Trans Pacific ...800 years ago.

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Trans Pacific ...800 years ago.

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jul 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Explains a few things...

Polynesian and South American people met, interbred many centuries ago

People 6,800 kilometres away by sea share DNA, showing interbreeding 800 years ago

New genetic research shows that there was mingling between ancient Indigenous peoples from Polynesia and South America, revealing a single episode of interbreeding roughly 800 years ago after an epic transoceanic journey.

The question of such contact — which was long hypothesized, in part based on the enduring presence in Polynesia of a staple food in the form of the sweet potato that originated in South and Central America — had been keenly debated among scientists.

Scientists said on Wednesday an examination of DNA from 807 people — from 14 Polynesian islands and Pacific coastal Indigenous populations from Mexico to Chile — definitively resolved the matter.

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Jul 09, 2020 7:41 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

more

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/poly ... -1.5643074
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Trans Pacific ...800 years ago.

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 28, 2020 3:52 pm

There's a whole load of studies being published right now about sea-faring interactions of the past. The palaeolithic colonization of the Caribbean and the Ryukyu islands, and an ancient sea-faring people on the Mariana Islands - the proto-Polynesians.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby kiore » Dec 28, 2020 5:21 pm

It really shouldn't be surprising to imagine Polynesian navigators reaching South American and returning, the well demonstrated spread of their travels reaches from the Hawaiian islands in the north, New Zealand/Aotearoa in the south west to Rapanui (Easter Is) in the eastern Pacific. If you think the 3000+ klm jump from Rapanui to mainland South America just too far, well perhaps it was for some or even most of the attempts, but it clear from the settlement of New Zealand/Aotearoa around 800 years ago that voyages of over 2000 klms without land could be successful and those voyagers arrived with a cool climate suitable crop, the kumara sweetpotato originating in central/south america..
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Dec 29, 2020 12:23 am

Spreadin' that seed, the old genetic imperative. Dudes went a long way for some strange.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Blackadder » Dec 29, 2020 2:14 pm

laklak wrote:Spreadin' that seed, the old genetic imperative. Dudes went a long way for some strange.

I see, I conquer, I come?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Dec 30, 2020 4:44 pm

I remember when researchers weren't clear on if modern humans and neanderthals mated. I guess they have to be objective, but I was thinking "of course they mated!!" Humans will mate with fruit if need be. :lol:

Onto the thread, I'd heard of this and while not really surprised at all, I'm impressed as hell that enough survived the journey to have an impact.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Challenger007 » Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Spearthrower wrote:There's a whole load of studies being published right now about sea-faring interactions of the past. The palaeolithic colonization of the Caribbean and the Ryukyu islands, and an ancient sea-faring people on the Mariana Islands - the proto-Polynesians.

Well, we are used to the idea that all the discoveries were made by European countries. But after all, not only in Europe lived people who came up with the idea to build such a ship that can cover a long distance. And some shipping laws could be discovered not only by the Dutch or the British, for example.
Challenger007

Name: Alex Johnson

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Challenger007 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:There's a whole load of studies being published right now about sea-faring interactions of the past. The palaeolithic colonization of the Caribbean and the Ryukyu islands, and an ancient sea-faring people on the Mariana Islands - the proto-Polynesians.

Well, we are used to the idea that all the discoveries were made by European countries. But after all, not only in Europe lived people who came up with the idea to build such a ship that can cover a long distance. And some shipping laws could be discovered not only by the Dutch or the British, for example.

Not really sure what this has to do with events that occurred thousands and thousands of years before the existence of any European nation. Note that we're talking about the palaeolithic era.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Anthropology