Rosetta: Alarm to sound for comet mission

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Rosetta: Alarm to sound for comet mission

#261  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Anyone know why the pov is moving. Is the lander moving or did they move the camera in order to get 3D info? Having a reference to scale would be nice as well.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#262  Postby newolder » Apr 26, 2018 9:43 pm

From the apod description:
... The 33 frames of the time compressed animation span about 25 minutes of real time. The stunning gif was constructed from consecutive images taken while Rosetta cruised some 13 kilometers from the comet's nucleus.

So it's Rosetta, not Philae, camera work from 13km distance (compare with the image in an earlier post about its proposed landing site). Seems a bit strange to me but what do I know? :scratch: Apart from still being stunned, that is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#263  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Ahh! Thanks newolder.

That makes more sense now. It looked to me to be taken from the surface and the lander location image did seem to match up with what I was imagining with the cliff on the left. It's actually from a distance at an oblique angle. Still amazing.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#264  Postby newolder » Jun 25, 2018 11:34 am

The final images of Rosetta's descent to the comet have now been combined in an ESA movie available with an associated article at the digg.com site.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#265  Postby newolder » Oct 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Virtual reality sample based on mission imagery...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#266  Postby newolder » Aug 03, 2019 8:49 am

In 2016 an exciting mission was ended.
The Rosetta spacecraft made its final manouver. A controlled hard-landing on the comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko (67p).
Before that Rosetta accompanied the Comet for more then 2 years. It researched valuable scientific data, brought a lander on to the comets surface and took a vast number of pictures.

2017 Esa released over 400000 images from Rosettas comet mission.
Based on these material Motion Designer Christian Stangl and Composer Wolfgang Stangl worked together to create this shortfilm.
The sequences are digitally enhanced real-footage from the probe.

Watch the beauty of an active alien body, far out in the dephts of our solar system.

If vimeo tag doesn't work, try here: https://vimeo.com/347565673
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Space Science