Aye aye captain!

A forum for people in the armed forces.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Aye aye captain!

#1  Postby Brian » May 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Today I officially got sworn into the US Navy. My contract says I leave for boot camp the week prior to xmas but I have been told that date is subject to change.

I chose Advanced Electronics and Computers (AECF) as my rating/job.

I may not leave until December but my belly is already feeling a little nervous :ask: :whistle:
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Aye aye captain!

#2  Postby kiki5711 » May 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Take one day at a time and don't think too much about what will happen.

I wish you the best luck from the bottom of my heart.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#3  Postby Sityl » May 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Well I'll pray for yo.... Oh wait that does absolutely nothing.

How about this, I think you're a very brave person for doing this, and even though it will have no effect on the outcome, I hope you'll come home safely.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Brian » May 06, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks to you both :cheers: :cheers:
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » May 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Good man Brian... I hope all goes well... congrats on the swearing in! :cheers:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Brian » May 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks HughMcB! I hope all goes well, too :dance:
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Gawdzilla » May 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Brian wrote:Today I officially got sworn into the US Navy. My contract says I leave for boot camp the week prior to xmas but I have been told that date is subject to change.

I chose Advanced Electronics and Computers (AECF) as my rating/job.

I may not leave until December but my belly is already feeling a little nervous :ask: :whistle:

IMMEDIATELY get a copy of the Blue Jacket's Manual. Swallow it whole. (I'm not kidding, I'm a retired MMC. (That's Chief Petty Officer, recruit.)
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Gawdzilla » May 06, 2010 11:15 pm

kiki5711 wrote:Take one day at a time and don't think too much about what will happen.

I wish you the best luck from the bottom of my heart.

Kiki is right. The mission of bootcamp is to see if you can handle pressure. They WANT you to get through boot camp. They DON'T want people that can't handle pressure.

BTW, if you don't know how to swim, learn NOW. It will make your life a whole lot easier. Also run a lot, get fit, and quit smoking if you've started.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Gawdzilla » May 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Here is the U.S. Navy's Chain of Command
Commander in Chief : Honorable Barack Obama
Secretary of Defense: Honorable Robert Gates
Secretary of the Navy: Honorable Ray Mabus
Chief of Naval Operations: Admiral Gary Roughead ,USN

Names and ranks to go with the jobs. Know them and find out the names below them.

Where are you going to Boot? Great Mistakes, IL, San Doggie, CA, or Orlando, FL?

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Brian » May 06, 2010 11:29 pm

IMMEDIATELY get a copy of the Blue Jacket's Manual. Swallow it whole. (I'm not kidding, I'm a retired MMC. (That's Chief Petty Officer, recruit.)

Thanks for this tip, just sent the order in to Amazon

Gawdzilla wrote:
Kiki is right. The mission of bootcamp is to see if you can handle pressure. They WANT you to get through boot camp. They DON'T want people that can't handle pressure.

BTW, if you don't know how to swim, learn NOW. It will make your life a whole lot easier. Also run a lot, get fit, and quit smoking if you've started.

My recruiter is requiring me to meet with him every Wednesday for PT until I leave for boot camp so he can "make sure I'm not some slouch." :mrgreen: I enjoy swimming so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for these tips! I have been scouring the internet for the past 2 months trying to adsorb as much information as I can in order to be prepared. It's nice to hear some things directly from a Navy vet

Gawdzilla wrote:
Where are you going to Boot? Great Mistakes, IL, San Doggie, CA, or Orlando, FL?

As far as I'm aware Navy boot only happens in Illinois these days. My recruiter told me the government spent a couple hundred million revamping the entire Great Lakes facility. My A school and C school will also be in Illinois -- I think I'll be there for a year in total (boot + a + c).
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Gawdzilla » May 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Brian, keep up the PT, run at least three times a week. You swim, so your upper body strength should be okay, don't let that slide. Great Mistakes was where I went to boot and A School. I started out as an Engineman, and was sent from there to some shitty little boats on a shitty BIG river. (1970). As you know where you'll got to Boot, find their web page and fill in the blanks on the Chain of Command. Then you'll only need to know your CC (Command Commander), Battalion Commander, and Regimental Commander to have the set.

