Observing - what did you see tonight?

With what did you observe?

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Observing - what did you see tonight?

#141  Postby Macdoc » Nov 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Cool scope ...anyone got any clear skies :(
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#142  Postby felltoearth » Nov 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Macdoc wrote:Cool scope ...anyone got any clear skies :(

Omg yes. Soooo gloomy.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#143  Postby newolder » Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm

If it's too gloomy out, try these superb images...
IIAPY 2018: winners announced

We present the winners of the Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2018 competition.

IIAPY is the world's premier astrophotography competition, each year welcoming thousands of entries from astrophotographers across the globe.

2018 saw over 4,200 entries from 911 photographers, including 186 images from young photographers aged 15 and under.

Images @ sky at night magazine link
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#144  Postby theropod » Nov 25, 2018 5:13 am

B8DA9F58-8416-4B20-A3B8-DD4BD2550326.jpeg
Orion Nebula
B8DA9F58-8416-4B20-A3B8-DD4BD2550326.jpeg (841.45 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

The nebula in the belt of Orion.

This was produced using a DIY refractor from a salvaged 50 mm binocular objective lens, PVC plumbing parts and a 12.5 mm eyepiece. The prisms were removed for clarity. I used my old iPhone 6 to capture the image employing the app Nightcap Camera. The wind was howling and a near full moon hindered things. This is the best shot of hundreds at 5 seconds each, and there is still wind wobble in this frame. Tracked. ISO 200. Exposure f2.2 (1/2). White Balance 3,000.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#145  Postby felltoearth » Nov 25, 2018 3:37 pm

theropod wrote:
B8DA9F58-8416-4B20-A3B8-DD4BD2550326.jpeg

The nebula in the belt of Orion.

This was produced using a DIY refractor from a salvaged 50 mm binocular objective lens, PVC plumbing parts and a 12.5 mm eyepiece. The prisms were removed for clarity. I used my old iPhone 6 to capture the image employing the app Nightcap Camera. The wind was howling and a near full moon hindered things. This is the best shot of hundreds at 5 seconds each, and there is still wind wobble in this frame. Tracked. ISO 200. Exposure f2.2 (1/2). White Balance 3,000.

RS

Fantastic all things considered! What did you use for tracking?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#146  Postby theropod » Nov 25, 2018 7:55 pm

92B2C9E8-B479-4E47-AA21-3A821405E920.jpeg
Semi-DIY Telescope Setup
92B2C9E8-B479-4E47-AA21-3A821405E920.jpeg (1014.26 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

The tracking is provided via the red iOptron Skytracker Pro, which is sitting on a Bosch contractors tripod. I made a little leveling wedge out of 1” 90° aluminum to get the ball head on level (which allows more freedom of pointing). Sitting on the ball head is my home made telescope. The objective lens, and housing, is salvaged directly from a failed set of binoculars. The prisms were taken out of the light path and clarity went WAY up. The eyepiece is the 1.25” dia 12.5 mm provided with my Celestron C-90 Mak. Simple PVC plumbing parts make up the body and eyepiece holder, and all that is zip tied to the aluminum base of a full format hard drive. The phone adapter clamps to the PVC section holding the eyepiece. This allows me to slide the eyepiece inside the fitting for focus adjusting without moving the phone. The inside of the PVC is still white, and will be flocked. I also want to refine the focus system to threaded control.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#147  Postby felltoearth » Nov 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Cool!

:cheers:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#148  Postby newolder » Dec 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Link to finder chart for comet Wirtanen from spaceweather:
http://spaceweather.com/images2018/12de ... m61kq2jnv3

Just been looking for it with my brother and his camera and think I see a faint smudge in the correct location - photo to follow if he got it...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#149  Postby theropod » Dec 17, 2018 2:24 am

Just went out and had a look with my little 5x monocular, and found Wirtanen easily. Damn shame I can’t carry out my gear and get a pict. The comet is a fuzzy little ball of cuteness. Maybe the sawbones will clear me to lift more than a few pounds before it heads back out into the darkness.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#150  Postby theropod » Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm

97544FFA-22CB-4018-91D5-75BD60F86BFF.jpeg
August 13, 2019 Perseid, Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
97544FFA-22CB-4018-91D5-75BD60F86BFF.jpeg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 765 times

I am learning to deal with light pollution for the first time. The Willamette valley is not the ideal location for sky watching. Combine a near full moon into the equation and I suppose I’m lucky to have caught this little cutie. Looking almost due east approximately 25° above horizon.

