Mercury set to flit across the Sun

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Mercury set to flit across the Sun

#1  Postby DougC » May 09, 2016 2:04 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36228327

B.B.C. Article
Skywatchers across the globe will see Mercury transit the Sun on Monday.
The Solar System's smallest planet will pass directly between Earth and our star from around 11:12 GMT to 18:42.
Such a transit only rolls around 13 or 14 times each century; the next occasions will be in 2019 and 2032.
The event is impossible - and dangerous - to view with the naked eye or binoculars, but astronomy groups worldwide will offer a chance to view it through filtered telescopes.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mercury set to flit across the Sun

#2  Postby crank » May 09, 2016 3:17 am

Tiitle makes it sound Mercury is bit swishy.

Never mind
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DougC » May 11, 2016 12:35 am

B.B.C. - Rare images of Mercury's journey across the Sun
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby crank » May 11, 2016 6:42 am

It's kinda surprising this only happens about every 7 years when you think about how far away we are and how big the sun is, plus mercury 's year is about 3 months. If someone asked me how often this would occur, I would have guessed way higher, maybe more than once a year. So my thinking has mercury too close [to the sun] with less difference in inclination.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Weaver » May 11, 2016 8:12 pm

My FB post of my photo:

Blow up the image - there are two "dots" visible - the one furthest from the orange thingie, at about the 10-11 o'clock position, maybe 1/3 of the way from the rim to the center, is Mercury in transit in front of the Sun.

And with attention drawn to the correct "dot":

Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Weaver » May 11, 2016 8:42 pm

crank wrote:It's kinda surprising this only happens about every 7 years when you think about how far away we are and how big the sun is, plus mercury 's year is about 3 months. If someone asked me how often this would occur, I would have guessed way higher, maybe more than once a year. So my thinking has mercury too close [to the sun] with less difference in inclination.

It's the orbital inclination that makes this a relatively rare event. If there were no difference in inclinations, it would happen about 4 times per year.

Much less rare, though, than Venus, which sees a pair of transits 8 years apart then a gap of either ~ 105 or 121 years before the next pair.

I'm pretty happy having seen this one - since I moved back home after retiring from the Army, I've seen two astronomical transits of the Sun from my home town, and looking forward to seeing another in 2024, when I'll only have to travel a short distance (like about 15 miles) to be on the main track of a total solar eclipse.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science