Back to the Moon in Five Years?

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Back to the Moon in Five Years?

#1  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Is this even possible? Any means necessary? Could that mean a rocket or something? :-?

https://gizmodo.com/vice-president-penc ... 1833581310
Shipment number entered does not exist.
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Back to the Moon in Five Years?

#2  Postby Svartalf » Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm

mmmh, does NASA even still have the Savoir Faire necessary to do it? can they get it back within that deadline? do they have sufficient financing to do it?

For years I wondered why French Nuclear power people went on struggling to get some new generation reactors up when they obviously can't do it properly and they accumulate delays and costs... and then I realized, older generation reactors were all built 30 to 40 years ago, and all the people who worked on that are dead or retired, so Areva (or whatever moniker they go by now) no longer can even go back to older version, they are trapped in their own stupidity, not having preserved knowledge for future generations... I am sad for the people who'll have to dismantle those old reactors without knowing all there is to know about them.
Last edited by Svartalf on Mar 27, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Mar 27, 2019 4:22 pm

There are links in the OP article with more details to answer some questions asked.

--

To me this is one of the greatest news in a long time if not the greatest. What I find let's interesting is this:

Pence cited a few reasons to go to the Moon—though the largest is essentially because Americans should be the best, and China has successfully launched its Chang’e series of missions including its lander to the Moon’s far side. He also cited findings of water trapped in the Moon’s permanently shaded polar craters. A human last walked on the Moon in 1972.

“Let me be clear the first woman and the next man on the moon will both be American astronauts launched by American rockets from American soil,” Pence said.

Pence chaired the fifth meeting of the National Space Council, a group reinstated in 2017 by Trump. The council unites the interests of groups working on commercial, scientific, and national security space operations from a policy perspective.

Some things have changed in the past 50 years but some have not.

The question stands as to what this will mean for the future of NASA, and what else will be de-funded in order to return humans to the Moon.

Military, bro.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 27, 2019 4:34 pm

A transfer of resources from grunts on the ground to Space Force - guns on the moon?
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Svartalf » Mar 27, 2019 4:38 pm

mmmh given the size of the military vote, that might spell badly for the current administrations come next elections

Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Svartalf wrote:mmmh given the size of the military vote, that might spell badly for the current administrations come next elections

Grunts? They'll be too busy building the wall to complain about reduced living standards. :think:
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Svartalf » Mar 27, 2019 4:58 pm

there's more than the grunts, there's the families, and the officer corps.

Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby aban57 » Mar 27, 2019 5:47 pm

So, another pissing contest is about to start, then.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Svartalf » Mar 27, 2019 5:51 pm

well, it's not as if it ever stopped, one of the contestants just had stopped caring until somebody else noticeably out pissed him

Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Mar 27, 2019 6:05 pm

Well, if landing on the Moon is pissing contest to you, I guess I can safely ignore anything you say on the subject. I mean, I could totally destroy this idiotic notion but .. its more efficient to ignore.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Mar 27, 2019 6:09 pm

NASA can't launch a bleeding booster, and they just delayed the first space launch system test again. They rely on 60's Soviet technology to get to the ISS. Maybe they need to bring Gemini out of mothballs. Meanwhile, Elon sent a Tesla to Mars and routinely soft lands boosters for reuse. The future of space exploration is private, governments can't organize a piss up in a fucking brewery. Anything NASA can do SpaceX can do faster, cheaper, and better. If you want to go to the moon give Elon prospecting rights, we'll be there next year.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Mar 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Could it not be a joint effort? Not only between NASA and Elon. I guess not yet. maybe another 50 years or 500.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby aban57 » Mar 27, 2019 6:43 pm

tuco wrote:Well, if landing on the Moon is pissing contest to you, I guess I can safely ignore anything you say on the subject. I mean, I could totally destroy this idiotic notion but .. its more efficient to ignore.

