2019-nCoV or COVID-19

Serious discussion of the novel Corona Virus outbreak.

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: 2019-nCoV or COVID-19

#781  Postby Alan B » Aug 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Derived from: ECDC
Total Cases (10th August)
Eire 26,712
UK 310,825
Total Deaths
Eire 1,772
UK 46,574
Cases (24hrs)
Eire 68
UK 1,062
Deaths (24hrs)
Eire 0
UK 8
Cases per Death
Eire 15.07
UK 6.67
Pop. per Case
Eire 185
UK 218
Pop. per Death
Eire 2,787
UK 1,485
Population
Eire 4,937,786
UK 67,886,011
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#782  Postby NineBerry » Aug 13, 2020 11:55 am

Super interesting article about what we can learn about Covid-19 from the common cold viruses:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7920308629
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#783  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 13, 2020 6:38 pm

After a full day debating the resurging COVID crisis in our country, the opposition demanded a head-count vote on increased wages for medical staff.
Prompting members of the coalition to literally run out of the House of Representatives.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#784  Postby Svartalf » Aug 13, 2020 7:00 pm

lol, excellent way to ensure better folk will occupy their seats come next election
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#785  Postby Macdoc » Aug 18, 2020 3:29 am

Very promising

Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response
By James Gallagher
Health and science correspondent
20 July 2020

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and triggers an immune response.
Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus.
The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.
The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.
How does the vaccine work?
The vaccine - called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 - is being developed at unprecedented speed.
It is made from a genetically engineered virus that causes the common cold in chimpanzees.
It has been heavily modified, first so it cannot cause infections in people and also to make it "look" more like coronavirus.
Scientists did this by transferring the genetic instructions for the coronavirus's "spike protein" - the crucial tool it uses to invade our cells - to the vaccine they were developing.
This means the vaccine resembles the coronavirus and the immune system can learn how to attack it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#786  Postby Macdoc » Sep 11, 2020 12:11 am

ugh

Coronavirus: France sets daily record with almost 10,000 new cases
Published4 hours ago

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54111209
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#787  Postby felltoearth » Sep 13, 2020 4:41 pm

Another great video, well worth a 30 minute watch. If you are unfamiliar, Peter Hadfield (aka Potholer54) is a British freelance journalist, geologist, and author.
Within he fact-checks the WHO’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, namely:

•What WHO knew and when
•What WHO said and when
•The Taiwan debacle
•The “masks don’t work” misinformation

Also talks about how WHO is organized and their international diplomatic framework which has a history longer than their existence (my editorializing.)

At the end Potholer54 gives his own criticism of the WHO and improvements that could be made.

In case you’re wondering what good journalism is, especially when it comes to science reporting, Peter Hadfield sets a very good bar. Note that all his sources a listed in the doobly-doo.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#788  Postby Thommo » Sep 13, 2020 6:29 pm

I'm quite curious about what he says at the 8:50 mark, where he describes the comment "...it's very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission" as completely accurate based on the data available. It's no such thing, there was a lack of evidence not evidence of a lack.
Thommo

Print view this post

#789  Postby felltoearth » Sep 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Thommo wrote:I'm quite curious about what he says at the 8:50 mark, where he describes the comment "...it's very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission" as completely accurate based on the data available. It's no such thing, there was a lack of evidence not evidence of a lack.

I think he clarifies that later in video but I’d have to go back and check.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#790  Postby Thommo » Sep 13, 2020 7:28 pm

Fair enough, I'll see if I can find it.
Thommo

Print view this post

#791  Postby felltoearth » Sep 14, 2020 12:32 am

Thommo wrote:I'm quite curious about what he says at the 8:50 mark, where he describes the comment "...it's very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission" as completely accurate based on the data available. It's no such thing, there was a lack of evidence not evidence of a lack.

It is a confusing statement, however the point being made was that there was confusion around how this statement was communicated and the claim that the WHO did not report or denied human to human spread. At that time, what was known was that there was limited spread and it is likely respiratory. The newspapers picked up the correct message and reported it properly.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#792  Postby Thommo » Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am

Since this isn't about the medical side of covid I've replied here:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2759023
Thommo

Print view this post

#793  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Despite rising case numbers and new emergency measures for the largest cities, our government has decided children may attend elementary school even if they have flu symptoms, without testing. This to prevent them from missing classes and reduce the number of people needing tests. :picard:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#794  Postby Mike_L » Sep 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Surprise discovery: Joint Russian/American Covid-19 research leads instead to breakthrough in children’s cancer treatment

By Matthew Clayton
22 Sep, 2020

In a combined effort between Russian and US scientists, a new anti-cancer substance has been discovered that could help in the fight against neuroblastomas. The disease is the most common form of cancer in babies.
Funded by grants from both nations, researchers at the North Caucasus Federal University (NCFU) in Stavropol and at Texas State University stumbled upon the compound while testing for potential Covid-19 treatments. Rather than detecting anti-coronavirus properties, scientists were instead surprised to find a much different use for the substance in combating neuroblastomas.

“The researchers described the synthesis of a substance which will help humankind to fight neuroblastoma, one of the most dangerous types of cancer,” the NCFU press service told news agency TASS on Tuesday. “Initially, the chemists were trying to obtain the compounds to fight Covid-19; however, the anti-cancer activity of these substances turned out to be much higher.”

Full text at:
https://www.rt.com/russia/501379-cancer-joint-russian-american-research/
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#795  Postby Svartalf » Sep 22, 2020 4:40 pm

You know, given the circumstances and focus of the research, I'd have to wonder, even if such a fantasy as a Russian/American medical research team existed, how in the bottommost of the nine hells they would have noticed anything's cancer fighting properties, expecially in children, given how few of those are severely affected by covid.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#796  Postby Mike_L » Sep 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Svartalf wrote:You know, given the circumstances and focus of the research, I'd have to wonder, even if such a fantasy as a Russian/American medical research team existed...

You mean, similar to the fantasy of joint US-Russian space endeavors? Oh, wait! :facepalm:

Fantasy screenshot of fantasy journal abstract at fantasy webpage...

screencap_jrnl.jpg
screencap_jrnl.jpg (199.49 KiB) Viewed 117 times

:roll:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Medicine