Headed off to M.E.P.S

A forum for people in the armed forces.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Headed off to M.E.P.S

#1  Postby robinhood » Jul 15, 2010 4:58 pm

well, in 2 hours I'll be off to M.E.P.S for the air force :grin: :grin: can't wait! anyone in the air force care to chime in on what it is like?
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#2  Postby purplerat » Jul 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Nothing worse than the DMV.
User avatar
purplerat
 
Posts: 12946
Male

Country: Only in America
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#3  Postby LarianLeQuella » Jul 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Well, how was it? I would think heading off to actual training would be the more exciting part. :D
User avatar
LarianLeQuella
 
Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Posts: 449
Age: 54
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#4  Postby robinhood » Jul 21, 2010 2:03 am

sorry, by "it" I was talking about the air force in general. Recruiter messed up on the paperwork so I just took the asvab and personality test and had to get sent home. They don't take any shit when it comes to your paperwork lol. Got a 77 on the asvab and so what I could gather that wasn't a bad score. It doesn't exclude me from doing anything I really wanted though :D
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#5  Postby kiore » Jul 21, 2010 2:17 am

LarianLeQuella wrote:Well, how was it? I would think heading off to actual training would be the more exciting part. :D


As the old timers say: "You'll be sorry!" :mrgreen:
Off to basic training soon eh? Well I do agree all the fun will be on the bus. Still it's kinda like smashing your head against a brick wall, it feels great when it stops. :lol: As for airforce I was only ever a passenger myself.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16362

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#6  Postby robinhood » Jul 21, 2010 2:20 am

I kind of gathered that there was a reason it is called the chair force and from what I have heard from people in the service, basic isn't all that bad.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#7  Postby kiore » Jul 21, 2010 2:25 am

robinhood wrote:I kind of gathered that there was a reason it is called the chair force and from what I have heard from people in the service, basic isn't all that bad.


Ha, that's what they tell you at first, but maybe true for airforce, as I said I flew cattleclass as a grunt :dopey: but another bow shooting poster in this thread is the real deal so listen there.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16362

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#8  Postby robinhood » Jul 21, 2010 2:36 am

yea, I checked the requirements for the airforce and it isn't bad. I have talked to people who just got out however and people who do alot of research on the topic and every last person I see says it's great so I'm not that scared. Don't mind if a drill sgt is yelling, that is what they get paid to do lol. I found out though (not through first hand experience) that if you fall asleep in the waiting room at meps, a guy from the marines will start yelling at you even if you aren't in the marines lol.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#9  Postby kiore » Jul 21, 2010 2:49 am

Don't be scared, people survive these things, don't try and intellectualize it too much either, be fit, keep your eyes open and your mouth closed, don't take it personally and you'll be fine. Something to get through that's all.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16362

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#10  Postby robinhood » Jul 21, 2010 2:55 am

well thanks. I heard somewhere that the drill instructors ask if you came all the way from your hometown just to piss them off, they like it when you say "yes". I find this a little hard to believe though. I think the person was trying to get me to do an innumerable amount of push ups however lol.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#11  Postby kiore » Jul 21, 2010 3:02 am

robinhood wrote:well thanks. I heard somewhere that the drill instructors ask if you came all the way from your hometown just to piss them off, they like it when you say "yes". I find this a little hard to believe though. I think the person was trying to get me to do an innumerable amount of push ups however lol.


Well I don't know the specifics of US drill instructors, (not being a USAsian myself) but my experience of drill instructors and physical training instructors are that they like to mess with you, and simple answers are best. You'll figure it out, don't worry, as I said it's not personal and plenty of people survive it.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16362

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#12  Postby Weaver » Jul 21, 2010 5:17 am

Don't be a smartass. They have seen it all before, and won't be amused or impressed.

There's a maxim that when in such situations (or in other semi- or very- oppressive situations) you should strive to be the "grey man" - the guy who doesn't attract any attention. Strive for excellence in trained skills, but don't try to stand out as either a brown-noser or a class clown. Wait until you get to your permanent duty station to experiment with fucking with your leadership - they will be able to give it the personal attention it deserves.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 52
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#13  Postby robinhood » Jul 21, 2010 5:41 am

alright, advice taken lol.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#14  Postby LarianLeQuella » Jul 22, 2010 11:31 am

Yeah, I did ROTC, so as a "zero" I didn't have basic or any of that.

As for the AF life, I enjoyed it tremendously. Of course, I was an aviator, so that made a difference in job satisfaction and opportunities. If you want to talk AF in general, drop me a line or a PM and I'd be glad to chat. You can even email me directly at Steve at larianlequella dot com and we can talk.
User avatar
LarianLeQuella
 
Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Posts: 449
Age: 54
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#15  Postby robinhood » Jul 22, 2010 3:12 pm

LarianLeQuella wrote:Yeah, I did ROTC, so as a "zero" I didn't have basic or any of that.

As for the AF life, I enjoyed it tremendously. Of course, I was an aviator, so that made a difference in job satisfaction and opportunities. If you want to talk AF in general, drop me a line or a PM and I'd be glad to chat. You can even email me directly at Steve at larianlequella dot com and we can talk.


o.k cool. Thanks for the help.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#16  Postby LarianLeQuella » Jul 28, 2010 8:58 pm

Hey robinhood, my email was FUBAR for a coule days. if you tried to email me, it probably got bounced so if you want to send one, it should be fixed now.
User avatar
LarianLeQuella
 
Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Posts: 449
Age: 54
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#17  Postby robinhood » Jul 28, 2010 10:06 pm

oh o.k. thanks

Don't have too many questions right now. MEPS was rescheduled to about the middle of next month :/ still kind of peeved at the recruiter but oh well.
You can't reason with the religious. Otherwise there would be no religious people- Dr. House
User avatar
robinhood
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: shawn (not vfx/pcs)
Posts: 329
Age: 28
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#18  Postby kiore » Jul 28, 2010 10:13 pm

robinhood wrote:oh o.k. thanks

Don't have too many questions right now. MEPS was rescheduled to about the middle of next month :/ still kind of peeved at the recruiter but oh well.


Don't be in a hurry it will all happen soon enough.. :mrgreen:
Spend the extra time building up your fitness and otherwise preparing yourself.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16362

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Re: Headed off to M.E.P.S

#19  Postby Erasmus » Nov 29, 2010 6:34 am

I'm sure this is too little too late but try to blend into the background and be a fly on the wall in basic. If the MTI asks "Who the fuck are you?" on the last day then you have successfully made it through without getting messed with. Once you get to tech school get off base and stay out of trouble as much as possible. Also, don't fail a PT test or you'll be out in no time. Slowly, the USAF is becoming like the other US branches that are actually in shape and have an effective PT program. Keep the number of beers you drink proportional to the number of miles you run. good luck, have fun
Eras
Erasmus
 
Name: Ty Sutherland
Posts: 3

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post


Return to Atheists in Foxholes

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest