Can the US Army embrace atheists?

Sgt Justin Griffith, HERO

A forum for people in the armed forces.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Can the US Army embrace atheists?

#1  Postby DougC » Feb 04, 2012 2:44 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16859421

"In a land of faith and flag, Justin Griffith is challenging the US military to abandon its religious ties."
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Can the US Army embrace atheists?

#2  Postby Tortured_Genius » Feb 04, 2012 9:37 am

That's a fascinating article becuase of the picture it paints of the US military. It almost sounds like a nation-state unto itself.

TBH I find that a bit weird, Not sure it's "wrong", and given the US military budget and manpower understandable (it is bigger than many countries), but to these eyes it's very, very odd.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Feb 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:That's a fascinating article becuase of the picture it paints of the US military. It almost sounds like a nation-state unto itself.

TBH I find that a bit weird, Not sure it's "wrong", and given the US military budget and manpower understandable (it is bigger than many countries), but to these eyes it's very, very odd.

Yes, weird indeed.
But then, the military will use anyone of any faith or non-faith as cannon-fodder at times of necessity... :shhh:

Edit: 'use'
Last edited by Alan B on Feb 04, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mrjonno » Feb 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Always thought it must be easier getting yourself killed if you think you are immortal but I suspect even in religious people they tend to start doubting that very fast when people starting shooting are you
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 04, 2012 2:15 pm

THERE ARE NO ATHEISTS IN THE FOXHOLES!!!

:coffee:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mrjonno » Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

MacIver wrote:THERE ARE NO ATHEISTS IN THE FOXHOLES!!!

:coffee:

Never understood that phrase to mean , to me its a positive statement about atheists
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 04, 2012 2:38 pm

I think it means that even a "so called" atheist would pray to God if his or her life was in immediate danger.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby mrjonno » Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm

I prefer the atheist wouldnt be stupid enough to get in a situation where he needed a foxhole in the first place
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aliihsanasl » Feb 04, 2012 4:01 pm

No army can embrace atheists, individuals can be atheist in the army and raise in rank but army need belief and faith to deceive masses for violence.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 04, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't really like the theme that's appearing in this thread.

Atheists can be just as idiotic as theists. And I don't believe idiocy is a requirement to serve in the military.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Clive Durdle » Feb 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Mr Griffith counts about 100 members in Fort Bragg's atheist community, which meets weekly off-base, since it is not yet recognised as a distinctive faith group by the military.

Would someone help me with this please! My brain just seized up!
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan B » Feb 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:
Mr Griffith counts about 100 members in Fort Bragg's atheist community, which meets weekly off-base, since it is not yet recognised as a distinctive faith group by the military.

Ditto! An atheist group is a faith group?? :scratch:

I would think that atheists meet to espouse rational thinking (and any perceived threat to their way of thinking) and are completely amorphous with respect to faith groups (who only meet because their faith tells them to).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Weaver » Feb 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:

The Chaplains get to determine who can use on-post facilities for anything remotely related to religion. The Bragg Chaplaincy has been on their collective asses when it comes to issuing the requisite approval to SGT Griffith's group.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Weaver » Feb 04, 2012 5:13 pm

ali_ihsan21 wrote:No army can embrace atheists, individuals can be atheist in the army and raise in rank but army need belief and faith to deceive masses for violence.

As a retired career Soldier, I completely disagree with you.

The US Army doesn't "deceive masses for violence". Faith and belief may enter into some individual's reasons for enlisting and for fighting when called, but not most.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Atheists in Foxholes