I set up my phone on my tracker and got it aligned after the shock of how much elevation change there is between here and northern Arkansas. I set my white balance way low, and this seemed to help limit the frames all turning to grey noise. I also set the ISO FAR lower than normal (640). This is a 5 minute exposure late in my session that ended a little after midnight, and I hadn’t checked my polar alignment since initial setup so there is a little smearing in what few stars that can be seen.

Between 10:45 and 11:15 there was an outburst of about 20 very nice Perseids, and one terminated in a sparkling breakup. Of course all those fell off frame. I did manage to photograph 4 other meteors last night, but they are either small or partially obstructed by trees. My views are very limited in the small city park across from where we are staying.

When the moon begins to wane we are planning a trip to the high desert before cool weather sets it. Life got in the way of going for the Perseids, but it will be a non factor looking through a telescope. I can’t wait.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#151  Postby felltoearth » Aug 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Very cool! I have been working as crew on a bike rally and have been collapsing around 10pm and thus missing the show. Too bad as the skies have been pretty clear with minimal light pollution.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Alan B » Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Tried to have a look - bleeding clouds. :(
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#153  Postby theropod » Aug 14, 2019 9:56 pm

BE9A573F-2B12-4975-88AA-CACAC9DF8C16.jpeg
Perseid #2 from August 12, 2019
BE9A573F-2B12-4975-88AA-CACAC9DF8C16.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 774 times

Here’s the only other Perseid I managed to capture last night worth sharing. Just over the tree and to the right of the plane trail. This is looking almost straight north, maybe 10° to the east. Those are the top three stars of Cassiopeia rising just above tree.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby felltoearth » Aug 20, 2019 10:45 am

Was that fairly early in the night?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#155  Postby theropod » Aug 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Yes, Felltoearth, that was abut 10:30ish.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#156  Postby felltoearth » Aug 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Same night I was at the edge of the Bay of Quinte in Adolphustown. (44.0637300, -77.0065599)

Not bad viewing but didn’t see anything. Maybe it wasn’t dark enough.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#157  Postby theropod » Aug 20, 2019 6:29 pm

felltoearth wrote:Same night I was at the edge of the Bay of Quinte in Adolphustown. (44.0637300, -77.0065599)

Not bad viewing but didn’t see anything. Maybe it wasn’t dark enough.

The Perseids seemed to come in waves this year. I saw one stretch of about a half hour when at least 20 nice long train color shifters fell. Between those spurts I saw hardly any falls. Perhaps I missed most of the smaller ones because of the absolutely horrid light pollution here. Maybe next year the moon won’t be a royal bitch, and I can get myself over in the high desert. I really want to get a nice DSLR before then.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#158  Postby felltoearth » Aug 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Yeah the moon was a particular problem.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#159  Postby felltoearth » Aug 20, 2019 10:20 pm

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#160  Postby theropod » Aug 21, 2019 12:04 am

While I didn’t have my phone attached to my scope last night I saw what will probably be a once in a lifetime event. I was experimenting with my eyepieces, Barlow and diagonals and using Saturn as a target. I was attempting to resolve the Cassini division with my 32mm and Barlow without my diagonal, which I managed, when a tiny little meteor crossed a part of the FOV! The little streak was just a few degrees long, and could have been no more than a small grain of sand. That made me sit back and stare at the night sky slack jawed. Seeing as Jupiter was about to go behind some trees I set up on the monster. I had no more than got Jupiter centered, and was looking at its moons, when a satellite streaked across the FOV. Again, I was floored. I gotta get a reliable method to easily attach, and remove, my phone to/from my scope without it being like knitting spider silk. The newish Celestron neXYZ looks really nice.
RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science