Cave paintings change ideas about the origin of art

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Cave paintings change ideas about the origin of art

#1  Postby DougC » Oct 08, 2014 10:03 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29415716
B.B.C. Article
Scientists have identified some of the earliest cave paintings produced by humans.
The artworks are in a rural area on the Indonesian Island of Sulawesi.
Until now, paintings this old had been confirmed in caves only in Western Europe.
Researchers tell the journal Nature that the Indonesian discovery transforms ideas about how humans first developed the ability to produce art.
Australian and Indonesian scientists have dated layers of stalactite-like growths that have formed over coloured outlines of human hands.
Early artists made them by carefully blowing paint around hands that were pressed tightly against the cave walls and ceilings. The oldest is at least 40,000 years old.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Cave paintings change ideas about the origin of art

#2  Postby tuco » Oct 09, 2014 2:59 am

I've read the article but I do not understand how, except Euro-centric view of a creative explosion , it changes ideas about origin of art. When I think about origin of arts I ask Why not When or Where, admittedly because I am ignorant.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby igorfrankensteen » Oct 09, 2014 4:24 am

Yeah, so many of these kinds of reports are confused by either archaeologists with insufficiently broad educational backgrounds, or by thick headed reporters who leap to conclusions themselves, and put ignorant words into the mouths of the archaeologists.

All that is factually known, is the approximate age of a very few cave paintings. Claiming that cave paintings show us THE origin of "art," in humans, is as brainy as saying that cars show us the origin of the idea of travel.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Always worth reading the source article to see how scientists report this to their peers:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 13422.html

Archaeologists have long been puzzled by the appearance in Europe ~40–35 thousand years (kyr) ago of a rich corpus of sophisticated artworks, including parietal art (that is, paintings, drawings and engravings on immobile rock surfaces)1, 2 and portable art (for example, carved figurines)3, 4, and the absence or scarcity of equivalent, well-dated evidence elsewhere, especially along early human migration routes in South Asia and the Far East, including Wallacea and Australia5, 6, 7, 8, where modern humans (Homo sapiens) were established by 50 kyr ago

The point is that little or no evidence had been found prior in South and South East Asia - that is a puzzle, but of course has numerous explanations that are well known in the discipline; for example, there's an automatic bias on account of the level of research conducted in different areas, there's the problem of much of the early human migration routes now being submerged off the coast, and the different climatic effects on preservation of material culture.

Definitely a case of science reporting being done all-too-typically wrong. It's great to inspire people to value such a discovery, to impress on people its importance, but not to the detriment of the very discipline which discovered it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Jan 14, 2021 4:47 pm

World’s oldest cave art discovered in Indonesia

A team of Griffith University archaeologists has shared in the discovery of what may be the world’s oldest known cave painting, dating back to at least 45,500 years ago.

[snip]

https://news.griffith.edu.au/2021/01/14 ... indonesia/
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jan 14, 2021 8:01 pm

And it's a piggy! Even cavemen love bacon.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to Anthropology