Was Lombroso right?

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Was Lombroso right?

#41  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 16, 2012 2:23 pm

:coffee:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby lobawad » Sep 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I wonder if anyone is so amazingly stupid as to take this kind of thing seriously.

When I do presentations on art and music, I sometimes do an acting demonstration of criminal/honest man, lying/telling the truth. Most people laugh when seeing how easy it is to create such illusions- once in a while some people seem to be enraged by the demonstration. Though of course I don't know if they are enraged- only stupid sheep are convinced of such things. The rest of us with some brains and life experience take our time and judge by actions not appearances.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Bribase » Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm

50%
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

Dickens wrote:One guy claims to get a 90% result using Edenic Phrenology

http://excavatingeden.com/2012/09/09/ap ... -not-quiz/

Yeah, on one single test. Unfortunately, not very robust is it.

Shall we try my model of flipping a coin?

Overall, we know that would work out approximately 50% correct... but if I just did it once, it's entirely possible I'd get 100% right without even looking at the screen.

That's why pseudoscience is called pseudoscience! :cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 04, 2013 10:25 am

Dickens wrote:
Sovereign wrote:No more like socioeconomic status. Turn of the century it was the Irish.

Even if the crime rates are a result of a socioeconomic status, this does not refute the argument that a method based on what you call bigotry and prejudice yields a better than random results. Seven times better in my example.

What a fantastically weak analytical ability you possess. Perhaps you'd be interested in buying a second hand car off me/
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

<another why-is-this-in-anthropology/archaeology-forum-thread>

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Rumraket » Jan 04, 2013 11:39 am

Yeah I got 50%, exactly as expected from random chance. I don't believe it's possible to "tell a criminal just by the way they look".
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Sovereign » Jan 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Rumraket wrote:Yeah I got 50%, exactly as expected from random chance. I don't believe it's possible to "tell a criminal just by the way they look".

I thiknk the Libor Scandal just showed that on a grand scale.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Warren Dew » Feb 20, 2013 4:11 am

Sovereign wrote:
Dickens wrote:
Sovereign wrote:No more like socioeconomic status. Turn of the century it was the Irish.

Even if the crime rates are a result of a socioeconomic status, this does not refute the argument that a method based on what you call bigotry and prejudice yields a better than random results. Seven times better in my example.

Next, what is the similarity with the Irish? Did they at the turn of the century commit 7-8 times more murders per capita than the WASPs?

Even those stats are being called into question lately. What is your argument exactly?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-jones ... _8398.html

http://www.civilrights.org/publications ... ncing.html

https://lib.law.washington.edu/content/guides/racecrim

None of those links addresses murder.

It's plausible that whites might actually commit assaults at the same rate as blacks, but have a much lower rate of being charged and convicted. It's not plausible that the same is true for murder. You'd have to argue that the police and prosecutors just decide to let off the vast majority of white murderers just because they think murder is okay for whites, and there just aren't enough murders for that to be true.

Rather than try to deny the reality that crime rates are higher for blacks, it would be better to try to identify what's driving those higher rates.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby solipsist » Mar 25, 2016 2:08 am

lobawad wrote:I wonder if anyone is so amazingly stupid as to take this kind of thing seriously.

I did check the Wikipedia article on Lombroso and it states that he was Jewish. As a result this criticism is antisemitic. As such it must be and is hereby dismissed.
solipsist
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#51  Postby jamest » Mar 25, 2016 11:56 am

solipsist wrote:
lobawad wrote:I wonder if anyone is so amazingly stupid as to take this kind of thing seriously.

I did check the Wikipedia article on Lombroso and it states that he was Jewish. As a result this criticism is antisemitic. As such it must be and is hereby dismissed.

Don't talk bollocks. Next thing you'll be telling us is that criticism of Obama's policies is racism. :nono:
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#52  Postby solipsist » Mar 27, 2016 7:30 pm

jamest wrote:
solipsist wrote:

Don't talk bollocks. Next thing you'll be telling us is that criticism of Obama's policies is racism. :nono:

Next time I'll be telling you? The racist background of the criticism of Obama had been already exposed by millions of skeptics worldwide. Including in major news media. You must have seen many examples.

It was the antisemitic underpinning of the criticism of Lombroso's theory which still remained unchallenged.
solipsist
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#53  Postby jerome » Mar 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I was going to say that this is guff, then I got 100% right on the first try! :o

But I still think it's guff! :D

That was my feeling as well. I wondered if the test just said you were right, as I got 90% on my first go

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Anthropology