Pale Blue Dot

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Pale Blue Dot

#41  Postby mindhack » Dec 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Such a positive vibe in here there must be good stuff going on. Bookmarking to explore later :)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby kennyc » Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Has to be the first post here....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lm6pEhykhs[/youtube]

From this distant vantage point the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different! Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbour life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit? Yes. Settle? Not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

This is my all time favorite inspirational science video! Thanks for posting and stickying it!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Mine too: had it translated into Thai for friends to enjoy, but can't find anyone with a reading voice that can in any way live up to Sagan's! :(
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby mindhack » Feb 16, 2013 2:06 am

Just tried to share my enthusiasm about Sagan and the pale blue dot with my girlfriend.

I found an undeniable "no" as an answer. Her world is about people, period. :nono:

Does anyone have an illuminating idea how to instill in her the near same level of awe I feel, about the universe and its magnificance?

Where to begin?

I'd be so happy if she would see what I see, even remotely.

:(
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#45  Postby kennyc » Feb 16, 2013 2:11 am

Well then, time for a new girlfriend. ;) :o :shock:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby mindhack » Feb 16, 2013 2:12 am

No way Kenny. She's got too many other qualities :)
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#47  Postby kennyc » Feb 16, 2013 2:13 am

You'll be sorry. :D Don't say I didn't warn you. :rofl:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby mindhack » Feb 16, 2013 2:25 am

We were in France last summer. We' d rented a house, big house, a whine distillery of some sort.

The moment we arrived she felt the need to scout and explore the area.

I agree with her, that's something I feel too, explore the area, but why then when it's about her life as a whole, on this planet, in this universe, suddenly she's not interested in scouting and exploring?

I just don't get it.

I asked her again just now. She confirmed again, her world is about people :nono:
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#49  Postby mindhack » Feb 16, 2013 2:31 am

Religion is just another step
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Briton » Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

Never gets old. Thanks for posting...hadn't watched it for a while.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby sevink » Apr 26, 2013 1:10 pm

I can't explain how I felt when watching this for the first time.
sevink

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Re:

#52  Postby natselrox » Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

natselrox wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
natselrox wrote:I have always felt the need to create a video providing the perspective from the opposite direction, the microscopic world. If only I could write that well...

Sounds great, I'll help! :cheers:

So it's final this time! We're doing this! :cheers:

It's not exactly the same but I hope this trend catches on and inspires the next generation into neuroscience as the night sky inspired us into astronomy.

Neurodome
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#53  Postby kennyc » Oct 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Something seems wrong with the youtube link in the first post, but it's my favorite version.

Here's an new one just put up:

Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby pensioner » Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm

kennyc wrote:Something seems wrong with the youtube link in the first post, but it's my favorite version.

Here's an new one just put up:

Brilliant that’s all I have to say.
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 21, 2014 6:07 pm

mindhack wrote:Just tried to share my enthusiasm about Sagan and the pale blue dot with my girlfriend.

I found an undeniable "no" as an answer. Her world is about people, period. :nono:

Does anyone have an illuminating idea how to instill in her the near same level of awe I feel, about the universe and its magnificance?

Where to begin?

I'd be so happy if she would see what I see, even remotely.

:(

I doubt anything would work, old boy... but perhaps try via the Mayfly:

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby hackenslash » Sep 22, 2014 8:49 am

Or try this:

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby akigr8 » Sep 22, 2014 7:08 pm

I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#58  Postby Sadegh » Jul 29, 2015 10:55 pm

The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of stupid religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every daytime television guest, every cop on a power trip, every simian drill instructor, every meth and crack addict, every sex trafficker, every abusive mother and father, two-faced lawyer, liar and hypocrite, every moral busybody, every corrupt politician, every cranky old person, every televangelist, every sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
La guerra è bella perché inaugura la sognata metallizzazione del corpo umano.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Sep 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Sadegh wrote:The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of stupid religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every daytime television guest, every cop on a power trip, every simian drill instructor, every meth and crack addict, every sex trafficker, every abusive mother and father, two-faced lawyer, liar and hypocrite, every moral busybody, every corrupt politician, every cranky old person, every televangelist, every sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Wow. If you were in a room with a painting by Rembrandt and a cat box, I expect we'd later discover you smeared with feces and bitching about how shitty the room is. :crazy:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2015 4:57 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Sadegh wrote:The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of stupid religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every daytime television guest, every cop on a power trip, every simian drill instructor, every meth and crack addict, every sex trafficker, every abusive mother and father, two-faced lawyer, liar and hypocrite, every moral busybody, every corrupt politician, every cranky old person, every televangelist, every sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Wow. If you were in a room with a painting by Rembrandt and a cat box, I expect we'd later discover you smeared with feces and bitching about how shitty the room is. :crazy:

Aye, the original was a balanced cast of the 'aggregate of our joy and suffering', while the above is the product of depressive cherrypicking.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science