Cassini's 10th anniversary and 10 best pics

Phil Plait

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Cassini's 10th anniversary and 10 best pics

#1  Postby kennyc » Jun 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Ten Years at Saturn: Cassini’s 10 Greatest Pictures
By Phil Plait

On July 1, 2004 at 12:12 a.m. ET—10 years ago—the main engine on board the Cassini space probe cut off. When the burn was over, Cassini had achieved a milestone in human history: It became the first spacecraft to enter Saturn orbit.

I remember staying up late that night, hunched over my computer, listening to the NASA and JPL feed, waiting almost literally on the edge of my seat for the news that the Saturn Orbital Insertion was complete. I remember my daughter, then just 8 years old, asking me what was going on, and I showed her some pictures of the spacecraft and what Saturn looked like as it approached.

That was a decade ago. My daughter enters college this fall, and a billion kilometers away Cassini still orbits the giant ringed planet, still points its cameras where we tell it, and still returns devastatingly gorgeous pictures to astronomers back on Earth. To celebrate this milestone I picked my ten favorite images from Cassini, one for each year our robotic proxy has examined Saturn. They will surely show you why Cassini has had such a profound impact on the public, because each is so amazing and so beautiful it would make any terrestrial artist jealous.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... aturn.html
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Cassini's 10th anniversary and 10 best pics

#2  Postby Macdoc » Jun 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Cassini mission blows me away almost more than the Hubble. thanks for link. Used one of the Saturn photos as my desktop for a while.....something to do with tangible but still remote whereas Hubble is always remote.

Saturn is still "home turf" but at the same time very alien.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DougC » Jun 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for posting this. :clap:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby smudge » Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm

:cheers: Breathtaking images.

Hyperion is clearly made of coral...
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Jan 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Ring detail - unprecedented write-up.
These close views represent the opening of an entirely new window onto Saturn’s rings, and over the next few months we look forward to even more exciting data as we train our cameras on other parts of the rings closer to the planet.
- Matthew Tiscareno, Cassini Scientist

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby newolder » Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Grand Finale.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby newolder » Apr 12, 2017 8:25 am

Commanding Cassini: Sending the Code to Begin the Grand Finale
April 11, 2017
Throughout Cassini's nearly 20-year mission, the flight team on Earth has transmitted between four and 10 weeks of commands to the spacecraft at a time. This transmission on April 11, 2017, was special. The team sent one of the final command sequences, navigating Cassini toward and eventually through the gap between Saturn's innermost ring and the planet itself. These orbits are known as Cassini's Grand Finale, the series of 22 dives through the gap, dipping into Saturn's atmosphere and occasionally through the D ring.
...continues...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby romansh » Apr 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Carolyn Porco's presentation on Cassini begins at 5:45
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#9  Postby Rumraket » May 02, 2017 9:26 am

It's going in for another dive between the rings and the planet today. The images are astonishing.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-spacecraft-dives-between-saturn-and-its-rings
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » May 04, 2017 4:14 pm

First dive through inner gap.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm

They're live now if anyone's interested.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science