Dark Energy Might Not Exist

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Dark Energy Might Not Exist

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Enigmatic dark energy, thought to make up 68% of the universe, may not exist at all, according to a Hungarian-American team. The researchers believe that standard models of the universe fail to take account of its changing structure, but that once this is done the need for dark energy disappears.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 115254.htm
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dark Energy Might Not Exist

#2  Postby Alan B » Apr 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Oh, yes he does! :snooty: :whistle:

Sorry! Couldn't resist that.

Fascinating article. Now, if true, where does that leave Dark Matter?
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 03, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Dark energy » Apr 03, 2017 12:16 am

kkk.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Sep 06, 2018 12:25 pm

More on the same topic from Oxford, UK, researchers...
Horizon, the EU Research & Innovation Magazine
and associated arxiv post from August 14th.
Recent observations reveal a bulk flow in the local Universe which is faster and extends to larger scales than is expected around a typical observer in the standard ΛCDM cosmology. The deceleration parameter q0 derived from local observations is then expected to show a scale-dependent dipolar modulation. From a maximum likelihood analysis of the Joint Lightcurve Analysis (JLA) catalogue of Type Ia supernovae we do find such a dipole in q0 extending out to z∼0.2, with a magnitude comparable to its monopole. Although not statistically significant in current data, such a dipole must be allowed for, especially in analysing surveys with incomplete sky coverage such as JLA and its successor Pantheon; out of 740 (1048) SNe IA in the JLA (Pantheon) catalogue, 632 (890) are in the hemisphere opposite to the direction of bulk flow for which their redshifts have been corrected. However when we do so, the monopole component of q0, which has been widely ascribed to a cosmological constant (dark energy), drops in statistical significance and becomes consistent with zero at 2σ (95\% c.l.). This suggests that the apparent acceleration of the expansion rate deduced from supernovae may be an artefact of our bulk flow.

Basically, the suggestion is that our local (within 600 million light years, or so) flow wrt the rest of the universe accounts for much of the hitherto observed acceleration.

Also, there are reports today of a new supernovae study to be published tomorrow that highlight further the tension in measurements of the Hubble constant, H0, made by the Planck consortium published earlier this year.

Intrigue every which way we look...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Does that mean there is more mass in our local area?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Sep 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Yeah, but she's over in Swaziland at the moment.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Sep 07, 2018 1:45 am

Ouch!
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby newolder » Sep 07, 2018 8:39 am

This study does not make a claim that there is less mass hereabouts, regardless of any population drift, but that the requirement for dark energy (whatever that may be) is reduced to the point of statistical insignificance. Co-author Prof Sarker, a particle physicist, notes in the interview:
For astronomers, a three-sigma result may be interesting, but for a particle physicist like me it’s not worth getting out of bed for.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Sep 07, 2018 8:53 am

Mass in my local area has been cancelled. Father O'Flaherty was caught in a compromising position with an altar boy and cannot officiate from the very distant parish he has suddenly been assigned to.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Sep 07, 2018 9:27 am

Perhaps the penalty for such altar-cation is to be shrunk to small size? :dunno:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby truelgbt » Sep 27, 2018 12:48 am

Goes to show how 'facts' can change so rapidly. Not surprised at all.

Next.....
truelgbt

Name: trev

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Sep 27, 2018 1:52 am

Yeah, science is funny that way.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby newolder » Oct 14, 2019 7:59 am

Upon reinvestigation of the Leavitt law of Cepheid variable star period versus luminosity/distance for Milky Way Cepheids (and companion stars) from Gaia data release 2, a study in Astronomy & Astrophysics on October 11th finds that the Hubble constant tension between the "distance ladder" methods and those employed on cosmic microwave background measurements has disappeared.

The Leavitt law of Milky Way Cepheids from Gaia DR2 static companion parallaxes

... the Hubble constant results in a value of 69 ± 2 km s−1 Mpc−1, statistically compatible with the Planck Collaboration et al. (2018) estimate.

Quoted earlier in the work as:

The value H = 67.4 ± 0.5 km s−1 Mpc−1 derived from the Planck CMB data by Planck Collaboration et al. (2018), assuming a ΛCDM cosmology.

Sighs of relief heard even across the Twittersphere.

Just to add for topic relevance: The ΛCDM cosmology model used in the CMBR analysis yields 69% of the universe to be comprised of dark energy, Λ, 26% to be CDM (cold dark matter) and 5% "ordinary" stuff - see, e.g. Jim Peebles.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science