Alcohol Induced Psychosis

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Alcohol-Induced Psychosis can be differentiated from schizophrenia by clinical method which can be difficult. It is generally acknowledged that alcohol-induced psychosis discontinues with abstinence unlike schizophrenia. However, it can become more confusing when persistent psychosis progresses. Comorbid psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder may also exist.


https://www.psychologynoteshq.com/alcohol-induced-psychosis/

I'm somewhat embarrassed to start a thread in this subforum which is so blatantly primarily about my current predicament but hopefully it can be viewed as being illustrative of the wider phenomenon.

In the following paragraph I am not boasting; before anybody says it. Just illustrating the scale of the problem.

All of my recent (roughly since new year) incidences of the police being called on me (total around 60 officers I would guess); being arrested and tortured overnight in a sensory deprivation holding cell (twice - first court appointment in a couple of weeks); being assaulted (6 times and a further 4 or so I managed to defuse) and my intimidating of the local private hospital (twice); hairdressers (3 times); Chinese takeway (3 times); mental healthcare facility (twice) and GCHQ (twice - well; not really possible to intimidate them but stood there anyway - mostly had a laugh with the special law there actually - til I tried to actually walk in that is) occurred when I was very drunk.

Recently I have also noticed some similarities with my schizophrenic psychosis of the past when very drunk - in fact the similarity is uncanny. I remember shouting out "I'm the most precious weapon on the planet!" and believing I was talking to the Chinese government by talking at my laptop, for example...you get the idea. When I sober up though all is good, sane and well...for now.

I wonder whether this alcohol induced psychosis could be an indicator of a pending full blown relapse...I tried to make an appointment to discuss my concerns yesterday when I first properly realised the nature of the problem but they refused to give me an appointment because the mental health staff familiar with me are "on leave until Thursday". Jesus.

All I can do for now is just make sure I stay away from the sauce I guess :dunno: at least it'll be a good defence at the coming court hearings. Thoughts?
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#2  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm

"Sensory deprivation holding cell"?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 23648

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#3  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

My first thought is relief, frankly, that you acknowledge something might not be right.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46355
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Thommo wrote:"Sensory deprivation holding cell"?


No music;literature;tv;pictures;colour;internet;company;clock;view;cigarettes;furniture;toilet paper...you have to ask them to bring water and they take their jolly time before bringing one tiny cup...the list goes on. It's against European Human rights but we pretty much do what the fuck we like in the UK I guess :dunno:
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#5  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm

That's not sensory deprivation, and I am pretty sure it's not a violation of ECHR. That's just a holding cell.

I'm also concerned that hearing your side of being assaulted 6 times may not be the whole truth either.

Look, I think you need help, but honestly this sounds like an attempt to make an excuse for your antisocial behaviour instead of facing up to the consequences.

I mean it's absolutely clear that you need to stop drinking, but that's been clear a long time, and whilst it would obviously be great for your life if you could do that, it's equally clear you're absolutely not going to. I think that's a great shame for you and a great shame for the victims of your antisocial behaviour.

From my (limited) knowledge of the magistrates courts, I'd suggest contrition rather than excuses and blame-shifting when you're before the bench. Hopefully your solicitor will give you the correct advice about how to behave.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 23648

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#6  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 10, 2018 5:05 pm

The alcohol appears to trigger the psychosis which makes it the symptom not the cause. So you should be discussing this with the mental health staff. You also need to reign in all the anti social bollocks because not only is it getting you in trouble with the police but it is stopping the staff from actually treating you. If you had regular sex with your on off girlfriend that would be a positive way of releasing all this excessive energy you appear to possess. Far better than getting into fights all the time
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 9306

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Fallible wrote:My first thought is relief, frankly, that you acknowledge something might not be right.


