Relatives coming out of the woodwork

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Relatives coming out of the woodwork

#1  Postby Macdoc » Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

good read

Bones found in Philippines may belong to previously unknown human relative

The right upper teeth of the individual CCH6 of the newly discovered species Homo luzonensis. From left are two premolars and three molars. (Callao Cave Archaeology Project/Associated Press)

Understanding human evolution in Asia now 'messier, more complicated,' scientist says

The Associated Press · Posted: Apr 10, 2019 4:19 PM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

Thirteen fossil bones and teeth excavated in a cave in the Philippines represent an enigmatic previously unknown human species, probably small in stature and possessing an unexpected mix of archaic and modern traits, scientists said on Wednesday.

more
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/bone ... -1.5092607

snip

'Smoke from a much, much bigger fire'

After all, he said in an interview, remains of the hobbits and H. luzonensis show a mix of primitive and more modern traits that differ from what's seen in H. erectus. They look more like what one what might find in Africa 1.5 to 2.5 million years ago, and which might have been carried out of that continent by the mystery species, he said.

The discovery of a new human relative on Luzon might be "smoke from a much, much bigger fire," he said.

Michael Petraglia of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Jena, Germany, said the Luzon find "shows we still know very little about human evolution, particularly in Asia."

More such discoveries will probably emerge with further work in the region, which is under-studied, he said in an email.

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Relatives coming out of the woodwork

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 12, 2019 10:15 pm

I have to say that this one came out of the blue for me.

I knew about the original finding from a decade or so ago, but I thought it was going to prove to be much more mundane. Not much to go on with a 6cm metatarsal, after all.

If this is unequivocally agreed upon to be the new species it appears to be, then wow... the mess of human evolutionary history just got so much messier, and so much more fun! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Svartalf » Apr 12, 2019 10:43 pm

well, in the meantime, I'm left wondering how much Neanderthal and possibly Denisovan I have in my genetic make up, and that's still relatively simple as I'm 100% western European.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 12, 2019 11:42 pm

If your assumption about your genetic heritage is correct, then approximately 1-2% Neanderthal, and no Denisovan.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Svartalf » Apr 12, 2019 11:59 pm

assuming I'm right, which is not guaranteed... I've got a somewhat complicated family tree (but then again, who doesn"t?)

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Apr 13, 2019 12:36 am

Shrimpy, perhaps somewhat arboreal humans. :kitten: I think I'm losing track of how many relatives we had alive at one geologically recent time.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 13, 2019 1:08 am

Svartalf wrote:assuming I'm right, which is not guaranteed... I've got a somewhat complicated family tree (but then again, who doesn"t?)

That family tree is becoming more complicated every year! :)

Unless you've got Basque in your make-up, you can probably be reasonably certain of your genetic heritage of the last 7,000 years anyway.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 13, 2019 1:09 am

The_Piper wrote:Shrimpy, perhaps somewhat arboreal humans. :kitten: I think I'm losing track of how many relatives we had alive at one geologically recent time.

I really love the idea that a lot of our oldest myths of various trolls, elves, dwarves and the like come from ancient memories of encounters with our non-sapien brethren.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Piper » Apr 13, 2019 2:22 am

That would be pretty cool, mostly. Scary too though. :lol: :lol:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Svartalf » Apr 13, 2019 8:26 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Svartalf wrote:assuming I'm right, which is not guaranteed... I've got a somewhat complicated family tree (but then again, who doesn"t?)

That family tree is becoming more complicated every year! :)

Unless you've got Basque in your make-up, you can probably be reasonably certain of your genetic heritage of the last 7,000 years anyway.

Basque is not very likely, though possible, what I think more about is the likelihood of Moorish or Spanish Jewish ancestry goinjg back somewhere between 1492 and the 1600s, even though my family is deeply catholic on both sides since at least the 1800s... got a number of men and women of the Cloth in the family, and even a great grand nuncle who was beatified.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Apr 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Some more detailed info on the find
A new tiny hominin discovery gives the 'hobbit' a distant cousin

Discovered in the Philippines, this new human relative changes our picture of 'out of Africa'

CBC Radio · Posted: Apr 13, 2019 12:00 PM ET | Last Updated: April 13

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/april-1 ... -1.5093735
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Anthropology