Back to the Moon in Five Years?

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Back to the Moon in Five Years?

#61  Postby laklak » Mar 29, 2019 7:17 pm

The earth isn't "dying", it's just fine. We might be extinction fodder, but Ma Nature don't give no fucks, ze works on a different time scale. Couple of hundred thousand years of 'modern' ground apes is a blink if an eye. In another couple of hundred thousand years (or a few hundred million) you won't even recognize the old homested.

The hubris is strong in humans.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#62  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 29, 2019 7:36 pm

laklak wrote:The earth isn't "dying", it's just fine. We might be extinction fodder, but Ma Nature don't give no fucks, ze works on a different time scale. Couple of hundred thousand years of 'modern' ground apes is a blink if an eye. In another couple of hundred thousand years (or a few hundred million) you won't even recognize the old homested.

The hubris is strong in humans.

There's plenty of room for Black Swans....fact remains we are as a species changing the planet at a astronomic rate in a very short space of time and critters at all scales are dying out as a result. Hubris perhaps, justified hubris for sure.
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby felltoearth » Mar 29, 2019 7:43 pm

A fucking asteroid hit the earth 65 Million Years ago causing incredible devastation. It resulted in the Earth you know now. I can’t really think of a worse black swan event that could occur than that. Except maybe an alien civilization sucking our atmosphere away or actually tossing asteroid after asteroid at us.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Or some Orange turd pressing a certain button.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 29, 2019 7:52 pm

felltoearth wrote:A fucking asteroid hit the earth 65 Million Years ago causing incredible devastation. It resulted in the Earth you know now. I can’t really think of a worse black swan event that could occur than that. Except maybe an alien civilization sucking our atmosphere away or actually tossing asteroid after asteroid at us.

Human activity isn't like a asteroid. It isn't unintelligently killing everything off for starters...small difference, like a game chess vs a earthquake...one leaves so many pieces standing, the other does everything good and proper. :?
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby newolder » Mar 29, 2019 8:04 pm

For the latest few laps of Sol, joy and misery appear intermittently on an underlying dynamical chaos. The fuck have humans got to do with deep time?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Matt_B » Mar 29, 2019 8:07 pm

You could set off every nuclear weapon ever built, evenly spaced across the surface of the planet, and it'd still do about a million times less damage than the Chicxulub impactor. I'm all for doing our best to preserve the environment but even humanity at its systematically most destructive hasn't got anything on nature at its worst.

Anyway, getting this thing vaguely back on topic, I'm wondering how familiar people actually are with NASA's plans for lunar exploration? There's a scheduled mission for a flyby next year, and then another one a couple of years later with a crew on board. After that, they're going to build a space station (LOP-G) at the L2 point on the far side of the Moon.

There are no current plans for landings, although Lockheed-Martin unveiled a concept for a lander last year. If they were to build it there's still be the issue of getting it to the Moon in five years, because there'd be no launcher big enough to take it there and LOP-G wouldn't have been built yet either. As such they'd have to send both it and an Orion spacecraft to transfer the crew to and from Earth orbit, and some in-orbit assembly would be required.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#68  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Apparently, not much familiar. Apparently, because such plans are indeed vague. Mr. Pence's response to that was .. when Kennedy ..

The vice president acknowledged the aggressiveness of the 2024 timeline but stressed that it is achievable, citing the successful Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969, just 12 years after the dawn of the space age.

Perhaps someone from the audience will shed more light, perhaps we will have to wait for them to be formed. First set goal, then find means to achieve it, is historically proven to work. Not always. According to NASA it's doable. That's what I gather from the articles. I have not found much else but speculations.
tuco

Print view this post

#69  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 29, 2019 10:35 pm

Matt_B wrote:even humanity at its systematically most destructive hasn't got anything on nature at its worst.

I love to call out verbiage like this, because it comes close to suggesting humans are not part of nature. Probably just a hangover from believing humans are situated just below the angels.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Matt_B » Mar 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Matt_B wrote:even humanity at its systematically most destructive hasn't got anything on nature at its worst.

I love to call out verbiage like this, because it comes close to suggesting humans are not part of nature. Probably just a hangover from believing humans are situated just below the angels.

Take that one up with the OED.

Nature

1. The phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nature
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#71  Postby laklak » Mar 30, 2019 4:03 am

How do we know God's plan wasn't a plastic filled ocean? Drink that alkalyzed water, God wants your empties! Maybe buy one of those special, individually wrapped, microwavable "baking" potatoes.

I really don't understand those potatoes. They're wrapped in plastic and cost like $3 each. For a fucking potato that you still have to cook. Do they buy it like that because it's just too hard to wrap a potato in plastic? Why would you wrap a potato in plastic to microwave it in the first place? Do they take the plastic wrap off it? Imagine a "baked" potato with plastic wrap melted all the fuck over it. Do these people not have ovens? Is the whole thing about not having to wash the potato? Honestly, I don't fucking get it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 30, 2019 5:26 am

Matt_B wrote:Take that one up with the OED.

Cool! But for dictionary definitions, humans would surely have more of a tendency to see themselves as part of nature, and we wouldn't be in nearly as deep a crisis of conscience as we are now. OED FTW! For your next trick, quote me some bible verses or the Stanford Encyclopedia of Filosofeezing. Mix and match! You should be on solid ground, because most people recognize only one of those sources as identifying those who rely on scriptural authority.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#73  Postby felltoearth » Mar 30, 2019 12:09 pm

laklak wrote:How do we know God's plan wasn't a plastic filled ocean? Drink that alkalyzed water, God wants your empties! Maybe buy one of those special, individually wrapped, microwavable "baking" potatoes.