It was a pissing contest USA VS Russia the first time, it's Trump VS the rest of the world now. the fact that it is also an incredible scientific achievement is irrelevant, because without the pissing contest it wouldn't happen.
Do you really believe Trump is doing that for the good of humans, or science ? Come on.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 27, 2019 7:16 pm

aban57 wrote:
tuco wrote:Well, if landing on the Moon is pissing contest to you, I guess I can safely ignore anything you say on the subject. I mean, I could totally destroy this idiotic notion but .. its more efficient to ignore.

It was a pissing contest USA VS Russia the first time, it's Trump VS the rest of the world now. the fact that it is also an incredible scientific achievement is irrelevant, because without the pissing contest it wouldn't happen.
Do you really believe Trump is doing that for the good of humans, or science ? Come on.

Human ego necessary for human advancement? :think:
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Matt_B » Mar 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Let's face it. Kennedy wasn't exactly renowned for his modesty.

As regards SpaceX vs NASA, let's not forget that the latter's hardware has always been contracted out. It's just usually been to the likes of Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics. The only real difference with SpaceX is that they weren't a defence contractor, although they arguably are one now.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tuco » Mar 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Apparently, bickering is necessary for anything humans do.
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby aban57 » Mar 27, 2019 8:37 pm

tuco wrote:Apparently, bickering is necessary for anything humans do.

A huge lot of humans resort to victimization because they don't have any argument too.
I'm totally fine with the US sending men back to the moon (because of the tons of data we'll get from that), even though they just cut the Education budget by 12%, and are planning to strip the little social security they have. And this after they defunded and corrupted the EPA, and increased military funding.
But I'm worried about his motives, and you should too. In case you didn't notice, there's a current world race to arm space (see India's recent achievement), contrary to the international laws, and considering Trump's mentality, and the chances that he'll he there until 2024, maybe you should get out of your sunshine and rainbow bubble and look around.

And I thought I was naive...
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Mar 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Yeah some humans are assholes and some humans prefer to interpret landing on Moon as a pissing contest in a topic about a planned Moon landing in near future, "argument" not worth demolishing.

On topic, have we missed this?

Elon Musk’s Emotional Response to a Space Milestone - https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... sa/584011/

“Yeah, I just think, you know—humanity landing on the moon, man, that was maybe the greatest thing ever,” he continued, choking up. “So I can’t believe we’re launching from that pad.”

*----
edit: I am going to watch The Martian, fuck this shit.
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby i have no avatar » Mar 28, 2019 4:58 am

In my opinion, not enough time. drumpF/Dence are just posturing, like not-quite-mature males wanting to mate with a mature female (pick a suitable species).

Although we know a lot about spaceflight and living in space for extended periods of time these days, as has been pointed out up-thread, there is a lot of knowledge that has, for the most part, been lost. It seems to me that sending people to the Moon and returning them safely to the Earth is a lot different than sending people to the ISS, and also different than SpaceX putting a Roadster and Starman into the orbit of Mars about the Sun (roughly).

There is also, of course, the old adage of "good, fast, cheap - pick two as valid, and the remaining one will be invalid". Pertinent examples are (I think):

If it is fast and cheap, it won't be good.
    If it is fast and good, it won't be cheap.

Which brings up the question of where drumpF/Dence are going to get the funding. If the above adage holds, fast and cheap is not a good combination. An example of this that comes to mind is NASA's infamous "Faster, Better, Cheaper" mantra which resulted in, among other mishaps, spacecraft crashing on Mars because one entity used Imperial units and another entity used metric units. (And if it wasn't this, it would be something else - it costs money to check and double-check everything that can go wrong.)

drumpF couldn't get proper funding for his stupid fucking wall, so where is this (much larger) funding going to come from in the face of being such an abrasive administration?
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby aban57 » Mar 28, 2019 9:03 am

tuco wrote:Yeah some humans are assholes and some humans prefer to interpret landing on Moon as a pissing contest in a topic about a planned Moon landing in near future

So, discussion on the reasons behind the future moon landing is off topic on the topic about the hypothetical future moon landing ? :lol: :lol:

tuco wrote:
"argument" not worth demolishing.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that :roll:
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Astronomy & Space Science