Pale Blue Dot

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Pale Blue Dot

#61  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Sep 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Aye, the original was a balanced cast of the 'aggregate of our joy and suffering', while the above is the product of depressive cherrypicking.

:nod:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Sadegh » Oct 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Sadegh wrote:The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of stupid religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every daytime television guest, every cop on a power trip, every simian drill instructor, every meth and crack addict, every sex trafficker, every abusive mother and father, two-faced lawyer, liar and hypocrite, every moral busybody, every corrupt politician, every cranky old person, every televangelist, every sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Wow. If you were in a room with a painting by Rembrandt and a cat box, I expect we'd later discover you smeared with feces and bitching about how shitty the room is. :crazy:

Aye, the original was a balanced cast of the 'aggregate of our joy and suffering', while the above is the product of depressive cherrypicking.

The above was inspired by the following:

Meant to serve as a rebuttal to anti-abortion rhetoric about what a tragedy it is to abort a fetus that could have become the next great so-and-so. This image makes the entirely salient point that any given fetus that could be aborted is far more likely to become one of those people than anything worth being.

Also, describing the great odious bulk of humanity accurately isn't "cherry-picking".
La guerra è bella perché inaugura la sognata metallizzazione del corpo umano.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Sadegh wrote:
Also, describing the great odious bulk of humanity accurately isn't "cherry-picking".

Describing the bulk of humanity accurately isn't cherry picking. But that's not what you did. You haven't demonstrated an affinity for accuracy anywhere on this forum.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Sadegh » Oct 02, 2015 5:08 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Sadegh wrote:

Describing the bulk of humanity accurately isn't cherry picking. But that's not what you did.

I did: stupid, vacuous, greedy, shallow, thoughtless, corrupt.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Sadegh wrote:

Ahh with your clarification, I can now be more specific.

It's anally extracted cherrypicking.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 6:43 pm

Sadegh wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Sadegh wrote:

Describing the bulk of humanity accurately isn't cherry picking. But that's not what you did.

And your source for this sweeping claim?

No more words without sources, please.

You don't get to pollute this thread with your inane guff.

Edit: Nah, screw it. I'll just ask the mods for a split right now. The chances of Sadegh doing as requested is essentially zero.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Sadegh » Oct 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Sadegh wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Sadegh wrote:

These assessments are invariably partly a matter of opinion. Finding other people "vacuous", for example, is just how I experience things, and generally is how I've experienced things since early childhood. I don't think you can objectively justify an opinion on that one way or another. Anyway, as far as intelligence is concerned, though I never really found George Carlin funny, I did find him insightful sometimes:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Average intelligence is effectively pretty stupid. Regarding the issue of greed, there is a very good book I mentioned in another thread about how deeply rooted human avarice is ruining the planet:

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Smart-our-Own ... B007MXBNGS

Before any quips about the title, take note of table of contents, specifically how the final chapter is named.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Sadegh wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Sadegh wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:

These assessments are invariably partly a matter of opinion. Finding other people "vacuous", for example, is just how I experience things, and generally is how I've experienced things since early childhood. I don't think you can objectively justify an opinion on that one way or another. Anyway, as far as intelligence is concerned, though I never really found George Carlin funny, I did find him insightful sometimes:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Average intelligence is effectively pretty stupid. Regarding the issue of greed, there is a very good book I mentioned in another thread about how deeply rooted human avarice is ruining the planet:

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Smart-our-Own ... nskepti-20

Before any quips about the title, take note of table of contents, specifically how the final chapter is named.

Yeah, that's the point Sadegh. I don't care about your opinion. You've gone from making a declaration about the entirety of humanity to a 'it's just my opinion' in one post. Don't care. Stow it. Save it for one of your own train-wreck threads.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby Sadegh » Oct 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Well the part about human greed terminally shitting up the planet is certainly not just my opinion. I'd say that's pretty important, wouldn't you? Is it incumbent on me to view the human condition with awe and wonder when humanity looks like an algal bloom, or malignant tumor?

Oh and by the way, what you presumably perceive as a more "balanced" view that takes into account the "aggregate of our joy and suffering" is not just your opinion, or not just anyone else's opinion because...?

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Parrots are less predictable conversational partners.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Sadegh » Oct 02, 2015 7:03 pm

I'm going to keep saying these things as often as I need to.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Sadegh wrote:Well the part about human greed terminally shitting up the planet is certainly not just my opinion. I'd say that's pretty important, wouldn't you? Is it incumbent on me to view the human condition with awe and wonder when humanity looks like an algal bloom, or malignant tumor?

Oh and by the way, what you presumably perceive as a more "balanced" view that takes into account the "aggregate of our joy and suffering" is not just your opinion, or not just anyone else's opinion because...?

Oh ffs.

This isn't a thread about how wonderfully unusual and provocative Sadegh can be - it's a thread about the Pale Blue Dot, now go ramble depressingly in another thread.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Oct 02, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#73  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Sadegh wrote:I'm going to keep saying these things as often as I need to.

Yes, vacuous trolling it is.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#74  Postby The_Piper » Oct 02, 2015 11:33 pm

I'll point out that both serial killers and daytime television hosts are very rare.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby hackenslash » Oct 03, 2015 7:06 am

Spearthrower wrote:And your source for this sweeping claim?

The mirror, one suspects.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if Sadegh isn't the illegitimate love-child of Mick and Andrew4Handel, if it weren't for the latter's alleged anti-natalism.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#76  Postby BlackBart » Oct 04, 2015 5:17 am

As your favourite movie character said. 'I can't say much for your chances, But... you have my sympathy.'

Bye bye, Sad egg, bye bye. :wave:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#77  Postby chango369 » Oct 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Not here you won't! :P
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2015 9:03 am

There was a really strong sense of invulnerability with this one - 'complain all you want about me and watch as nothing is done'. 'I'm going to report my own posts - see how the moderators keep me around even after I have drawn attention to myself'. 'I'm going to keep on saying stuff (I have all the time in the world on this forum) as often as I need to'. Either this attitude was all a part of the troll or the guy grossly overestimated his abilities. Whatever the case, he's still an irredeemable fuckstick blighted by both a micropenis and hands attached directly to his torso.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 05, 2015 9:06 am

But tell us what you really think about him.

The Pale Blue Dot is still a lovely speech.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#80  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Once, when I was about eight years old, a friend and I collected a number of Monarch caterpillars and kept them in a terrarium. We kept them clean and watered, and made sure they always had fresh milkweed leaves to chew on. They had a really good survival rate- nearly all of them pupated and almost all of the pupae hatched on pretty much the same morning.

So, that morning my friend and I were releasing Monarch butterflies. At least ten or fifteen of the beautiful things. They were resting on our fingers and our clothing as they pumped fluids into their wings and then they'd fly away. It was one of the most awesome things I did in my young life.

Meanwhile, one of the neighborhood girls, that very same morning, had industriously set about catching as many Monarch butterflies as she could. When I found her, she was crushing them under a rock. She remains to this day the only person I've ever struck in anger. I was in a rage, with tears running down my young face. I just couldn't understand how someone could be so senselessly and emotionlessly destructive to my beautiful butterflies, which I had raised from caterpillars.

I feel this can link back to internet trolls, somehow.... Fuckin' about with Sagan's beautiful words.

Also, USAians in this thread, please consider planting native milkweeds in your yards. Let's continue enjoying some Monarch butterflies on this Pale Blue Dot.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science