Mystery Signal from One of Most Massive Objects in Universe

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Mystery Signal from One of Most Massive Objects in Universe

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Jun 25, 2016 2:35 pm

"I couldn't believe my eyes," said Esra Bulbul of the Harvard Center for Astrophysics in July of 2014. "What we found, at first glance, could not be explained by known physics." Together with a team of more than a half-dozen colleagues, Bulbul used NASA's Chandra X-Ray Observatory to explore the Perseus Cluster, a swarm of galaxies approximately 250 million light years from Earth. Imagine a cloud of gas in which each atom is a whole galaxy—that's a bit what the Perseus cluster is like. It is one of the most massive known objects in the Universe. The cluster itself is immersed in an enormous 'atmosphere' of superheated plasma—and it is there that the mystery resides.

The spectral line appears not to come from any known type of matter, which shifts suspicion to the unknown: dark matter.

"After we submitted the paper, theoreticians came up with about 60 different dark matter types which could explain this line. Some particle physicists have jokingly called this particle a 'bulbulon'," she laughed.

The menagerie of dark matter candidates that might produce this kind of line include axions, sterile neutrinos, and "moduli dark matter" that may result from the curling up of extra dimensions in string theory.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... pular.html
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: Mystery Signal from One of Most Massive Objects in Universe

#2  Postby chairman bill » Jun 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Or it could be aliens ... It's definitely aliens.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 26, 2016 6:34 am

God farted?
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby the_5th_ape » Jun 26, 2016 6:53 am

chairman bill wrote:Or it could be aliens ... It's definitely aliens.

:nod:
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 26, 2016 10:15 am

the_5th_ape wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Or it could be aliens ... It's definitely aliens.

:nod:

Well, the only thing to do is to secede from the universe. Or the EU, or something. :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Jun 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Are they sure that thing is more massive than Trump's ego?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby GrahamH » Jun 26, 2016 1:22 pm

crank wrote:Are they sure that thing is more massive than Trump's ego?

That is probably larger, but has no mass. Low density.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8  Postby Alan B » Jun 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Secede from the Universe? You do realise that you have activate the Vegan Treaty Article 50 before secession can take effect...

Sent from my PSP5508DUO using Tapatalk
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Imagine a cloud of gas in which each atom is a whole galaxy—that's a bit what the Perseus cluster is like.

Ah, I love these sorts of meaningless statements.

Thanks for yet more sensationalistic, vapid yellow journalism 5th Ape, don't know what we'd do without it :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SkyMutt » Jun 26, 2016 6:16 pm

Of course this story is from 2 years ago, and the finding has been widely discussed. In such discussions (for instance see "X-ray signal from outer space points to dark matter") people often mentioned the hope that the Astro-H (Hitomi) x-ray telescope would help clear up questions about the 3.5 KeV "line." Sadly, Hitomi was lost. Until one of the other x-ray telescopes makes it into orbit, it seems this anomaly will remain unresolved.
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby chairman bill » Jun 26, 2016 6:58 pm

Alan B wrote:Secede from the Universe? You do realise that you have activate the Vegan Treaty Article 50 before secession can take effect...

Couldn't we just send them some brown rice & tofu
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Gord » Jun 30, 2016 9:04 am

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/332003/hl201604

...Mike Anderson and Eugene Churazov...assembled very large samples of galaxies for their study....

...the model including an emission line at 3.57 keV from the decay of sterile neutrinos is very strongly disfavoured by the data compared to no emission line....

...This study therefore provides very strong statistical evidence against the hypothesis that the unidentified X-ray emission line in the spectra of galaxy clusters originates from sterile neutrino dark matter....

http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.4115

We conduct a comprehensive search for X-ray emission lines from sterile neutrino dark matter, motivated by recent claims of unidentified emission lines in the stacked X-ray spectra of galaxy clusters and the centers of the Milky Way and M31.... We find no significant evidence of any emission lines....
Me: "'What' is a pronoun."
Him: "I don't know."
Me: "What?"
Gord

Name: Seriously, it's Gord.

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science