Back to the Moon in Five Years?

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Back to the Moon in Five Years?

#101  Postby tuco » May 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Just found this: Humans to Mars 2019 - https://livestream.com/viewnow/HumanstoMars2019

they have others stuff too: 50th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference - https://livestream.com/viewnow/lpsc2019
tuco

Print view this post

#102  Postby tuco » Mar 07, 2022 8:37 pm

Send Your Name Around the Moon with NASA! - https://www.nasa.gov/send-your-name-with-artemis/
tuco

Print view this post

#103  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 07, 2022 8:49 pm

tuco wrote:Send Your Name Around the Moon with NASA! - https://www.nasa.gov/send-your-name-with-artemis/

Such an odd idea - I'm puzzled about what would motivate people to perceive such a service as desirable.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby Matt_B » Mar 07, 2022 9:41 pm

It's just a bit of public outreach, that's all.

Relatively few people are interested in space missions for the actual science, but give people a chance to put their name on board and you can reach a whole new audience. This has been going on since, I think, New Horizons.

It comes pretty much for free too. Space probes always have a significant margin just in case something vital dramatically increases in mass between the engineering mock up and the real thing. This is typically going to be filled out with lead weights as ballast, but you can easily stick something like a flash drive in there. That's also how things like the Pioneer Plaque and the Voyager Golden Records were able to be worked in during previous eras.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#105  Postby tuco » Mar 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Matt_B wrote:It's just a bit of public outreach, that's all.

Relatively few people are interested in space missions for the actual science, but give people a chance to put their name on board and you can reach a whole new audience. This has been going on since, I think, New Horizons.

It comes pretty much for free too. Space probes always have a significant margin just in case something vital dramatically increases in mass between the engineering mock up and the real thing. This is typically going to be filled out with lead weights as ballast, but you can easily stick something like a flash drive in there. That's also how things like the Pioneer Plaque and the Voyager Golden Records were able to be worked in during previous eras.

It also comes with an option to sign up for a NASA newsletter and updates on the Artemis mission. So in my mind, it's a small step to popularize NASA and science. Same thing with NASA broadcasting on Twitch for example. It does not matter why people come to the channel, and it's usually over 10k when it goes live, what matters is that it gets more people involved. And since it's for free, it's a non-zerosum game where everyone wins.
tuco

Print view this post

#106  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 07, 2022 10:30 pm

Sorry, not for NASA - I meant for the potential customer.

I understand that there are plenty of people with vast sums of disposable wealth, but even as bragging rights, isn't it a bit lame?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 08, 2022 9:21 am

Hit the like and subscribe buttons, folks. And don't forget to check out the merch on my website!

It's the same simulation of "access" that thousands of online "influencers" dole out to their audiences to curry affection. When they're doing a good job, I tell them so in so many words, but I don't expect "access".
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Fenrir » Mar 08, 2022 9:48 am

Good luck with the go it alone spacing Vlad.

Remember it was you that left the effort.

I'd like to see some pre-emptive excluding where ITER is concerned. Results are still a very long way off but I suspect that your involvement would be an unnecessary distraction.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#109  Postby tuco » Mar 08, 2022 7:55 pm

Fenrir wrote:Good luck with the go it alone spacing Vlad.

Remember it was you that left the effort.

I'd like to see some pre-emptive excluding where ITER is concerned. Results are still a very long way off but I suspect that your involvement would be an unnecessary distraction.

I put the first sentence to Google because I do not understand it and first thing that came up was Waiting for Godot lol

Anyway, you've been drinking again? This thread is about Moon.
tuco

Print view this post

#110  Postby The_Piper » Mar 09, 2022 12:42 am

Your name on a flash drive that goes around the moon, what the hell for? :lol: At least it's free. The newsletter is a much better deal.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#111  Postby tuco » Mar 09, 2022 7:41 am

I mean, why not?

Maybe the spacecraft will get lost, drift into a wormhole and appear in the Delta quadrant (Star Trek: Voyager reference) or another galaxy where it will be found by some species who will wonder: Who the fuck are the guys on the flash drive? :)

Why people do anything? It's fun.
tuco

Print view this post

#112  Postby The_Piper » Mar 09, 2022 1:38 pm

I assume there's a device on board for aliens to read the flash drive then. Assuming they have eyes and hands. :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Matt_B » Mar 09, 2022 9:56 pm

The_Piper wrote:I assume there's a device on board for aliens to read the flash drive then. Assuming they have eyes and hands. :mrgreen:

There were pictorial instructions on the back of the Voyager Golden Records on how to play back the contents. I suspect that constructing something that'll read a flash drive might be beyond that level though.

That said, there are computers on board that'll probably be using off-the-shelf SoCs these days with USB support built in. I'm sure that any advanced alien life forms out there could figure out how to put the two together.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Imagine how disappointed they'll be when it's just a bunch of names of dead humans.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#115  Postby The_Piper » Mar 09, 2022 10:32 pm

:lol: :lol:

The Voyager has actual useful content. Not likely that it will ever be found, of course, but still cool.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#116  Postby tuco » Mar 09, 2022 10:58 pm

In Star Trek: Voyager there are several instances where Voyager finds, in the Delta quadrant 70 000 light-years from Earth, something. A truck from the 1950s, Amelia Earhart who was abducted by aliens, Klingon artifact, 21st century Mars spacecraft. Indeed, makes one wonder what the odds were :)

---
edit: not Voyager 6 my bad
tuco

Print view this post

#117  Postby The_Piper » Mar 10, 2022 3:32 am

tuco wrote:In Star Trek: Voyager there are several instances where Voyager finds, in the Delta quadrant 70 000 light-years from Earth, something. A truck from the 1950s, Amelia Earhart who was abducted by aliens, Klingon artifact, 21st century Mars spacecraft. Indeed, makes one wonder what the odds were :)

---
edit: not Voyager 6 my bad
That sounds pretty cool. I've hardly watched much Star Trek, just a little Next Generation back in the day.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#118  Postby tuco » Mar 15, 2022 3:43 pm

Those who signed up for the newsletter, see above posts, already got this in email but those who did not might be interested:

The launch of our uncrewed Artemis I Moon mission is fast approaching, and we’re inviting you to join us for the final test before liftoff.

Starting March 17, our teams will roll the 322-foot-tall Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft out of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida and onto the launch pad for the first time.

Join us for a live broadcast of the rollout starting at 5 p.m. EDT on March 17, which will include live remarks from NASA Administrator Bill Nelson and other guests. Coverage will air on NASA Television, the NASA app, and our official social media channels.
tuco

Print view this post

#119  Postby felltoearth » Mar 17, 2022 1:29 am

Spearthrower wrote:Imagine how disappointed they'll be when it's just a bunch of names of dead humans.

And no credit card numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#120  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2022 12:02 am

Three launch windows announced.

Exploration Ground Systems – Artemis
Final work continues to prepare the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for Artemis I. Teams have identified placeholder dates for potential launch opportunities. They include: 

Aug. 29 at 8:33 a.m. EDT (Two-hour launch window); Landing Oct. 10 
Sept. 2 at 12:48 p.m. (Two-hour launch window); Landing Oct. 11 
Sept. 5 at 5:12 p.m. (90-minute launch window); Landing Oct. 17 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Space Science