Comet Neowise

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Comet Neowise

#21  Postby thirsting » Jul 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Stayed up until 2am with spouse, trying to see it, but no luck. We're bit too far north, didn't get dark enough to see anything but Venus and couple of the brightest stars.
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Macdoc » Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm

more likely Jupiter that time of night as it was brilliant
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Macdoc » Jul 24, 2020 2:47 am

well poor conditions and very brief window

We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 24, 2020 3:09 am

Confirmed sighting for the first time tonight. Seeing about 7 out 10 (10=perfect) but I saw the little cutie! IPhone picts sucking. Just not dark enough. I did manage a meteor and Neowise photo, which is cool, but the darned thing is just too low in the sky. Well, too low for our soupy air. Cheapo fleaBay $20 phone scope made the thing jump out, and if we have clear skies over the next few nights I’m going to try with that little scope and my C-90 Mak, although the Mak’s FOV is pretty tight. With a little magnification the tail just shines!

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 24, 2020 3:18 am

1B34D399-A1F0-464A-B73D-EB59123835F8.jpeg
Neowise and Meteor train
1B34D399-A1F0-464A-B73D-EB59123835F8.jpeg (207.64 KiB) Viewed 415 times

Here’s the best photo of tonight efforts. Yes, I know it sucks. When my iPhone 6 plus died AT&T replaced it with a 6s plus, and the higher mega pixel camera doesn’t do nearly as well as the older phone with low light. About time to start looking at a real camera!

Neowise is directly below the bright star center right, and I saw the meteor fall even if the camera made it look like a plane.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 24, 2020 12:58 pm

B749EA4B-8B8C-497B-8F16-3F8AFB801E53.jpeg
FleaBay Phone Scope
B749EA4B-8B8C-497B-8F16-3F8AFB801E53.jpeg (301.41 KiB) Viewed 404 times

As soon as my first cuppa was addressed I set up my little fleabay phone scope, which claims to be 18X magnification. What that power actually is remains a mystery to me, and I have no idea what focal length it might be. It has a little chromatic aberration, but only shows up on bright targets like the moon. While I was attempting to capture Neowise last night I viewed it through this little cheap (<$20) scope and it looked stunning. Now if my low light phone app (NighCap Camera) can return a decent photo is the question, and whether clouds will roll in and spoil all the fun. I’m all set up and ready. My tracker (red brick-like thing in photo) is all charged up. Useless photos dumped for the phone’s memory space. Headphone shutter release tested and ready. Yes, getting a good long look at Neowise has me pumped up. Makes me wish I was back in eastern Oregon under that dry desert air! Just not bad enough to want to go back! :smile:

RS

ETA: The black thingie hanging off the back end of the little scope is the phone cradle/adapter that aligns the rear phone camera with the “eyepiece”. That is locked down with a wrench and I have white duct tape tags on my phone case to reposition it a matter of just sliding it in place and turning the thumbscrew.
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Macdoc » Jul 25, 2020 2:31 am

decent conditions ....no show :(
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 25, 2020 3:34 am

Absolute shit conditions. Puffy low clouds and a sky turning to mush from the fucking moon. Compared to last night this was a total fail. The window is closing fast. I did get a couple glimpses between clouds, but those only lasted a second or so. The bugs were out in force. While none of them were looking for a meal a beetle the size of a cat landed on the back of my neck. Good times!

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Macdoc » Jul 25, 2020 6:14 am

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby newolder » Jul 25, 2020 1:20 pm

A parting shot from @astrofalls with spectacular views of both tails and some green leading the coma...

large, click-zoomable image link
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Macdoc » Jul 25, 2020 2:59 pm

damn
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#32  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 26, 2020 2:31 pm

3460D5BB-E3FC-4805-8058-3C3493B752EC.jpeg
Neowise July 25, 2020
3460D5BB-E3FC-4805-8058-3C3493B752EC.jpeg (279.69 KiB) Viewed 359 times

After Macdoc posted the world class photo above I am almost ashamed to post this.

Using my setup shown earlier I managed this shot last night. The moon is seriously fucking with our thick ass atmosphere now, and will only be worse over the next week or more. This and the comet is starting to dim as it speeds away from the inner solar system.

I got on the phone with AT&T yesterday and am having an “new” iPhone 6 plus sent, and they were surprisingly understanding. This doesn’t eliminate my need for a DSLR, but will let me get through the next couple months without pulling out my hair.

I’m going to set up my little C-90 Mak tonight, if the clouds don’t spoil the fun. Maybe with my lowest power eyepiece I can fit most of the comet and its tail into the frame, but I’ll still be fighting the iPhone 6s’s built in limits. Too bad I’m so slow of wit that I didn’t figure out the issue before the comet popped out on this side of the sun!

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Macdoc » Jul 26, 2020 4:05 pm

you did better than we did the other night...decently clear sky but like you atmosphere you could cut with a knife ....could not locate the comet and I certainly have the lens to get a decent shot

got foxed by this one when it first appeared as was way up and to naked eye had potential .... - we were arguing as it appeared out of the cloud fairly low but it resolved soon enough to a plane.

pretty fine sunset tho - thick soup and 30 degrees today :(

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby The_Piper » Jul 26, 2020 4:07 pm

No view from my area, mountains block the northern horizon. I'd have to take a ride over the hills and far away. I enjoy looking at other people's pics.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 26, 2020 7:35 pm

If I don’t get a decent pict in the next couple nights my window will close. The weather is expected to shift in a major, and unusual, way. The jet stream is supposed to bend down directly over Arkansas and our rain chances don’t go under 40% for 14 days past Monday. I’ve never seen such a major summertime weather shift in my entire life. Like I said, I’m hoping to get at least one fair shot of Neowise, and that may have to be tonight. Heat induced thunderstorms are scattered about the region right now, so I’m going to have to get lucky to get one more crack at the comet either way. Yes, this jet stream move will keep us from being miserable hot for a few days, but damn I want to capture this long period cutie in a major way.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 27, 2020 3:44 am

7B35228F-5B25-448F-9A41-13C527D051C8.jpeg
Comet Killer
7B35228F-5B25-448F-9A41-13C527D051C8.jpeg (129.11 KiB) Viewed 338 times

This. This put and end to Neowise pict attempts. Our air was so laden with water tonight that this bright ass hunk of rock washed out the entire sky. I’d say our seeing was down around a 4 out of 10, if that. With my little Mak scope and 32mm eyepiece I could only pick out the nucleus, and not well then. All my photos just look like an out of focus star with a tinge of green. Sigh. Looks like I’ll have to settle for what I got.

Some time tomorrow I am ordering my goto EQ mount. Between fucking with a ball head, trying to keep the phone adapter locked down and trying to find a faint fuzzy all at the same time I told myself enough is enough. I’ve been fighting low tech equipment for years, and I’ve made up my mind. This low budget shit is driving me nuts, and it ends now!

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Macdoc » Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#38  Postby felltoearth » Jul 31, 2020 3:57 pm

Wow!

What a night! With the potential for some aurora action & Neowise fading day by day, I decided to head up here last night ... the comet, bioluminescence, the Milky Way and even a bit of aurora - just wow ❤️ #Tofino #BC @TamithaSkov @HelloBC @tourism_tofino @StormHour

https://twitter.com/davidlmccolm/status/1287119991116972032?s=12

C351873A-1D40-4BE7-AC89-6BBB72EB76B6.jpeg
C351873A-1D40-4BE7-AC89-6BBB72EB76B6.jpeg (144.65 KiB) Viewed 307 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Space Science