And remember, keep smiling, it makes them wonder what you're up to.

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby LarianLeQuella » May 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Congrats, even if you went with a less desirable service like the squids.

Signed,

A Zoomie. :D
LarianLeQuella

Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Gawdzilla » May 17, 2010 12:46 pm

LarianLeQuella wrote:Congrats, even if you went with a less desirable service like the squids.

Signed,

My brother was in the Air Farce for 28 years. :coffee:

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Weaver » May 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Brian,

A couple things -

First and foremost, thank you for commiting to serving your country! Especially in this time of extended wars, it's a big step - I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I appreciate it.

Second, good luck to you in your venture, whether it is a single enlistment or you go career - hopefully your time in is uneventful and safe. Take advantage of the opportunities given to you, and make the most of your time while you're in (I know I for one squandered some travel opportunities that I regret now).

Finally, try to avoid drowning if your home sinks out from under you, ya' damn squid!
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Gawdzilla » May 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Weaver wrote:Finally, try to avoid drowning if your home sinks out from under you, ya' damn squid!

Sailors and pilots hate walking home from work. :nono:

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Weaver » May 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Weaver wrote:Finally, try to avoid drowning if your home sinks out from under you, ya' damn squid!

Too true!

A friend's father was both - he was a WWII pilot, and the Landing Signal Officer onboard a US aircraft carrier (I forget which one now) that was on fire after enemy attack. He was recovering aircraft while the forward part of the ship was on fire - then abandoned ship, taking his issue .45 M1911 with him over the side. He later gave it to his son, and I've shot it with him - nice bit of history. He said his father was supposed to abandon his pistol, but didn't see the sense - he was supposed to keep his shoes on to protect his feet from coral, and figured if he was THAT close to land he might need his pistol too.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Gawdzilla » May 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Weaver wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Too true!

A friend's father was both - he was a WWII pilot, and the Landing Signal Officer onboard a US aircraft carrier (I forget which one now) that was on fire after enemy attack. He was recovering aircraft while the forward part of the ship was on fire - then abandoned ship, taking his issue .45 M1911 with him over the side. He later gave it to his son, and I've shot it with him - nice bit of history. He said his father was supposed to abandon his pistol, but didn't see the sense - he was supposed to keep his shoes on to protect his feet from coral, and figured if he was THAT close to land he might need his pistol too.

The point of the shoes is that you might eventually reach land. :smug:

I would have kept the gun too. :coffee:

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Brian » May 18, 2010 1:25 am

LarianLeQuella wrote:Congrats, even if you went with a less desirable service like the squids.

Signed,

Cheers! :cheers: I have an Uncle that was Air Force and an Uncle that was USMC but I chose Navy because that's the route my pops took :smile:

Weaver wrote:Brian,

A couple things -

First and foremost, thank you for commiting to serving your country! Especially in this time of extended wars, it's a big step - I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I appreciate it.

Second, good luck to you in your venture, whether it is a single enlistment or you go career - hopefully your time in is uneventful and safe. Take advantage of the opportunities given to you, and make the most of your time while you're in (I know I for one squandered some travel opportunities that I regret now).

Finally, try to avoid drowning if your home sinks out from under you, ya' damn squid!

Thanks Weaver! I would like to make it a career but we'll see what happens. I signed a 6 year commitment instead of the usual 4 so they already have me locked up until 2016 :doh: :mrgreen:
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Weaver » May 18, 2010 1:27 am

I hope you got school-of-choice and a big bonus ...

Not like me - both times I signed up I didn't get jack shit extra.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Brian » May 18, 2010 1:31 am

No bonus for initial enlistment into AECF (I could have if I went Nuke but didn't want Nuke), however my recruiter said that when it comes time for re-enlistment I could get a sizable bonus. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I won't get my hopes up. My A-school is at Naval Station Great Lakes -- same place as my boot -- so I'll be stuck in Illinois for a couple of years.
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Atheists in Foxholes