Want to write essays & articles?

Check here for news about the site.

Moderators: LIFE, kiore

Re: Want to write essays & articles?

#81  Postby LIFE » Jun 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Please send all articles you'd like to be published on RS to info@rationalskepticism.org.
I already got a few good articles but just letting everyone know where to send the stuff.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby THWOTH » Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am

Got that Bernhard. :thumbup:

I'm just making a complete revision of my contribution in light of certain discussions I've had with members here. Just letting you know I haven't forgotten.

;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Will S » Jul 16, 2010 9:24 am

I have an advanced draft of an essay on 'Are there two kinds of theist?' It started life as a possible OP for a thread, and then ... well ... went into Topsy mode, and probably isn't suitable any longer for its original intended purpose.

Please let me know if you'd like to see it.

By the way, have any such essays/articles been published on the site yet? If they have, I can't find them.
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby LIFE » Jul 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Will S wrote:I have an advanced draft of an essay on 'Are there two kinds of theist?' It started life as a possible OP for a thread, and then ... well ... went into Topsy mode, and probably isn't suitable any longer for its original intended purpose.

Please let me know if you'd like to see it.

By the way, have any such essays/articles been published on the site yet? If they have, I can't find them.

Sure send it along.
Nothing has been published yet, will publish once the new site is up (there will be an extra area for articles, seperate from the forum).
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#85  Postby jerome » Jul 18, 2010 4:16 pm

I'd like to write something on placebos and somatic effects a - a critical study of the experimental literature. I'd be looking for a couple of medically qualified or orientated co-authors???

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Mick » Jul 18, 2010 7:46 pm

hey,

I'm a theist, but I could write a sympathetic interpretation of Hume's argument regarding testimony and miracles.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#87  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 19, 2010 10:31 am

jerome wrote:I'd like to write something on placebos and somatic effects a - a critical study of the experimental literature. I'd be looking for a couple of medically qualified or orientated co-authors???

j x

There's a member called SteveBrewer who'll know everything you need to know on that subject. He's pretty busy at the moment though so I don't know if he'll have time to help you or not, but at the very least he might be able to direct you toward some relevant research. Or he might just ignore you completely... :grin:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Eduard » Jul 19, 2010 10:35 am

:book: bookmarking
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Atheist PhD » Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm

I would be interested in writing something about the psychology of atheism, if that might be appropriate for this site.
Atheist PhD

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jul 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Atheist PhD wrote:I would be interested in writing something about the psychology of atheism, if that might be appropriate for this site.

I'd be interested in reading that!

ETA: It occurs to me that a lot of the interest in these articles (or at least to me) is going to be in the ideas and writing styles of our fellow forum members, not to mention the subjects they choose to write about.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Benach » Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

may I give a very general suggestion: form a small group of about 10 readers that is a peer reading group. From this pool 3 people are chosen by the team of mods to give their opinion of the article made. That way keeps a certain level in the articles.
Benach

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#92  Postby HughMcB » Jul 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Benach wrote:may I give a very general suggestion: form a small group of about 10 readers that is a peer reading group. From this pool 3 people are chosen by the team of mods to give their opinion of the article made. That way keeps a certain level in the articles.

As long as there is room for corruption and bribery then I'm ok with it.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Durro » Jul 29, 2010 6:29 am

OK, I've finished writing my Saudi book, so I've got some spare time on my hands.

I'd be willing to have a crack at "Evolution is only a theory".

And Hugh, the cheque is in the mail.
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#94  Postby The Doctor » Jul 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I could write an article about "Hume and miracles", or anything about Hume. I've carefully read and taken notes on his Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. I was thinking about writing one on free will and determinism (liberty and necessity), which Hume also addresses.
"We are omniscient, but confused." - Leibniz

My blog: Monads Have No Windows
The Doctor
RS Donator

Name: John Smith
Male

Print view this post

#95  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 29, 2010 2:31 pm

I'd like to submit one of my posts as a contender for an essay ... namely Why Design Assertionists Are Screwed ... (regulars will understand the reference in the title :mrgreen: ) ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Blitzkrebs » Jul 29, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm writing an article about the importance of philosophy, which also addresses some misconceptions about the field and the word "philosophy" itself.
ikster7579 wrote:Being rational is just an excuse for not wanting to have faith.
Blitzkrebs

Name: Roy
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Calilasseia wrote:I'd like to submit one of my posts as a contender for an essay ... namely Why Design Assertionists Are Screwed ... (regulars will understand the reference in the title :mrgreen: ) ...

Acktoooally, professional biologists do use a "design" paradigm when considering adaptation, but from an engineering standpoint of the organ or tissue involved, but the "designer" is, of course, NS, Sexual selection, drift etc...and is subject to the constraints of the process: like no "look-ahead capabilities", every stage must be functional and positively selected, etc, etc. So within this context, asking a question like "What is the purpose of a wing?", or how well does the wing do it's job?" etc, are perfectly valid. ;) ;)

There is actually something that looks like a "look ahead" capability in evolution because genes build bodies that can cope with historical environments. As environmental conditions often cycle, then some trait can look "predictive" because the organism's gene pool has encountered that condition before. Like fur coats molting for the onset of summer. Plus there is "bet-hedging"...by some females that will mate with multiple males in the hope [metaphorically speaking, of course] that a more genetically diverse litter of offspring will allow some of the young to survive in a greater range of environmental stresses. Creationists see all this as some sort of divine plan, of course. They ignore the blood, death and suffering that the NS process uses to produce such [apparent] "fine-tuning" of organism to environment. There is also, sex, parasite loads etc....

The larger the population, [and hence the amount of variation available in the gene pool] and the faster the generational rate, the mutanogenic stimuli [radiation, toxins etc] the more likely an appropriate mutation will turn up to save the day, and be able to meet a novel environmental challenge. So under Hardy-Weinburg equilibrium conditions, the right mutation[s] will appear instantaneously. However, [of course] H-W conditions are never seen in nature, but populations and generation times etc are often large enough to save a species from extinction. But of course, in the end, extinction is inevitable. The law of averages catches up. ;)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#98  Postby Will S » Aug 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Is there a date yet for the launch of this new section?
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#99  Postby maik » Aug 02, 2010 3:26 pm

I propose also a new function regarding the article- senction.
Next to the "quote" button maybe there can be a "recomment it as article" button or something like that, so the good posts can be voted to be articles in our forum. The poster will not be able to vote for their own post.
ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ Δ.
maik

Name: Μιχαήλ
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Steve » Aug 03, 2010 2:06 pm

maik wrote:I propose also a new function regarding the article- senction.
Next to the "quote" button maybe there can be a "recomment it as article" button or something like that, so the good posts can be voted to be articles in our forum. The poster will not be able to vote for their own post.

+1
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements