Question about the RAF and its oath

A forum for people in the armed forces.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Question about the RAF and its oath

#1  Postby Xaeryx » May 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Okay, so I'm going to apply to join the Royal Air Force as an avionics technician (once I know I'm physically fit enough), and I'm slightly concerned about the religious nature of the Oath of Allegiance. Some people might tell me it's not a big deal, but I cannot in good conscience lie through my teeth when swearing an oath.

Is it true that I can opt for a god-free atheistic version, and if so, how easy is it to request it?
Xaeryx

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Question about the RAF and its oath

#2  Postby Weaver » May 18, 2010 2:49 pm

:coffee:
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » May 19, 2010 4:47 pm

You can always aks at at your local CIO. I wasn't given the choice, but times have changed. That was 20 years ago. I'm guessing they will have to make certain changes to accomodate other religions. Anothing thing, is pledging allegence to the Queen. Are you a monarchist?

And to be honest, if you really wanted to join, that bit shouldn't put you off.
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » May 19, 2010 4:55 pm

You need to ask to be affirmed rather than attested. When I joined RM way back in the early 80's I was affirmed. Not a problem & you'll not get any shit over it, assuming Crab Air have become civilised now ;-)
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » May 19, 2010 5:12 pm

I guess if the matelots do it, then the RAF will to.
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Count Otto Black » May 20, 2010 8:16 am

Bathynomus Giganteus wrote:Anothing thing, is pledging allegence to the Queen. Are you a monarchist?

That's irrelevant I would have thought. The Queen as Commander in Chief of the armed forces would accept the oath.
I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day. - Albert Camus -
Count Otto Black

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » May 20, 2010 8:40 am

Bathynomus Giganteus wrote:I guess if the matelots do it, then the RAF will to.

Matelots? You will smoke a turd in hell for that insult! :smile:
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » May 20, 2010 10:19 am

chairman bill wrote:
Bathynomus Giganteus wrote:I guess if the matelots do it, then the RAF will to.

Matelots? You will smoke a turd in hell for that insult! :smile:

Got ya back for the "crab air" :snooty: :mrgreen:

PER ARDVA AD ASTRA
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Weaver » May 20, 2010 10:52 am

Sounds like the RAF has pretty much the same system as the US Military - you can opt to "swear" or "affirm", the only difference in our oath is that you select which word to say in the beginning, and state or omit "so help me god" at the end.

Once, when I re-enlisted, the officer doing it apparently forgot about not coaching me to say the last bit, in spite of arrangements beforehand. So he said "so help me god" and I replied "Yeah, whatever."
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » May 20, 2010 11:30 am

Weaver wrote:Sounds like the RAF has pretty much the same system as the US Military - you can opt to "swear" or "affirm", the only difference in our oath is that you select which word to say in the beginning, and state or omit "so help me god" at the end.

Once, when I re-enlisted, the officer doing it apparently forgot about not coaching me to say the last bit, in spite of arrangements beforehand. So he said "so help me god" and I replied "Yeah, whatever."

Were you Private Joker to his Gunnery Sgt Hartman? :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYxEIyNA_mk[/youtube]

Here's me, a long time ago. The Merkins gave me a green school bus to play with. Broom Broom, beep beep. :grin:
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Weaver » May 20, 2010 3:36 pm

No, I was a Sergeant, he was a Lieutenant - and he was much too busy learning from me to try to hassle me with Basic Training bullshit. Besides, if he'd just paid attention when I trained him in his task, I wouldn't have had to say anything. ;)
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » May 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Weaver wrote:No, I was a Sergeant, he was a Lieutenant - and he was much too busy learning from me to try to hassle me with Basic Training bullshit. Besides, if he'd just paid attention when I trained him in his task, I wouldn't have had to say anything. ;)

Ah, that's where the British and US military differ. A British officer would never learn anything from an NCO. They already learnt everything in their relevent training academy. :nono: :roll:

(That was sarcasm aimed at British officers btw :mrgreen: )
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby pensioner » May 20, 2010 4:38 pm

chairman bill wrote:You need to ask to be affirmed rather than attested. When I joined RM way back in the early 80's I was affirmed. Not a problem & you'll not get any shit over it, assuming Crab Air have become civilised now ;-)

You joined them fucking wankers did you Bill. :coffee: :smoke: :o
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby pensioner » May 20, 2010 4:40 pm

chairman bill wrote:You need to ask to be affirmed rather than attested. When I joined RM way back in the early 80's I was affirmed. Not a problem & you'll not get any shit over it, assuming Crab Air have become civilised now ;-)

You joined them fucking wankers did you Bill. :coffee: :smoke: :o
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Xaeryx » May 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm fine with pledging allegiance to the Queen, so I'll probably ask the guys at the careers office on my next visit. Anyway I guess I'll cross this particular bridge when I come to it. :thumbup:
Xaeryx

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Brian » May 21, 2010 5:32 am

Weaver wrote:Sounds like the RAF has pretty much the same system as the US Military - you can opt to "swear" or "affirm", the only difference in our oath is that you select which word to say in the beginning, and state or omit "so help me god" at the end.

Yep. When I swore in a couple of weeks ago I was told that I could omit the last line. I was so nervous that I ended up saying it without thinking, though. Woops! :lol:
Brian

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Atheists in Foxholes