Pale Blue Dot

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Pale Blue Dot

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Has to be the first post here....

From this distant vantage point the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different! Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbour life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit? Yes. Settle? Not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
Last edited by The_Metatron on Sep 22, 2014 12:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Youtube tags by Life, stickied by MOS
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Pale Blue Dot

#2  Postby HughMcB » Feb 26, 2010 12:47 am

:fsm:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Piper » Feb 28, 2010 12:51 pm

I get choked up by that every time. When he talks about the "rivers of blood"
Abominable...
It's a terrific book. I was able to read it without ever being confused.
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby owen375 » Feb 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Can't believe I've not watched that before ... absolutely superb.
owen375

Print view this post

#5  Postby flyingscot » Mar 01, 2010 11:20 am

Beautiful, it never fails to move me. Perspective is everything.

Thanks for posting. :cheers:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."..Denis Diderot
Pale Blue Dot keeps everything in perspective.Image
flyingscot
RS Donator

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Banvard » Mar 03, 2010 4:25 am

It's like he's using poetry to describe the poetry of the universe. He talks with such a burning passion, it's also infectious in a good sort of way.
"I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain
Banvard

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 03, 2010 4:30 am

Reason: Youtube tags by Life, stickied by MOS

:cheers:

Flying Scot wrote:Beautiful, it never fails to move me. Perspective is everything.

Couldn't agree more! :cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby natselrox » Mar 03, 2010 4:39 am

I have always felt the need to create a video providing the perspective from the opposite direction, the microscopic world. If only I could write that well...
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 03, 2010 4:49 am

I thought I'd write it out - perhaps Made of Stars could cut the text below and add it to the sticky? :cheers:

From this distant vantage point the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different! Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on the mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbour life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit? Yes. Settle? Not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re:

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 03, 2010 4:49 am

natselrox wrote:I have always felt the need to create a video providing the perspective from the opposite direction, the microscopic world. If only I could write that well...

Sounds great, I'll help! :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Re:

#11  Postby natselrox » Mar 03, 2010 4:51 am

Spearthrower wrote:
natselrox wrote:I have always felt the need to create a video providing the perspective from the opposite direction, the microscopic world. If only I could write that well...

So it's final this time! We're doing this! :cheers:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 03, 2010 4:57 am

natselrox wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

I'll be happy to help with the writing part, but I have no digity-whatsamabob-audiothingammy skills. I'm also no expert on the microscopic world, but I feel equally passionate about its grandeur, space, and possibility as of the macroscopic one!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby heyjude » Mar 03, 2010 5:00 am

I will add this... some new inspiration to move forward with :cheers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cd36WJ79z4[/youtube]
I think therefore I am atheist
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby OgreMkV » Mar 03, 2010 5:06 am

I was eight when Cosmos came out. I didn't understand all of it and I wasn't too into history, but I watched every single episode with my dad and at that point, I knew that was what I wanted. I wanted to know what this guy on TV knew. I wanted to be able to speak about complicated things so easily and eloquently.

Carl Sagan is my inspiration, my one true hero. I'll never live up to his ideal, but I can dream.

Thank you spear for posting this for us all.
Even if you disprove evolution, it does not mean that ID or your religion is correct.
OgreMkV

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby natselrox » Mar 03, 2010 5:07 am

Spearthrower wrote:
natselrox wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

I'll be happy to help with the writing part, but I have no digity-whatsamabob-audiothingammy skills. I'm also no expert on the microscopic world, but I feel equally passionate about its grandeur, space, and possibility as of the macroscopic one!

We'll catch hackenslash for that or one of the girls (to add a different taste, maybe). I'll see if I can come up with a good theory. But I have an ENT exam tomorrow so maybe after that...

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I thought I'd write it out - perhaps Made of Stars could cut the text below and add it to the sticky? :cheers:

astronomy/pale-blue-dot-t72.html#p224

:cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby newolder » Mar 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Blue Marble from NASA/MODIS - another view of the dot but with a bit more resolution...
Also, 2 still frames@ BBC
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 06, 2010 1:08 pm

On my desktop already! Looks stunning on a 20" widescreen - my kids just stare and stare at it. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby thomasac13 » Mar 09, 2010 10:45 am

lol, I even made an Indonesian translation of it on my facebook page, and my fellow Indonesian Atheists loves it so much that we decided to put the translation on a website.
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 09, 2010 4:15 pm

thomasac13 wrote:lol, I even made an Indonesian translation of it on my facebook page, and my fellow Indonesian Atheists loves it so much that we decided to put the translation on a website.

Great news thomasac13!

This is a video I wish everyone could see! :thumbup:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Astronomy & Space Science