Geminids peaking Dec 14th to 16th

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Geminids peaking Dec 14th to 16th

#1  Postby Macdoc » Dec 13, 2018 6:57 am

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/12/10/18134350/geminid-meteor-shower-2018-how-to-watch-time-date

I might be blanked this year but I've seen some fantastic displays.

I have an isolated glider port I use for viewing ....the darker the better - multiples at a time ...we were certainly over 60 an hour the best year.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Geminids peaking Dec 14th to 16th

#2  Postby theropod » Dec 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Having just returned home from a short sabbatical in the hospital, with strict instructions not to lift anything over 10 pounds, the best I could hope for would be viewing. The trouble is my main interest in astronomy, and more precisely astrophotography, is photographing meteors. My tripod and iOptron tracker weigh a little more than that, and photos taking without the tracking absolutely suck. I can’t stand star trails, and any photo taken with an exposure of over 30 seconds induces this effect.

Then there is the terminally thick layer of clouds which is supposed to remain extant for the foreseeable future.

Oh well. At least I’m still alive to hope for the next such event to be favorable to my hobby. Everyone else should treat themselves to witnessing a meteor shower at least once in their lifetimes. There’s nothing like it.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 14, 2018 10:28 am

With the light pollution here forget it. You can see Venus once in a while and Mars occasionally but for the rest...
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Piper » Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm

The skies are great here when the conditions are right. Not tonight, with snow, sleet, etc. in the forecast.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Almost every road is lit here only in the north and east are some minor roads not lit. Philips of course have done a lot of research into street lighting but still it is too much to see anything.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod » Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm

I think I am going to move to the Atacama.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 14, 2018 2:10 pm

I stayed up til gone midnight hoping to catch sight of it, and sure enough I did see one shooter. I also haven't gazed up at the stars on a cloudless night for as long as I can remember - lush.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Macdoc » Dec 13, 2019 4:14 am

It's that time of year again and we might just have a clear sky tonight in S Ontario. Might take a staff up to the flying field.

Partner in Australia always gets up early so moon is down at 4 am there. Peak is tomorrow but it's clearer tonight and apparently the stream is rich in fireballs....I can attest to that in other years.

The Moon is full," reports Taichi Nakamura, who photographed the luminous orb rising above Miyazaki, Japan, on Dec. 12th.

Lunar glare is nearly overwhelming the Geminids, making it impossible to see a majority of the shower's faint meteors. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on Dec. 13-14. In a moonless year, sky watchers could expect to see dozens of meteors per hour flying from the constellation Gemini high in the midnight sky. This year, rates will be reduced 5-fold or more.

Now for the good news: The shower is relatively rich in fireballs. Debris from 3200 Phaethon is dense and gravelly, less fragile than the comet dust of typical meteor showers. This gives the Geminids a boost in luminosity, allowing the brightest to be seen even under full Moon conditions.

If you would like to try to catch a Geminid fireball, go outside around midnight on Dec. 13-14 and watch the sky for an hour or so. Worst-case sceneario: You'll get a great view of the Moon.

https://www.spaceweather.com
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aban57 » Dec 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I haven't seen the sky in the last 4 days. I don't even know if it's still there. Maybe someone should check it out, just in case.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Dec 13, 2019 6:45 pm

There is a very cool sci-fi around the stars disappearing. It was almost okay last night but not worth driving an hours each way. Need a crystal clear night with that big moon sitting on things.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science