I really don't understand those potatoes. They're wrapped in plastic and cost like $3 each. For a fucking potato that you still have to cook. Do they buy it like that because it's just too hard to wrap a potato in plastic? Why would you wrap a potato in plastic to microwave it in the first place? Do they take the plastic wrap off it? Imagine a "baked" potato with plastic wrap melted all the fuck over it. Do these people not have ovens? Is the whole thing about not having to wash the potato? Honestly, I don't fucking get it.

I can’t answer that because I’m just a naive philozzifer.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 30, 2019 1:46 pm

felltoearth wrote:
laklak wrote:How do we know God's plan wasn't a plastic filled ocean? Drink that alkalyzed water, God wants your empties! Maybe buy one of those special, individually wrapped, microwavable "baking" potatoes.

I can’t answer that because I’m just a naive philozzifer.

With potatoes, you could become a Kartoffelosofeezer. (I got that one from a YouTuber, you tuber.)

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#75  Postby felltoearth » Mar 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:YouTuber, you tuber.)

Is that a 21st century couch potato?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Matt_B » Mar 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Take that one up with the OED.

Cool! But for dictionary definitions, humans would surely have more of a tendency to see themselves as part of nature, and we wouldn't be in nearly as deep a crisis of conscience as we are now. OED FTW! For your next trick, quote me some bible verses or the Stanford Encyclopedia of Filosofeezing. Mix and match! You should be on solid ground, because most people recognize only one of those sources as identifying those who rely on scriptural authority.

I'll have to apologize because I thought you were trying to make a point before.

Don't worry though; I won't make that mistake again.
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#77  Postby felltoearth » Mar 31, 2019 2:37 am

Matt_B wrote:You could set off every nuclear weapon ever built, evenly spaced across the surface of the planet, and it'd still do about a million times less damage than the Chicxulub impactor. I'm all for doing our best to preserve the environment but even humanity at its systematically most destructive hasn't got anything on nature at its worst.

Just published.

The Day the Dinosaurs Died

A few years ago, scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory used what was then one of the world’s most powerful computers, the so-called Q Machine, to model the effects of the impact. The result was a slow-motion, second-by-second false-color video of the event. Within two minutes of slamming into Earth, the asteroid, which was at least six miles wide, had gouged a crater about eighteen miles deep and lofted twenty-five trillion metric tons of debris into the atmosphere. Picture the splash of a pebble falling into pond water, but on a planetary scale. When Earth’s crust rebounded, a peak higher than Mt. Everest briefly rose up. The energy released was more than that of a billion Hiroshima bombs, but the blast looked nothing like a nuclear explosion, with its signature mushroom cloud. Instead, the initial blowout formed a “rooster tail,” a gigantic jet of molten material, which exited the atmosphere, some of it fanning out over North America. Much of the material was several times hotter than the surface of the sun, and it set fire to everything within a thousand miles. In addition, an inverted cone of liquefied, superheated rock rose, spread outward as countless red-hot blobs of glass, called tektites, and blanketed the Western Hemisphere.

Some of the ejecta escaped Earth’s gravitational pull and went into irregular orbits around the sun. Over millions of years, bits of it found their way to other planets and moons in the solar system. Mars was eventually strewn with the debris—just as pieces of Mars, knocked aloft by ancient asteroid impacts, have been found on Earth. A 2013 study in the journal Astrobiology estimated that tens of thousands of pounds of impact rubble may have landed on Titan, a moon of Saturn, and on Europa and Callisto, which orbit Jupiter—three satellites that scientists believe may have promising habitats for life. Mathematical models indicate that at least some of this vagabond debris still harbored living microbes. The asteroid may have sown life throughout the solar system, even as it ravaged life on Earth.

The asteroid was vaporized on impact. Its substance, mingling with vaporized Earth rock, formed a fiery plume, which reached halfway to the moon before collapsing in a pillar of incandescent dust. Computer models suggest that the atmosphere within fifteen hundred miles of ground zero became red hot from the debris storm, triggering gigantic forest fires. As the Earth rotated, the airborne material converged at the opposite side of the planet, where it fell and set fire to the entire Indian subcontinent. Measurements of the layer of ash and soot that eventually coated the Earth indicate that fires consumed about seventy per cent of the world’s forests. Meanwhile, giant tsunamis resulting from the impact churned across the Gulf of Mexico, tearing up coastlines, sometimes peeling up hundreds of feet of rock, pushing debris inland and then sucking it back out into deep water, leaving jumbled deposits that oilmen sometimes encounter in the course of deep-sea drilling.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#78  Postby laklak » Mar 31, 2019 3:47 am

So I probably wouldn't ride that one out on my boat, eh?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Fenrir » Mar 31, 2019 5:10 am

laklak wrote:So I probably wouldn't ride that one out on my boat, eh?

Ur gonna need a bigger boat.

It's a win/win :cheers:
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#80  Postby tuco » Mar 31, 2019 5:30 am

So before we get extinct here, can we like land on the fucking Moon? Even if it was useless, which obviously is not, how is it different from I dunno fireworks or Olympic games? It's more expensive? Its bigger, innit.
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science