Painting other habitable worlds

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Painting other habitable worlds

#21  Postby BlackBart » May 09, 2019 2:05 pm

aufbahrung wrote:They knew how to imagine in those days without a CPU doing the heavy lifting for them.

Yeah? Why don't you show us how easy it is to produce some artwork with just a CPU then?

:popcorn:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby theropod » May 10, 2019 12:33 pm

The_Piper wrote:
newolder wrote:
The_Piper wrote:You can't fly a helicopter on Mars, the atmosphere is too thin. Landing anything anywhere there is probably the biggest challenge.

NASA JPL disagree.

Mission web page link
The Mars Helicopter is a technology demonstration that will travel to the Red Planet with the Mars 2020 rover. It will attempt controlled flight in Mars' thin atmosphere, which may enable more ambitious missions in the future.

Meanwhile... What is the OP's definition of an"other habitable world"? How do we know what worlds are habitable? By whom?
This is one of those times that I'm happy to be wrong. :mrgreen:

I feel one should always be happy to be wrong, and (critically) to adapt ones thinking to better reflect observational reality.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Blackadder » May 10, 2019 1:05 pm

theropod wrote:I feel one should always be happy to be wrong, and (critically) to adapt ones thinking to better reflect observational reality.

RS

Now just hold on a minute there, Mister. You can’t just go around changing your mind cos of evidence and stuff. Y’all sound like one of those scientist types. And that ain’t right.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Spearthrower » May 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Smells like sorcery.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Mike_L » May 10, 2019 1:21 pm

BlackBart wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:They knew how to imagine in those days without a CPU doing the heavy lifting for them.

Yeah? Why don't you show us how easy it is to produce some artwork with just a CPU then?

:popcorn:

:nod:
Is AI at its current level of sophistication capable of producing art, or is it merely a 'filter' through which humans are expressing themselves on the canvas / screen / printout paper?
This recent article in Scientific American is quite interesting. (It was prompted by the first ever auction at Christie's of an "AI-generated" painting)...

Can AI Create True Art?
And if it can, what are the implications for the future of creativity?

By Ken Weiner on November 12, 2018

As AI becomes an unstoppable force, it raises some difficult questions about the future role of humans in an increasingly automated world. Initial studies are showing that we can add the most value by focusing on four key areas: critical thinking, problem solving, managing human interactions, and above all else, expressing creativity. In short, our future role involves embracing these last bastions of human exclusivity and becoming more “human.”

But just last month, AI-generated art arrived on the world auction stage under the auspices of Christie’s, proving that artificial intelligence can not only be creative but also produce world class works of art—another profound AI milestone blurring the line between human and machine.

Full article at:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/can-ai-create-true-art/
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby The_Piper » May 10, 2019 2:33 pm

theropod wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
newolder wrote:
The_Piper wrote:You can't fly a helicopter on Mars, the atmosphere is too thin. Landing anything anywhere there is probably the biggest challenge.

NASA JPL disagree.

Mission web page link
The Mars Helicopter is a technology demonstration that will travel to the Red Planet with the Mars 2020 rover. It will attempt controlled flight in Mars' thin atmosphere, which may enable more ambitious missions in the future.

Meanwhile... What is the OP's definition of an"other habitable world"? How do we know what worlds are habitable? By whom?
This is one of those times that I'm happy to be wrong. :mrgreen:

I feel one should always be happy to be wrong, and (critically) to adapt ones thinking to better reflect observational reality.

RS

I agree with the second part of the sentence, but I'm not always happy to be wrong. I'll use the example of how I said on the night of the 2016 election that Donald Trump didn't have a prayer of winning.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby theropod » May 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Piper,

Even in this you should be happy. Why? Because it showed you what voter apathy, and mass media pundit/poll influence, can do to diminish the will of the people. Now you, and I hope many many others, will not only get out and vote, but also work to install a functional government. You don’t have to be happy with the results of a screwed up election, but you are now far more aware of the factors at work, and that should cheer you up. Imagine not understanding that elections have consequences. Now that would be some sad shit.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby laklak » May 10, 2019 6:49 pm

"Barsoom" is the prefered nomenclature, dude. They only photograph the safe parts because they don't want to cause a global panic. Here's an unsafe bit:
Attachments
barsoom.jpg
barsoom.jpg (178.6 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Spearthrower » May 10, 2019 7:00 pm

laklak wrote:... because they don't want to cause a global panic.

Sounds legit! :thumbup:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby theropod » May 11, 2019 2:58 pm

This thread has me fagged out.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Looks like auf hasn't looked at any metal album covers lately, space paintings are back!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Space Science