Your blog on rationalskepticism.org

Check here for news about the site.

Moderators: LIFE, kiore

Your blog on rationalskepticism.org

#1  Postby LIFE » Jul 30, 2010 2:24 pm

I've gotten a lot of requests from people who've asked me if there is any way of hosting their blogs on our server.

So here's the thing: I've got 2 blog software solutions I can offer: Textpattern and Wordpress.

Textpattern is more flexible but has a bigger learning curve and it uses Textile instead of an RTF-Editor (like on this board). You can check out the use of Textile here, it's very easy once you get the hang of it.

As for the blog itself I can setup the accounts, offer you the space and a subdomain, such as http://life.rationalskepticism.org or you can use your own (sub)domain if you have access to the DNS/IP records (which you need to point to this server).

Optionally your blog can be linked on our upcoming site once it's ready (when it's done :smoke:).

Just respond here or drop me a PM if you're interested.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Your blog on rationalskepticism.org

#2  Postby mmmcheezy » Jul 30, 2010 2:26 pm

I have an existing tumblog. When you say the blog can be linked, do you mean you would just post a link/blogroll for every off-site blog interested? Because if that's the case, I'm extremely interested.
My site is www.mmmcheezy.tumblr.com
:D
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby natselrox » Jul 30, 2010 2:45 pm

I was planning on starting a series of science essays aimed at a very young audience. (Roughly based on 'Uncle Syd' columns by Brenner.) LIFE's seems to be the place!

But TBH, I think, blogging has been overdone and one needs to come up with a new format.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#4  Postby LIFE » Jul 30, 2010 11:25 pm

natselrox wrote:I was planning on starting a series of science essays aimed at a very young audience. (Roughly based on 'Uncle Syd' columns by Brenner.) LIFE's seems to be the place!

But TBH, I think, blogging has been overdone and one needs to come up with a new format.

Great...you killed the thread! :lol:
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Tyrannical » Jul 31, 2010 6:48 am

Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby natselrox » Jul 31, 2010 7:35 am

LIFE wrote:
natselrox wrote:I was planning on starting a series of science essays aimed at a very young audience. (Roughly based on 'Uncle Syd' columns by Brenner.) LIFE's seems to be the place!

Great...you killed the thread! :lol:

Uh oh... :silenced:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby johannessiig » Jul 31, 2010 9:32 pm

Personally, I'd pick WordPress, as many of us already are accustomed to its user interface. It is powerful, looks brilliant and can make use of a fuckload of themes and plugins already made for it. It can be set to host multiple sites in one MySQL database and one installation. However, it can sometimes be a bitch to configure.

But it's your call, and I will probably not even want one, as I have my own blogs that I pay to keep running.
johannessiig

Name: N/A
Male

Mexico (mx)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby LIFE » Jul 31, 2010 10:09 pm

johannessiig wrote:Personally, I'd pick WordPress, as many of us already are accustomed to its user interface. It is powerful, looks brilliant and can make use of a fuckload of themes and plugins already made for it. It can be set to host multiple sites in one MySQL database and one installation. However, it can sometimes be a bitch to configure.

But it's your call, and I will probably not even want one, as I have my own blogs that I pay to keep running.

I should have made it more clear that it's up to the individual who wants his blog hosted here that he can choose which solutions suits him/her best ;) Oh and it's for free of course, another tiny detail I forgot to mention :D
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Return to Announcements