Starlink Blanks The Stars

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Starlink Blanks The Stars

#1  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 20, 2019 8:37 am

https://www.sciencealert.com/starlink-i ... stronomers

That Starlink Problem Astronomers Were Worried About Is Totally Happening
JACINTA BOWLER20 NOV 2019

For the modern astronomer, satellites are just a part of life. There are more than 2,000 active ones currently orbiting Earth, and the smartest minds in space photography have managed to work out clever ways of removing the occasional fly over from their images of space.

But then there's Starlink. The first stages of SpaceX's plan to launch up to 42,000 satellites to provide Earth with complete internet coverage have clocked in at 122 objects so far; after the first major launch in May, astronomers were worried.

Now a second launch has occurred, and their concerns have truly started to materialise.

(continued)
'Land of snap decisions
Land of short attention spans
Nothing is savored
Long enough to really, really understand'
- Joni Mitchell
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Starlink Blanks The Stars

#2  Postby Alan B » Nov 21, 2019 2:30 pm

That idiot Musk couldn't give a fuck about the possibility of not detecting an NEO which might be on a collision course with Earth because of optical interference caused by his crap 42,000 satellites.

Someone should stop or sabotage his rubbish system. This one 'person' will affect viewing of the whole of the night sky over the whole planet. Twat.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Starlink Blanks The Stars

#3  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm

I think it's a great idea. It creates a incentive to put astronomy in space and far away from low Earth orbit. Maybe on the Moon or Mars even. Can understand why some who see Earth as special might dislike the change, but it really isn't that special. The future of astronomy is in space and the future of low earth orbit is a closed sphere of solar panels letting no sunlight in, but providing the power for a type one civilization.
'Land of snap decisions
Land of short attention spans
Nothing is savored
Long enough to really, really understand'
- Joni Mitchell
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science