Paleo Diet: Rubbish?

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Paleo Diet: Rubbish?

#81  Postby Pebble » Jul 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
From the standpoint of macronutrient intake, paleo is very similar to the version of Atkins tested in that trial. The main differences are in specific foods, as paleo permits fresh whole fruit, which is prohibited on Atkins during the induction period.

If you want to argue that paleo is a worse diet than Atkins because it permits fruit, feel free, but I'm not going to agree with you.

The Atkins diet had nothing to do with macronutrient theory. This was about limiting carbohydrate intake to as close to zero as possible, then gradually reintroducing them to a level associated with stability. Fruits are a source of carbohydrate. So when the paleo gurus complete a trial of similar size and construction to that managed for the Atkin's diet they may be able to claim parity - not just riding on the coat tails of other research.

Unfortuantely for the Atkin's supporters, the diet is unpalatable, associated with unpleasant social effects and consistent compliance is low - thus tends toward repeating the boom-bust cycle of most diet fads.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#82  Postby AlohaChris » Jul 03, 2012 12:57 am

What were the unpleasant social effects?
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Sovereign » Jul 03, 2012 1:15 am

AlohaChris wrote:What were the unpleasant social effects?

Did they pass a lot of gas?
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Pebble » Jul 03, 2012 5:44 am

Sovereign wrote:
AlohaChris wrote:What were the unpleasant social effects?

Did they pass a lot of gas?

High fat/High protein - lots for GI bugs to metabolise - very smelly from the decay of protein, and the grease made it difficult to control exit times.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 03, 2012 5:46 am

You farted a lot and occasionally shit yourself?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Sovereign » Jul 04, 2012 2:16 am

Onyx8 wrote:You farted a lot and occasionally shit yourself?

You have such an eloquent way of phrasing things :rofl:
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 04, 2012 2:33 am

I kinda thought I was just translating. :)
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#88  Postby AlohaChris » Jul 04, 2012 2:47 am

My flatulence level decreased significantly when I stopped eating grain/carbs.
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jul 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I kinda thought I was just translating. :)

We have a thread over in social slightly related to this.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#90  Postby HAJiME » Sep 23, 2012 6:41 pm

AlohaChris wrote:My flatulence level decreased significantly when I stopped eating grain/carbs.

I've cut down on them and now I notice that when I do eat them, I suffer.

I'm currently eating a bag of pretzels. I'll regret it later.

Has Sally Fallon been brought up in this thread yet? I'd really like to know how much of what she spouts is bollocks.
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Pebble » Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

HAJiME wrote:

Has Sally Fallon been brought up in this thread yet? I'd really like to know how much of what she spouts is bollocks.

A reasonable summary is found here http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#92  Postby HAJiME » Sep 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Pebble wrote:
HAJiME wrote:

A reasonable summary is found here http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

I've read that article before. It doesn't mention her or thoughts on digestive dietary requirements.
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Pebble » Sep 24, 2012 6:25 am

HAJiME wrote:
Pebble wrote:
HAJiME wrote:

I've read that article before. It doesn't mention her or thoughts on digestive dietary requirements.

No it merely provides the 'logical' basis for the theory - which is subsequently followed by slavish selective review of the literature to promote the few supportive findings while ignoring any contradictory evidence - pseudoscience.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Alan C » May 05, 2013 10:09 am

AlohaChris wrote:
Cereal grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, etc) and legumes (beans, lentils, peas, peanuts etc.) have evolved toxic compounds to prevent predation. These anti-nutritional compounds include lectins, saponins, protease inhibitors, phytate, thaumatin like proteins, alkylresorcinols, and others whose effects range from lethal toxicity to benign depending upon the antinutrient and the species of predator. In humans, exposure to these toxins manifest as auto-immune disorders, inflammatory disease, Celiac's disease, non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI), Type II diabetes, and vitamin deficiencies.

Source: http://thepaleodiet.com/published-research

Cordain L, Toohey L, Smith MJ, Hickey MS. Modulation of immune function by dietary lectins in rheumatoid arthritis. British Journal of Nutrition, 2000, 83:207-217.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Abstract
Abstract: Despite the almost universal clinical observation that inflammation of the gut is frequently associated with inflammation of the joints and vice versa, the nature of this relationship remains elusive. In the present review, we provide evidence for how the interaction of dietary lectins with enterocytes and lymphocytes may facilitate the translocation of both dietary and gut-derived pathogenic antigens to peripheral tissues, which in turn causes persistent peripheral antigenic stimulation. In genetically susceptible individuals, this antigenic stimulation may ultimately result in the expression of overt rheumatoid arthritis (RA) via molecular mimicry, a process whereby foreign peptides, similar in structure to endogenous peptides, may cause antibodies or T- lymphocytes to cross-react with both foreign and endogenous peptides and thereby break immunological tolerance. By eliminating dietary elements, particularly lectins, which adversely influence both enterocyte and lymphocyte structure and function, it is proposed that the peripheral antigenic stimulus (both pathogenic and dietary) will be reduced and thereby result in a diminution of disease symptoms in certain patients with RA.

Link to download PDF of paper.

I was just looking into this recently
Lectins are in everything are they not? Some are easily disabled by heating/cooking it seems.

I was reading this site as linked;
http://www.outlawfitnesshq.com/why-grains-and-gluten-arent-bad-for-you/
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Anthropology