More gravitational waves detected

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

More gravitational waves detected

#1  Postby DougC » Jun 16, 2016 12:19 am

Previously on RS,
LIGO press conference by klazmon
Lisa Pathfinder: 'Exquisite' gravity probe leaves UK by DougC
Gravitational wave mission passes 'sanity check' by DougC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36540254

B.B.C. Article
Scientists have collected a second burst of gravitational waves sweeping through the Earth.
The warping of space-time was sensed on Christmas Day in the US at the Advanced LIGO laboratories - the same facilities that made the historic first detection in September last year.
Back then, the waves came from two huge coalescing black holes.
This new set of waves, likewise, is ascribed to a black hole merger - but a smaller one.
Reporting the event in the journal Physical Review Letters, the international collaboration that operates LIGO says the two objects involved had masses that were 14 and eight times that of our Sun.
The data indicates the union produced a single black hole of 21 solar masses, meaning they radiated pure energy to space equivalent to the mass of one star of Sun size.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: More gravitational waves detected

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jun 16, 2016 6:15 am

Nice to see this is continuing to be detected. And that this detection is allowing us to work out what is causing it as well. Another notch on the science working belt.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby JoeB » Jun 16, 2016 8:51 am

It always amazes me that the entire universe is a moving, interacting thing at a human timescale as well, and doesn't just exist of some 'static sparkly thingies up there' as it often seems when looking at the stars.
[edit] I mean it's easy to rationalise, but to actually realise that fact is different somehow, more human I guess. :think:
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BlackBart » Jun 16, 2016 12:19 pm

So... we did the Time Warp... again.
:dance:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby crank » Jun 16, 2016 7:16 pm

JoeB wrote:It always amazes me that the entire universe is a moving, interacting thing at a human timescale as well, and doesn't just exist of some 'static sparkly thingies up there' as it often seems when looking at the stars.
[edit] I mean it's easy to rationalise, but to actually realise that fact is different somehow, more human I guess. :think:

I'm more amazed that the cell, the basic unit of life, is almost exactly in the middle of the scale going from plank-lengths to the size of the observable universe. Coincidence?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Veida » Jun 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Awesome.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Jun 17, 2016 3:26 am

Next step, mirrors in space.

Gravitational Wave Dildo by twistor59
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby crank » Jun 17, 2016 6:16 am

Just out today [actually that was true when I was watching it but it isn't true as I'm posting this, so that's utterly misleading and I don't give shit, sue me]. It's a good presentation, not at all overly simplistic.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby newolder » Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm

LIGO detection: documentary on the discovery...

Don't know what happened at the end there - event horizon crossing? :dunno:

From ligo.org
UPDATE ON LIGO'S SECOND OBSERVING RUN

28 January 2017 --

The second Advanced LIGO run began on November 30, 2016 and is currently in progress. As of January 23 approximately 12 days of Hanford-Livingston coincident science data have been collected, with a scheduled break between December 22, 2016 and January 4, 2017. Average reach of the LIGO network for binary merger events have been around 70 Mpc for 1.4+1.4 Msun, 300 Mpc for 10+10 Msun and 700 Mpc for 30+30 Msun mergers, with relative variations in time of the order of 10%.

So far, 2 event candidates, identified by online analysis using a loose false-alarm-rate threshold of one per month, have been identified and shared with astronomers who have signed memoranda of understanding with LIGO and Virgo for observational followup. A thorough investigation of the data and offline analysis are in progress; results will be shared when available.

- See more at: http://www.ligo.org/news/index.php#O2Jan2017update
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Feb 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Cannot edit previous post so here's the tube again (New Scientist update), hopefully full length this time...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Feb 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Update on sloppy editing .. sometimes cigar is just cigar ;)

btw the comparison to Galileo or rather a telescope, what can be potentially detected by this method?
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby newolder » Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Black hole mergers (check); Neutron star mergers; Neutron star Black hole mergers; anything else that's massive and asymmetric - some supernovae may have asymmetric collapse. Perhaps gravitational waves will be associated with (some/all) gamma ray bursts. Space-based interferometry (e-LISA) will look for GWs from very early time (before WMAP/Planck Cosmic microwaves). There's also the class of unknown unknowns. The Gravity spy chat rooms may also help.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Should be noted that different events will have different wavelengths, so not all will be detected by LIGO, but may be detected by other planned missions like LISA as mentioned by Newolder.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby newolder » Feb 08, 2017 10:00 pm

^ Good point. The spectrum of GW is broad and different instruments will 'hear' different sections. I do not know what the shock waves (if any) generated at early times in the post bang plasma state will require, for example.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby newolder » May 16, 2017 4:28 pm

From the latest LIGO data on whole-sky gravitational wave studies, the conclusion is that: All typical (14 kilometre diameter) neutron stars with a polar axis pointing earthwards and within 3200 light years, or so, have ‘broad footprint’ mountains less than 10 millimetres tall.

Phew!

LIGO source
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby newolder » Jun 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Third confirmed detection GW170104
The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) has made a third detection of gravitational waves, ripples in space and time, demonstrating that a new window in astronomy has been firmly opened. As was the case with the first two detections, the waves were generated when two black holes collided to form a larger black hole.

The newfound black hole has a final mass about 49 times that of our sun. This fills in a gap between the masses of the two merged black holes detected previously by LIGO, with solar masses of 62 (first detection) and 21 (second detection).

The recent detection appears to be the farthest yet, with the black holes located about 3 billion light-years away. (The black holes in the first and second detections are located 1.3 and 1.4 billion light-years away, respectively.)

more at link...

BBC article.

LIGO factsheet:

Link to associated PRL publication.

Simulation of merge:
Last edited by newolder on Jun 01, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Jun 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Question....we're picking up photons near the early universe time frame....will the detector let us " see" further back than photons - one would think there was a some rather energetic gravitational activity early on ...but perhaps not.

IE there is some point where the centre of the Milky Way black hole formed .... would LIGO be able to "see'/hear that kind of formation in early galaxies?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Jun 01, 2017 3:48 pm

I think (but could be wrong) that we'll have to wait for eLISA - the interferometer in space - before we have the sensitivity to detect primordial gravitational radiation (if any) from before the epoch of last scattering (WMAP, Planck &c).
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 02, 2017 1:10 am

I'm wondering if these 20+ solar mass black holes are the remnants of population III stars. I've heard that they aught to have formed in close groups as well as having had in some cases 1000+ solar masses.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby newolder » Jun 02, 2017 9:45 am

Interesting article on the possible formation of a 20+ solar mass bh without an accompanying supernova. Suggests maybe 30% of such bhs form by direct collapse...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Astronomy & Space Science