New Horizons - Mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: New Horizons - Mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt

#41  Postby newolder » Jan 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Here it is:
At left is a composite of two images taken by New Horizons' high-resolution Long-Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI), which provides the best indication of Ultima Thule's size and shape so far. Preliminary measurements of this Kuiper Belt object suggest it is approximately 20 miles long by 10 miles wide (32 kilometers by 16 kilometers). An artist's impression at right illustrates one possible appearance of Ultima Thule, based on the actual image at left. The direction of Ultima's spin axis is indicated by the arrows.

Credits: NASA/JHUAPL/SwRI; sketch courtesy of James Tuttle Keane

Resolution and the addition of colour will happen soon... This is another inbound image.

Three stacked images on the way in...
This sequence of three images, received on Dec. 31, 2018, and taken by the LORRI camera onboard New Horizons at 70 and 85 minutes apart illustrates the rotation of Ultima Thule.

Credits: NASA/JHUAPL/SwRI

Rotation obs. & models:
Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby laklak » Jan 02, 2019 3:37 am

A cosmic bowling pin. The Dude abides, man.
Attachments
The Dude Bowling Pin.jpg
The Dude Bowling Pin.jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 223 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#43  Postby newolder » Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm

The next press release at 2pm EST/1900GMT promises clearer imagery and first science data...
Where to watch/follow links at this page.
:excited:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby The_Piper » Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

:eager:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby newolder » Jan 02, 2019 7:09 pm

The bowling pin idea is replaced with a snowman or pre-duck (in reference to comet 67P) made by a contact binary (sorry, the Dude) coloured red.
Scale: 33 km from the "top" of the little one (Thule) to the "base" of the big one (Ultima).
Thule is 1/3rd the volume of Ultima.
Image taken about 1 hour before closest approach at a range of about 50 000 km.
Rotation period determined at 15 hours (axis as on previous image up topic).

Colour, Monochrome, Colour overlaid on mono:
Last edited by newolder on Jan 02, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby Regina » Jan 02, 2019 7:12 pm

newolder wrote:The bowling pin idea is replaced with a snowman made by a contact binary (sorry, the Dude).

It's clearly a peanut.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 03, 2019 3:06 am

Then there's this:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nasa-gives-its-mission-target-a-name-right-out-of-nazi-mythology_us_5c2cd728e4b05c88b704c484

NASA Has A Bit Of A Nazi Problem With Its ‘Ultima Thule’ Name
The distant space object is named after an ancient term — that was later co-opted by the Nazis.

In naming that distant object “Ultima Thule,” NASA also tapped into one of human history’s darkest passages. The term, which dates back to ancient Greece and Rome, refers to a frigid “place beyond” the lands that the West had explored at the time, and was later co-opted by the Nazis to refer to the mythological birthplace of the Aryan race.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby laklak » Jan 03, 2019 3:52 am

Well, Frosty is probably a Dude.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Rumraket » Jan 03, 2019 4:11 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Then there's this:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nasa-gives-its-mission-target-a-name-right-out-of-nazi-mythology_us_5c2cd728e4b05c88b704c484

The distant space object is named after an ancient term — that was later co-opted by the Nazis.

In naming that distant object “Ultima Thule,” NASA also tapped into one of human history’s darkest passages. The term, which dates back to ancient Greece and Rome, refers to a frigid “place beyond” the lands that the West had explored at the time, and was later co-opted by the Nazis to refer to the mythological birthplace of the Aryan race.

How lame. The take-offense brigade is at it again. Obviously New Horizons is exploring the outer reaches of the solar system, so calling one of those outer objects an ancient Greek name for a "frigid place beyond", which it literally is, is entirely appropriate. Can these people just shut up and get on with their useless lives?

What's next, Hitler liked dogs so now we have to euthanize them all?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#50  Postby Hermit » Jan 03, 2019 6:06 am

Rumraket wrote:

How lame. The take-offense brigade is at it again. Obviously New Horizons is exploring the outer reaches of the solar system, so calling one of those outer objects an ancient Greek name for a "frigid place beyond", which it literally is, is entirely appropriate. Can these people just shut up and get on with their useless lives?

Well, that's HuffPo for you. The founder and owner sold the site to AOL for $315 million in 2011, but HuffPo paid its writers nothing until not quite a year ago. Now it pays some of its contributors a pittance, and you know the old saying: You get what you pay for.
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby newolder » Jan 03, 2019 9:27 am

Alan Stern addressed this in the latest presser. Paraphrase: Just because some bad guys took this name for their dire politics doesn't mean we cannot reclaim the name (meaning "frigid place beyond") for our distant explorations beyond Pluto and close to absolute zero temperature.

Edit to remove misplaced comma.
Last edited by newolder on Jan 03, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am

Rumraket wrote:

Like I said somewhere else, I think most people are completely unaware of this until they encounter a news article like this.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 03, 2019 10:28 am

Hermit wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

Well, that's HuffPo for you. The founder and owner sold the site to AOL for $315 million in 2011, but HuffPo paid its writers nothing until not quite a year ago. Now it pays some of its contributors a pittance, and you know the old saying: You get what you pay for.

It's not just Huffpo though, similar articles have appeared in other news media, among which the Israel Times and the NY Times.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 03, 2019 10:28 am

newolder wrote:Alan Stern addressed this in the latest presser. Paraphrase: Just because some bad guys took this name for their dire politics doesn't mean we cannot reclaim the name (meaning "frigid place beyond") for our distant, explorations beyond Pluto and close to absolute zero temperature.

Indeed.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#55  Postby newolder » Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

All images from yesterday's press conference here.

Today's press conference scheduled for 2PM EST, 1900GMT with further data and images...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby newolder » Jan 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Play time!

Insert your location into this wolframalpha box to see the size of Ultima Thule compared to that locality.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby felltoearth » Jan 03, 2019 8:18 pm

It looks a bit like a double bellend so if nazis want it as a symbol I couldn’t think of anything more appropriate.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby newolder » Jan 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Some more approach images successfully downloaded:
More @ Emily Lakdawalla's blog post

Approach images made into movies here
newolder