2019-nCoV or COVID-19

Serious discussion of the novel Corona Virus outbreak.

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 2019-nCoV or COVID-19

#841  Postby hackenslash » Oct 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Any degree of immunosuppression is highly likely to impact humoral immunity, I suspect, though that doesn't necessarily rule out good immunity, because of the memory function of b- and t-lymphocytes.

I think I've seen this covered as a control in a study lately, but I'd have to dig a bit, because I've read a lot of studies.

Also well outside my wheelhouse, by no means an expert. Others here are much better placed.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#842  Postby kiore » Oct 11, 2021 2:17 am

Stagman wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
I'm a happy recipient of two doses of Moderna, four months down the line from my second. I don't post much any more, but I'm as hale and hearty (and dour) as I was before "the dose".

Out of curiosity, do you know if your antibody levels are sufficient? I am 5 months after my second Moderna dose, yet the IgG SARS-CoV-2 antibodies have since subsided to below what is accepted as sufficient. I might add I am immune suppressed.

Ab's are not the entire immune system, but I think it now fairly well recognized that some groups should have a 3rd dose of the MRNA vaccines. The Moderna (Spikevax) vaccine tends to have more persistence than the competition, whether this due to its higher base dose or the 2nd dose spacing or both or something else.. If you are already after only 5 months showing low levels of Abs, (by the way I am yet to be convinced that it totally clear what the needed levels are) then you should seek advice regarding getting a 3rd dose in your location.
Moderna is seeking approval in the USA for a reduced dose for the 3rd dose (50mcg), but here those at high risk have been received 3rd doses at the same 100mcg dose at the initial rounds.
I recently was offered and received my 3rd dose of Moderna 100mcg after 8 months due to being in a high risk group with no history of native infection and was happy to get it. In other places 3rd doses are starting to happen for some groups and even as a mix and match with 2 different vaccine types. It remains to be seen whether mixing types or continuing course prove better long-term.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#843  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Stagman wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
I'm a happy recipient of two doses of Moderna, four months down the line from my second. I don't post much any more, but I'm as hale and hearty (and dour) as I was before "the dose".

Out of curiosity, do you know if your antibody levels are sufficient? I am 5 months after my second Moderna dose, yet the IgG SARS-CoV-2 antibodies have since subsided to below what is accepted as sufficient. I might add I am immune suppressed.

I've not checked my Ab levels. I don't want to be told I have killer Abs.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#844  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 11, 2021 3:45 pm

I'm also a Moderna man. I'll be there for that third jab as soon as its available. If I have to take it in the eye, I'll be there.

Primus and Tertius are Pfizer men.

We'd rather have more of our science before we may need it instead of when we're looking death in the face.

The Metatrix reported her parent both got their Moderna boosters this morning. I am heartened to see this rolling out. Also, Merck has a 50% effective treatment in the pipe. More windows are opening, I think.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#845  Postby BlackBart » Oct 11, 2021 4:50 pm

Got my Pfizer booster on Saturday. Spent Sunday sulking under a blanket in front of the TV again. Right as ninepence now.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#846  Postby The_Piper » Oct 11, 2021 5:03 pm

I got the J&J. It was the right choice at the time because I wanted to get vaccinated asap and it was the first one made available to me. I hope I can either get a booster or start on one of the mrna's.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#847  Postby aban57 » Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am

I have a stupid question for the scientists out there.
One of the disinformation messages out there claims that the vaccines change our DNA. That's obvious bullshit, but it got me thinking about the spanish flu, and how exposition to a virus helps immune systems learn to defend themselves, and future generations, better to similar ones. So how is this "knowledge" passed down ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#848  Postby hackenslash » Oct 17, 2021 3:13 pm

T and B lymphocytes have memory components, loosely speaking. This is properly epigenetic.

Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_B_cell
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#849  Postby aban57 » Oct 17, 2021 4:21 pm

hackenslash wrote:T and B lymphocytes have memory components, loosely speaking. This is properly epigenetic.

Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_B_cell

Thanks !
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#851  Postby Alan C » Nov 29, 2021 10:34 pm

I recall hearing that, in order for a modified vaccine for omicron to made available to stick in someone's arm this would take 100 days. I'm thinking about the initial legwork that was done figuring out the the virus spikes [including a hefty amount of distributed computing]. I haven't had my computer running lately and I was wondering if any similar efforts are needed for this new variant, whether or not to fire up folding@home again.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Medicine