Aye aye captain!

A forum for people in the armed forces.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Aye aye captain!

#21  Postby Gawdzilla » May 18, 2010 1:35 am

There's a published scale of re-enlistment bonuses, so it won't be any surprise when you re-up if you do your homework. Just ask the bean-counters for the numbers. They probably have them taped to the wall in Disbursing.

Oh, and if you don't have a bank account now, you'll need it. Everything on ship is debit card now I understand. Direct deposit on the pay too. Anybody confirm that for him?
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Brian » May 18, 2010 1:47 am

Gawdzilla wrote:There's a published scale of re-enlistment bonuses, so it won't be any surprise when you re-up if you do your homework. Just ask the bean-counters for the numbers. They probably have them taped to the wall in Disbursing.

Good to know, I'll have to check into that.

Gawdzilla wrote:Oh, and if you don't have a bank account now, you'll need it. Everything on ship is debit card now I understand. Direct deposit on the pay too. Anybody confirm that for him?

I've heard that's true. I think the Navy even has it's own bank just in case a sailor doesn't. I have one, though, so shouldn't be a big issue. :)
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Gawdzilla » May 18, 2010 1:51 am

Brian wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:There's a published scale of re-enlistment bonuses, so it won't be any surprise when you re-up if you do your homework. Just ask the bean-counters for the numbers. They probably have them taped to the wall in Disbursing.

Good to know, I'll have to check into that.

Gawdzilla wrote:Oh, and if you don't have a bank account now, you'll need it. Everything on ship is debit card now I understand. Direct deposit on the pay too. Anybody confirm that for him?

I've heard that's true. I think the Navy even has it's own bank just in case a sailor doesn't. I have one, though, so shouldn't be a big issue. :)

The Navy Federal Credit Union is a good place to do business if you want a car loan or such. They have branches in most major non-US bases as well. You may be able to get into it now. Check for their website.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Brian » May 18, 2010 6:11 am

I was just checking some charts out online and, if they are up-to-date, it says my rating has a reenlistment bonus of up to $75,000. :shock:
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby z8000783 » May 18, 2010 7:37 am

Sounds like you have signed up to a great career, make sure you enjoy every moment of it.

Many Americans never leave their country, so you are going to be privileged to meet people from all over the world.

Just think, you may even get a chance to serve on the USS Enterprise, how cool would that be?

Congratulations.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Weaver » May 18, 2010 12:07 pm

1st, on the bank account thing - yes, you need a bank account with direct deposit. Make sure you bring a few deposit slips with you on your person when you go in - you'll need the bank routing number the very first day, and if you don't have it you may be pressured into a shitty bank deal (the Army does this crap all the time).

Brian wrote:I was just checking some charts out online and, if they are up-to-date, it says my rating has a reenlistment bonus of up to $75,000. :shock:

Re-up bonuses are highly variable through time. It also depends on what rank/grade you are when you sign up, and how many times you've re-upped before. Also, while the final number sometimes sounds big, you don't get a lump sum - it's half up front (at 28% tax rate) then the other half split into annual payments across your new enlistment timeframe. Finally, a 75K bonus would require a 6-year new contract with a very late re-up (if you re-up too early, your remaining contract time is subtracted from your new enlistment when calculating the bonus).
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Gawdzilla » May 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Brian wrote:I was just checking some charts out online and, if they are up-to-date, it says my rating has a reenlistment bonus of up to $75,000. :shock:

Based on rank at time of re-enlistment, that sounds right. Bang away at making that next pay grade. Every month you gain early on will help as you move up the ladder. Do your courses prompt and keep the course material for review at test time.

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Gawdzilla » May 18, 2010 12:53 pm

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Teshi » Jun 17, 2010 3:34 am

Good Luck!

My brother writes computery code for ships involved in navy-like activities (that's the technical language :P). He's a smart guy but if you have computery problems I can (remotely) punch him in the nose for you.
Teshi

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby robinhood » Jul 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
LarianLeQuella wrote:Congrats, even if you went with a less desirable service like the squids.

Signed,

A Zoomie. :D

My brother was in the Air Farce for 28 years. :coffee:

hey, don't make fun of us chair force people like that. lolz
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
robinhood

Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby LarianLeQuella » Jul 20, 2010 11:55 am

I recommend USAA for banking.

http://usaa.com

Services are fantastic all the way around. Insurance and banking all in one stop. They even have an iPhone app for depositing any checks you may get inthe mail.

And as a chair force member, it was rough having to stay in 5 star hotels while the grunts slept on the flightline. ;)
LarianLeQuella

Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Atheists in Foxholes