Ongoing supernova in M85?

Requests for amateur observations...

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Ongoing supernova in M85?

#1  Postby newolder » Jun 25, 2020 3:04 pm

According to AstroNote 2020 126
Here we report the ATLAS discovery of the transient ATLAS20qoq (AT2020nlb) in galaxy MESSIER 85. The transient was discovered on MJD 59025.3 (2020-06-25.3) at m_o = 17.44 +/- 0.08. At a host distance of 17 Mpc, this corresponds to an absolute magnitude of M = -13.7 +/- 0.2. We have a recent non-detection two days before on MJD 59023.3 (2020-06-23.3), indicating this is a newly discovered transient and most probably a very young supernova. Rapid multi-wavelength follow-up of the source is strongly encouraged.

More @ link above

via twitter
We've just found new supernova candidate AT2020nlb in galaxy Messier85. @fallingstarIfA ATLAS telescope Mauna Loa, Hawaii spotted it few hours ago, data processed
@QUBelfast. This is big nearby galaxy, just the 55 million lightyrs away. Young explosion, didn't see it 2 days ago.

@SteveSmartt

When will the associated neutrinos arrive at the IceCube detector, I wonder? :ask:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ongoing supernova in M85?

#2  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Shouldn’t the neutrino wave proceed the EM event?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Jun 25, 2020 4:04 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:Shouldn’t the neutrino wave proceed the EM event?

RS

I don't know. The neutrinos are emitted first but they don't travel at exactly c so the later emitted light has a chance to overtake the neutrinos en route. I don't know if 55 million light years is enough distance to allow this to happen though. :dunno:

I recall reports that neutrinos from SN1987a arrived to IceCube or some other neutrino detector before the light reached earthly telescopes but that SN was closer than 200k light years distant. :think:

ETA Here's the SN1987a neutrino report:
The appearance of a supernova in the Large Magellanic Cloud made it possible for the first time to detect the neutrino emission from the explosion of a stellar object. Several groups reported neutrino events, a few hours before the onset of the optical signal. ...

More @ Nature article
Last edited by newolder on Jun 25, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks, now I’m wishing I had a big ole light bucket Newt.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2020 8:46 am

newolder wrote:via twitter
...nearby galaxy, just the 55 million lightyrs away.

Impressive. If I could travel at 300,000km/hr I'd get there in just 55 million years. Some neighbourhood.

Also, am I right in supposing that when astronomers speak of "ongoing" they mean "55 million years ago" in this case?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby newolder » Jun 26, 2020 9:11 am

300,000 km/hr is a mere 83 km/s so it'll take a lot longer than 55 million years to get there at that speed*.

Ongoing is for an observer on Earth and yes, the event began about 55 million years ago and the signals are just reaching us now.

*ETA The red shift recession velocity of M85 is 729 ± 2 km/s (wiki) so, you'd never get there at the quoted speed.

Aside: Events with accompanying e-m signals, gravitational waves and neutrinos (aka multi-messenger) can be used to make independent (from other techniques) estimates of the Hubble constant too. I expect such calculations for this event to be published somewhere soon... Wrong topic! :doh:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am

newolder wrote:300,000 km/hr is a mere 83 km/s so it'll take a lot longer than 55 million years to get there at that speed.

:oops: I blame my galloping dementia. It's become increasingly worrisome since I switched the espresso machine to "go" without placing the coffee mug underneath the spout a couple of years ago.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby newolder » Jun 26, 2020 11:20 am

No worries. Seconds and hours are indistinguishable to photons too.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Jun 26, 2020 11:29 am

:lol:

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby felltoearth » Jun 26, 2020 11:32 pm

Hermit wrote:
newolder wrote:300,000 km/hr is a mere 83 km/s so it'll take a lot longer than 55 million years to get there at that speed.

:oops: I blame my galloping dementia. It's become increasingly worrisome since I switched the espresso machine to "go" without placing the coffee mug underneath the spout a couple of years ago.

No problem, I had the exact same machine. I switched the machine to go once, got distracted, headed to the bedroom for something and took too long. The entire water reservoir was used up, ended on the floor and I burned out the pump. Dumb.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science