form an entire chapter. Which I can reprise here if needed.

Indeed.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby HughMcB » Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm willing to do a full page spread... and I mean "spread". :naughty2:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby twistor59 » Sep 10, 2010 7:45 pm

A few gullibility categories that come to mind:

Health related woo

Creation related woo

Martial arts woo

Quantum Mechanics woo

Mind/body/spirit woo

NLP

Old wives tales/urban legends

Evolution related woo

Statistical woo

Millenium/End of the World woo

Ghostie woo (sorry Jerome !)

Climate change woo

Superstition

Intuition (when it tells you the wrong things)

Scaremongering

Bandwagons

Denialism
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Jain » Sep 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Great!!!! Not sure if you're going to include a converts corner type section, but free free to use mine. Its in my blog.

Maybe skeptical quotes would be good too at the start of chapters and a few nice natural history type pictures.

Anything I can help with, not sure what tha could be, dont hesitate to ask!
My Blog- http://lucyjain.wordpress.com/

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby hackenslash » Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks a lot, peeps. I'm going to be away for the next few days, but when I get back, I'm on it.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby j.mills » Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Calilasseia wrote:One subject that I would consider to be of fundamental importance in any such book, is a thorough exposition of the worthlessness of doctrine centred world views full stop, and why doctrine centred world views are not only ultimately useless, but pernicious. I've written enough on this subject to form an entire chapter. Which I can reprise here if needed.

I was gonna say something like that. If you're going to deal with religion in your project, it's worth considering heading off the "evil atheist regimes" argument at the pass, by talking from the outset about ideology. Adherence to a doctrine in defiance of evidence is as unsound for the leaders and supporters of a corrupt state (eg. Nazis, communism-as-practiced-by-Stalin) as it is for the followers of a religion. Equally, it's wrong for global-warming 'evangelists' and global-warming (hardline) 'skeptics' to defend their positions beyond the merits of the research. Religion, authoritarianism, and other -isms can be introduced as manifestations of the same disease: cleaving to propositions not supported by evidence.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby hackenslash » Sep 10, 2010 8:34 pm

That's already under consideration, under the heading 'blind adherence to doctrinal imperatives' and will encompass much of what Cali's talking about here.

Good shout.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby j.mills » Sep 10, 2010 9:47 pm

How about basic statistics? Not a course in how to do it, but the notions of statistical significance, effect of sample sizes, correlation and causal links, that kind of thing, encouraging a healthy scepticism towards the headline soundbite news reports of carcinogens, Alzheimer's treatments, MMR scares, etc. And brief discussion of the little-exposed methods of error-handling that researchers routinely use and the media routinely ignores.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Dracena » Sep 10, 2010 10:19 pm

:coffee:
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Occam's Laser » Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

twistor59 wrote:A few gullibility categories that come to mind:

Health related woo

Creation related woo

Martial arts woo

Quantum Mechanics woo

Mind/body/spirit woo

NLP

Old wives tales/urban legends

Evolution related woo

Statistical woo

Millenium/End of the World woo

Ghostie woo (sorry Jerome !)

Climate change woo

Superstition

Intuition (when it tells you the wrong things)

Scaremongering

Bandwagons

Denialism

Excellent approach - general categories on a storyboard, to be fleshed out later on. This seems to be a pretty comprehensive list. I have a few personal matters to take care of over the next few days but will re-engage early next week.
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby Kazaman » Sep 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Has anybody suggested a chapter concerning fallacies and what constitutes a logical argument?
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby hackenslash » Sep 11, 2010 4:35 am

That's definitely on the cards. Properly recognising a fallacy is first principles in assesssing claims.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements