'Oldest axe' was made by early Australians

World’s earliest ground-edge axe production coincides with human colonisation of Australia

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

'Oldest axe' was made by early Australians

#1  Postby DougC » May 11, 2016 3:55 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36256733

B.B.C. Article
A tiny stone flake from north-western Australia is a remnant of the earliest known axe with a handle, archaeologists have claimed.
The fingernail-sized sliver of basalt is ground smooth at one end and appears to date from 44 to 49,000 years ago.

The researchers believe the stone came from an axe head like these

This is not long after humans first settled Australia - and several thousand years earlier than previous, similar ground-stone discoveries.
The findings appear in the journal Australian Archaeology.
Although much older "hand axes", usually made of flint, have been found across Europe and Africa - one well-known example found on a Norfolk beach is thought to be 700,000 years old - those were very different tools.
Axe blades made from harder stone, painstakingly battered into blades, are known from sites in several discrete locations around the globe including northern Asia, the Americas - and Australia.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: 'Oldest axe' was made by early Australians

#2  Postby DougC » May 11, 2016 4:06 am

This reminds me, I knew a guy who was an Archaeological Artist/Illustrator. He showed me an axe head that had been unearthed on one of the Shetland islands in a grave. For the people who put it in the grave the nearest modern equivalent would have been like burying something like the value of a BMW.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » May 11, 2016 5:22 am

Reminds me of a friend of mine who on his travels on bike through Africa met a local who invited him to meet his family and tribe. The family had 5 goats and killed one in order to greet him appropriately, then gave him the goat eye to eat as honour. Anyway, 1/5 of their wealth to greet him but I do not think its like BWM. They do not have this fucked up values.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby DougC » May 11, 2016 5:37 am

That is our values. To someone in the past the person in the grave might have been worth giving such a high value item for the 'next world'. I think that the BMW analogy might have been to illustrate the importance of the axe to them.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » May 11, 2016 6:21 am

I am not bickering here, just pointing out - being funny - about our values. I do not think the two (values) are comparable. So I take it BMW is of importance to you ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby DougC » May 11, 2016 11:45 pm

Yes I see your point, I did not think you where having a go. :)

A BMW as a unit of value is like the Olympic size swimming pool is to volume, Wales is to area and Nelson's Column is to hight.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Anthropology