Betelgeuse is fainting.

Probably nothing serious but who knows?

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Betelgeuse is fainting.

#81  Postby newolder » Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

According to spaceweather... BETELGEUSE IS BRIGHTENING AGAIN

According to the data, Betelegeuse reached its minimum brightness between Feb. 12th and 14th, and now it is slowly brightening again.

This development was actually predicted. Ed Guinan and Richard Wasatonic of Villanova University recently suggested that Betelgeuse might "bounce back" within a week of Feb. 21st.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby tuco » Feb 21, 2020 10:44 am

So this is bad news for supernova watchers.
tuco

Print view this post

#83  Postby newolder » Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am

It's still on a path to going pop! but not just yet, it seems. Also, these (again) are early reports and waiting for future confirmation is the way of the "method".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#84  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 21, 2020 12:24 pm

The star needs to hold off until the Webb is up and running. Between the Hubble, the Webb and ground based observatories we could really suck some data out of a supernova.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Hermit » Feb 21, 2020 1:39 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:The star needs to hold off until the Webb is up and running. Between the Hubble, the Webb and ground based observatories we could really suck some data out of a supernova.

I would expect that Betelgeuse to keep flickering and guttering like a candle well past my lifetime and the lifetime of several following generations before it expires in a spectacular blaze. Knowing precious little about astronomy, this is just a guess
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#86  Postby Macdoc » Feb 23, 2020 2:58 pm

as good as any ...:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Ironclad » Feb 23, 2020 9:55 pm

I wish it would just get on with it, then we could witness the religious string even more arse together. Sorry, I mean.. witness a wondrous event.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby newolder » Feb 23, 2020 10:20 pm

From the latest Astronomer's Telegram
The Fall and Rise in Brightness of Betelgeuse

As mentioned above, the star subsequently dimmed to ~1.6 mag during mid-February 2020. Observations of all kinds continue to be needed to understand the nature of this unprecedented dimming episode and what this surprising star will do next.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#89  Postby aufbahrung » Feb 24, 2020 7:05 am

https://www.sciencealert.com/betelgeuse ... ed-dimming

Looked OK to me walking back from the off-licence. But like with coronovirus you can't tell when the end is coming or if it is ahere already.
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby aufbahrung » Feb 24, 2020 11:13 am

Had a feeling like a star just exploded. As I'm interested in the weird am going to see if that rumble passing through me was merely wind from beans'n'toast or some real jedi ability coming through. I reckon five hours or maybe ten at most and the sky should brighten a bit.

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-plane ... 180974252/
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Oxyaena » Feb 25, 2020 10:46 pm

newolder wrote:Betelgeuse is now the faintest it has been in the last 25 years of observation. The behaviour is described in ATEL #13337 (Astronomer's tele message).

The Fainting of the Nearby Red Supergiant Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse and Antares are the two nearest red supergiant core-collapse Type-II supernova (SN II) progenitors. Photometry from this season shows the star has been declining in brightness since October 2019, now reaching a modern all-time low of V = +1.12 mag on 07 December 2019 UT. Betelgeuse undergoes complicated quasi-periodic brightness variations with a dominant period of ~420 +/-15 days. But also Betelgeuse has longer-term (5 - 6 years) and shorter term (100 - 180 days) smaller brightness changes. Currently this is the faintest the star has been during our 25+ years of continuous monitoring and 50 years of photoelectric V-band observations.

... more @ link

Last thing I heard was that Betelgeuse's been flaring up in brightness again, ie the dimming's not as extreme as it was, it's going back up in luminosity again. I`m relying on memory of course, so I may be wrong about this. Feel free to correct me if I am.
Oxyaena

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#92  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 25, 2020 10:52 pm

That’s the story on Cloudy Nights. I sure can’t say. We have had one clear night in two weeks, and it got down to 14° F so I didn’t bother to look.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby newolder » Feb 25, 2020 11:07 pm

Oxyaena wrote:...

Last thing I heard was that Betelgeuse's been flaring up in brightness again, ie the dimming's not as extreme as it was, it's going back up in luminosity again. I`m relying on memory of course, so I may be wrong about this. Feel free to correct me if I am.

See post #88 above for the latest developments and probable re-brightening, as scheduled by the dominant 420 day cycle in the star's luminosity. :thumbup:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#94  Postby felltoearth » Feb 27, 2020 4:40 pm

newolder wrote:It's still on a path to going pop!

Someone should just give it a squeeze and relieve the tension.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#95  Postby newolder » Jun 30, 2020 9:36 am

The dimming appears to have been a "surface" event (like a large sunspot) and not caused by dust after all...
BBC story
Betelgeuse: Nearby 'supernova' star's dimming explained
By Paul Rincon
Science editor, BBC News website
29 June 2020

Astronomers say big cool patches on a "supergiant" star close to Earth were behind its surprise dimming last year.
Red giant stars like Betelgeuse frequently undergo changes in brightness, but the drop to 40% of its normal value between October 2019 and April 2020 surprised astronomers.

Researchers now say this was caused by gigantic cool areas similar to the sunspots seen on our own parent star.

There had been speculation that Betelgeuse was about to go supernova.

But the star instead began to recover and by May 2020 it was back at its original brightness.

... more @ link above
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby laklak » Jun 30, 2020 6:49 pm

I'm not saying Kardashev.jpg
I'm not saying Kardashev.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 437 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Ironclad » Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm

So no nova today.. booo
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#98  Postby newolder » Jul 29, 2020 7:42 am

Even though Betelgeuse has been hidden from Earthly view this summer, the STEREO A telescope 69 degrees behind (?) on its orbit has managed to gather V-band magnitudes that have got dimmer again.

The Astronomer's Telegram #13901 has the story...

V magnitudes are reported for 3 STEREO-A rolls: 2020 June 24.12 UT, V= 0.66 +/-0.015; 2020 July 13.87 UT, V=0.76 +/-0.015; 2020 July 20.54 UT, V=0.80+/-0.015. Here the V-magnitudes are means and errors are the standard deviation of the individual measurements that include transformation uncertainties. Surprisingly, instead of continuing to increase or level off in brightness, Betelgeuse has decreased by ~0.5 mag from mid-May to mid-July. Spanning the STEREO observations, the star dimmed at a rate of 5 mmag/day. The decrease in brightness over 26 days between our first and third observation is comparable to the photometric behavior in late October 2018, and slower than the faster decline, between October 22 and November 10 2019, that marked the beginning of the historic Great Fainting event in February 2020. The next 'minimum' according to the 420-430 d periodicity is predicted to occur in early April 2021. If this current decline continues, another dimming event may occur much earlier. However, Betelgeuse has (not-well understood) complex light variations and it is difficult to make predictions. It will be important to continue to follow Betelgeuse closely through 2020/21.

newolder

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Space Science