Khmer Kingdom

Huge cities lost in jungles

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Khmer Kingdom

#21  Postby Sendraks » Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Earlier

2014 > 1200 - I have a feeling the math works out! :grin:

And "fallen back as a species" - how's that make sense?

Why doesn't it make sense to you?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Onyx8 » Sep 23, 2014 10:12 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Stand by for merge…done.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Zwaarddijk » Sep 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

Why doesn't it make sense to you?

In what ways have we fallen back? Did the ancient Khmers have widespread education? Would a person born into the lowest class have any chance of hearing about wild concepts such as science? Would anything but unquestioning obedience to the upper classes ever be taught them?

Awe for backwards religious cultures is the dumbest thing we can cultivate, seriously, even worse when we phrase it as though mankind has regressed since those days.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 24, 2014 8:35 am

Zwaarddijk wrote:

No idea, I wasn't talking about that bit! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Sendraks » Sep 24, 2014 9:25 am

Zwaarddijk wrote:
In what ways have we fallen back? Did the ancient Khmers have widespread education? Would a person born into the lowest class have any chance of hearing about wild concepts such as science? Would anything but unquestioning obedience to the upper classes ever be taught them?

Who knows?

Zwaarddijk wrote:Awe for backwards religious cultures is the dumbest thing we can cultivate, seriously, even worse when we phrase it as though mankind has regressed since those days.

Yeah, you've got the wrong end of the stick here. I'm really not interested in any of that. I'm looking purely at what amounts a significant civil edifice and all the woo bullshit aside, they clearly had quite and advanced civil and administrative regime running there.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby Zwaarddijk » Sep 24, 2014 9:32 am

Sendraks wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

Who knows?

Zwaarddijk wrote:Awe for backwards religious cultures is the dumbest thing we can cultivate, seriously, even worse when we phrase it as though mankind has regressed since those days.

Yeah, you've got the wrong end of the stick here. I'm really not interested in any of that. I'm looking purely at what amounts a significant civil edifice and all the woo bullshit aside, they clearly had quite and advanced civil and administrative regime running there.

Then don't express it as the *species* regressing. Say what you mean, don't wriggle around until you can pretend you didn't say something embarassingly stupid.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Sendraks » Sep 24, 2014 9:48 am

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Then don't express it as the *species* regressing. Say what you mean, don't wriggle around until you can pretend you didn't say something embarassingly stupid.

I don't recall saying anything embarrassingly stupid and your facile attempts to pretend that I did doesn't make it so. You would do well to take the time to better understand what someone else is thinking, before trying to slag them off.

While the Khemer were busy building what appears to be one hell of an impressive civic centre, Europe was busy dribbling its way through the dark ages, following the collapse of the preceding civilisation.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Sounds technical and I'm a bimbo.

Install Hola Unblocker onto Firefox. You can then choose a country to be in. I use it all the time to listen to the football on Five Live. It's often not quick enough for TV though (probably my shitty internet connection rather than the software). But people often put the BBC's stuff up on Youtube and they don't seem too bothered about it. Failing that, it'll definitely be available as a torrent fairly soon after it airs.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Alan B » Sep 24, 2014 3:18 pm

OT.
Coo! That's interesting. I'll try that later so that I can watch Jon Stewart in full instead of the truncated version we get in the UK.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby crank » Jun 11, 2016 1:06 pm

There's an update, I think, in The Guardian if anyone's still interested. Fascinating stuff.
Archaeologists in Cambodia have found multiple, previously undocumented medieval cities not far from the ancient temple city of Angkor Wat, the Guardian can reveal, in groundbreaking discoveries that promise to upend key assumptions about south-east Asia’s history.

The Australian archaeologist Dr Damian Evans, whose findings will be published in the Journal of Archaeological Science on Monday, will announce that cutting-edge airborne laser scanning technology has revealed multiple cities between 900 and 1,400 years old beneath the tropical forest floor, some of which rival the size of Cambodia’s capital, Phnom Penh.

Some experts believe that the recently analysed data – captured in 2015 during the most extensive airborne study ever undertaken by an archaeological project, covering 734 sq miles (1,901 sq km) – shows that the colossal, densely populated cities would have constituted the largest empire on earth at the time of its peak in the 12th century.

Evans said: “We have entire cities discovered beneath the forest that no one knew were there – at Preah Khan of Kompong Svay and, it turns out, we uncovered only a part of Mahendraparvata on Phnom Kulen [in the 2012 survey] … this time we got the whole deal and it’s big, the size of Phnom Penh big.”
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Anthropology