SpaceX

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: SpaceX

#321  Postby newolder » Jan 29, 2018 10:46 am

Looks ready to go after the static fire test:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#322  Postby Made of Stars » Jan 29, 2018 10:52 am

Yes, looks like they have the handle bars extended, and all.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#323  Postby Macdoc » Jan 29, 2018 12:02 pm

some how Dr Strangelove comes to mind. Yeeeehaaaaaw
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#324  Postby zulumoose » Jan 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Paint it another colour and it would not look out of place in Thunderbirds.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#325  Postby The_Piper » Jan 29, 2018 4:03 pm

:popcorn: :eager:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#326  Postby laklak » Jan 29, 2018 4:25 pm

They're trying for Feb 6th launch date, I'll be able to see it from here, about 140 miles as the crow flies.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#327  Postby Made of Stars » Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am

You'll prolly be able to hear it from there, lak.

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#328  Postby newolder » Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Meanwhile, there is a Falcon 9 launch scheduled for later today:
The launch window opens on Tuesday, January 30, at 4:25 p.m. EST, or 21:25 UTC...

Watch live here
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#329  Postby laklak » Jan 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Made of Stars wrote:You'll prolly be able to hear it from there, lak.

Possible, I imagine. We lived in Daytona Beach during the Apollo program, about 90 miles from Cape Kennedy. You could definitely hear the Saturn 5s. Best launch I saw was STS7, we were just across the lagoon from the pad. You could see the shock wave come across the lagoon, the water started rippling as it rolled towards us. Saw a night launch from there too, I think it was STS8. Lit the sky up like a sunrise. Those solid boosters put out one hell of a lot of light and noise.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#330  Postby newolder » Jan 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Standing down for today - second stage sensor needs fettling. Try again tomorrow.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#331  Postby newolder » Jan 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Launch update: "Wednesday, January 31, at 4:25 p.m. EST, or 21:25 UTC. ..." watch live at the same link as in post #328
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#332  Postby The_Piper » Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm

I wonder how many fish die in the splashdowns. :nono: :dopey:
This is my first Spacex launch viewing.

So, if humans ever make a moon station, can some of the space junk be reused or repurposed there?
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#333  Postby newolder » Jan 31, 2018 10:00 pm

I was surprised that stage 1 (a 2nd-time reused stage) did not attempt another landing. The commentator said that each 1st stage was due for 10s of reuses initially and rising to hundreds in future. :dunno:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#334  Postby patient zero » Feb 01, 2018 3:15 am

newolder wrote:I was surprised that stage 1 (a 2nd-time reused stage) did not attempt another landing. The commentator said that each 1st stage was due for 10s of reuses initially and rising to hundreds in future. :dunno:

I think I read this was an older model with only a handful of reuses possible.

Looks like it survived its water landing.

Elon Musk wrote:This rocket was meant to test very high retrothrust landing in water so it didn’t hurt the droneship, but amazingly it has survived. We will try to tow it back to shore.
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#335  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 01, 2018 9:58 am

This stage was an older Block 3 variant. SpaceX now have 3, I think, of these older boosters in storage and are planning to shift their fleet to the latest Block 5 model. Another factor was the launch to geostationary orbit, with a higher velocity return. The return was also significantly downrange, requiring a long transit and return for the drone landing ship and tug. They've no doubt prioritised their resources for the impending launch and planned return of the Falcon Heavy cores too.

As indicated above, they've used this older Block 3 core to test some variation (hotter landing) on the usual landing model, apparently successfully. Funny to see something the size of a 12 storey building floating like that.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#336  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 01, 2018 11:34 am

Elon Musk has confirmed on Twitter that SpaceX trialled a three engine landing burn with this one (usually only one engine for landing).

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#337  Postby newolder » Feb 01, 2018 11:41 am

Old and retired or not, it seems to have survived better than some of the earlier hard surface landing attempts. :thumbup:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#338  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 01, 2018 11:48 am

Yes, speaking of which:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#339  Postby newolder » Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Not spacex but NASA's RS-25 engine static test fire live in a few minutes... https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#340  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science