11.6MYA European Hominid

Danuvius guggenmosi

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

11.6MYA European Hominid

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 23, 2019 10:23 pm

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1731-0

Many ideas have been proposed to explain the origin of bipedalism in hominins and suspension in great apes (hominids); however, fossil evidence has been lacking. It has been suggested that bipedalism in hominins evolved from an ancestor that was a palmigrade quadruped (which would have moved similarly to living monkeys), or from a more suspensory quadruped (most similar to extant chimpanzees)1. Here we describe the fossil ape Danuvius guggenmosi (from the Allgäu region of Bavaria) for which complete limb bones are preserved, which provides evidence of a newly identified form of positional behaviour—extended limb clambering. The 11.62-million-year-old Danuvius is a great ape that is dentally most similar to Dryopithecus and other European late Miocene apes. With a broad thorax, long lumbar spine and extended hips and knees, as in bipeds, and elongated and fully extended forelimbs, as in all apes (hominoids), Danuvius combines the adaptations of bipeds and suspensory apes, and provides a model for the common ancestor of great apes and humans.

A further iteration supporting the idea that bipedalism, or preadaptations of bipedalism, predate the divergence of the human lineage from the other great apes.

This chap would have been living at approximately the time when the orangutan lineage evolved, and not long before the ancestor of gorillas.

Our common ancestor already had a more bipedal posture, using the reach of longer limbs and upright position to manoeuvre around in the trees. Bipedalism in our lineage evolved as an adaptation for arboreal not terrestrial locomotion.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 11.6MYA European Hominid

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm

An image of the finds for those who don't have access:

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby zoon » Nov 24, 2019 10:41 am

Does this suggest that the common ancestor of the hominids could have been somewhat like gibbons, which don't walk quadrupedally at all, occasionally walk bipedally, and usually travel through trees by swinging with their arms?
zoon

Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 24, 2019 10:57 am

Could be a good notional model for imagining how guggenmosi might have moved. Gibbons always walk bipedally while on the ground. They look a bit uncomfortable when they do so; a strange lightness to their movement like they're tip-toeing. :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Nov 24, 2019 11:02 am

My knowledge of skeletons is basically non existent but, is this find about a guy with 3 legs? :ask: Did it originate on the Isle of Man or did it come from Mars? :ahrr:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 24, 2019 3:00 pm

The Smithsonian article on this discovery includes a referrer access token link to the full paper in the fourth paragraph. It's a good article in its own right.
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Good find!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Anthropology