Study claims that Irishmen descended from Turkish farmers

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Study claims that Irishmen descended from Turkish farmers

#1  Postby aliihsanasl » Dec 14, 2015 8:13 pm

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Study claims that Irishmen descended from Turkish farmers

#2  Postby jamest » Dec 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Why would there be more Turkish farmers in Ireland than in Britain? You'd think that the further away from Turkey you got, the less Turkish genetic influence there would be. :scratch:

Also, if this is true then why does the average Irish person look nothing like your average Turk?
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Dec 14, 2015 9:45 pm

jamest wrote:Why would there be more Turkish farmers in Ireland than in Britain? You'd think that the further away from Turkey you got, the less Turkish genetic influence there would be. :scratch:

Also, if this is true then why does the average Irish person look nothing like your average Turk?

Maybe they were trying to head West and couldn't go any further so stopped in Ireland?

Or they were trying to get as far away from Turkish women as possible? :naughty2:

As for their appearance: 10,000 years or more living in Ireland's climate might reduce any evolutionary advantage of skin pigment.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby aliihsanasl » Dec 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Blackadder wrote:
jamest wrote:Why would there be more Turkish farmers in Ireland than in Britain? You'd think that the further away from Turkey you got, the less Turkish genetic influence there would be. :scratch:

Maybe they were trying to head West and couldn't go any further so stopped in Ireland?

Or they were trying to get as far away from Turkish women as possible? :naughty2:

As for their appearance: 10,000 years or more living in Ireland's climate might reduce any evolutionary advantage of skin pigment.

What's not mentioned in that article is they moved from the northern part of Anatolia, many people in that part of Anatolia look like Irish people most of them blond and redhead. Even once I talked with someone Turkish thinking that he was from black sea he said "I'm from Ireland, nothing surprising some say our roots are from there"

Their music similar gayda and tulum are very similar instruments when someone say Ireland first thing coming to my mind Gayda just like black sea reminds Tulum.

Tayyip Erdoğan is from black sea, his son Bilal is redhead

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jamest » Dec 14, 2015 11:16 pm

Blackadder wrote:

They arrived 6,000 years ago, apparently.

I've thought of another reasonable question. Are there any links between the languages, because if there aren't then something's wrong.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jamest » Dec 14, 2015 11:33 pm

aliihsanasl wrote:
Blackadder wrote:

What's not mentioned in that article is they moved from the northern part of Anatolia, many people in that part of Anatolia look like Irish people most of them blond and redhead. Even once I talked with someone Turkish thinking that he was from black sea he said "I'm from Ireland, nothing surprising some say our roots are from there"

Why would they fail to mention that, given the massive distinction in physical appearance between your average red-head and your average Turk? :nono:

And are there any theories why there are so few Turks who look like the son of Tayyip Erdoğan now, in the north of Turkey? Did they ALL migrate? If so, why?

Anything to do with Noah's flood? :lol:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby EvertVd » Dec 15, 2015 1:16 am

I lived a few years in Turkey. It is a region with a long and complex history which has seen many invasions, wars etc. What is called the Turkish people these days is probably a big genetic pool. In the South-West the dominant 'look' has Greek characteristics, in the north-west you see a lot of similarities with southern balkan states and in the east more Persian influences can be seen. Some Turks even look like they are from India. A massive invasion (cannot remember what year) from tribes from a region in current day Mongolia has left its mark also. I even read a study once that Turks and Native-Americans share similar traits (it may have been wrong).
The point is; not sure what would be considered a 'Turk' genetically speaking. A long time ago (6000 years sounds about right if memory serves) the region consisted of many smaller countries and city-states and there was a lot of traffic. I wish these articles would be a bit more specific.
EvertVd

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Return to Anthropology