My first time arrested for putting a rock through that front door...can't remember when that was...September was it? Circa 3 months off the antipsychotics? Wish the search function worked...I begged to be taken to the mental hospital from the holding cell but they refused so I just gave up on that for subsequent incidences and I guess decided it was just the alcohol causing my problems although I drank the same amount amount for the 5 years on antipsychotics with no troubles at all....what a fool I am to have not analysed/diagnosed this sooner...comorbid innit :doh:
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Thommo wrote:
I'm also concerned that hearing your side of being assaulted 6 times may not be the whole truth either.


I say/do non-violent stupid cocky shit when very drunk these days and in response get assaulted often. That is the whole truth and you have no reason to doubt my word. I never go looking for violence, no matter how drunk/psychotic I am. Never have.
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:If you had regular sex with your on off girlfriend that would be a positive way of releasing all this excessive energy you appear to possess.


Seriously sur; wind your neck in.
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#10  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:My first thought is relief, frankly, that you acknowledge something might not be right.


My first time arrested for putting a rock through that front door...can't remember when that was...September was it? Circa 3 months off the antipsychotics? Wish the search function worked...I begged to be taken to the mental hospital from the holding cell but they refused so I just gave up on that for subsequent incidences and I guess decided it was just the alcohol causing my problems although I drank the same amount amount for the 5 years on antipsychotics with no troubles at all....what a fool I am to have not analysed/diagnosed this sooner...comorbid innit :doh:


You're not a fool at all, you just haven't been very well. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't call someone else a fool for not being very well.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46355
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#11  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Incidentally, I've spent some time in a few custody suites and my understanding is that DPs are assessed for mental health issues upon detention. Weren't you?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46355
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#12  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 10, 2018 5:43 pm

You are not supposed to drink with many types of medication never mind anti psychotics for five years so this is very reckless
You say your problems began after you came off them but only because you replaced them with alcohol. Do you not think you would be better without alcohol altogether. Have you ever been free of both alcohol and anti psychotics or is it simply not an option in your case. Do the mental health staff ever suggest meditation or mindfulness as an alternative or as complementary treatment with medication. They should not refuse to help when you are psychotic because that is when you most need them
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 9306

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:My first thought is relief, frankly, that you acknowledge something might not be right.


My first time arrested for putting a rock through that front door...can't remember when that was...September was it? Circa 3 months off the antipsychotics? Wish the search function worked...I begged to be taken to the mental hospital from the holding cell but they refused so I just gave up on that for subsequent incidences and I guess decided it was just the alcohol causing my problems although I drank the same amount amount for the 5 years on antipsychotics with no troubles at all....what a fool I am to have not analysed/diagnosed this sooner...comorbid innit :doh:


You're not a fool at all, you just haven't been very well. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't call someone else a fool for not being very well.


Thanks for the kind words fal. TBH I'm not sure my not being well since coming off the antipsychotics (when very drunk) is to blame for all the carnage...I mean have I heard the words "comorbid alcohol induced psychosis" mentioned or even alluded to by any of the plethora of mental health professionals I've interacted with, many for long periods on multiple occasions? Fucking no - I had to find out the truth for myself the hard way. :roll:
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Fallible wrote:Incidentally, I've spent some time in a few custody suites and my understanding is that DPs are assessed for mental health issues upon detention. Weren't you?


First arrest (September 2017?) I said I was schizophrenic and was interviewed but judged to be sane (not upon first arriving - oh no - once I'd sobered up). Subsequent arrests - I was asked when arriving "do you suffer from any mental illness?" and I said "no", as that's what I'd been told by the mental health pros once discharged after the first arrest when they were swarming all over me and that was that - they just thought I was drunk :dunno:
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#15  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:
I'm also concerned that hearing your side of being assaulted 6 times may not be the whole truth either.


I say/do non-violent stupid cocky shit when very drunk these days and in response get assaulted often. That is the whole truth and you have no reason to doubt my word.


Do you really believe that your word is beyond doubt?

You're replying to a post in which I quoted you claiming that you were held in sensory deprivation, when you weren't, and that this was done illegally, which it wasn't.

I don't want to get on your case, because I don't believe that will help, but you really need a bit of honest self-reflection about your own control over these situations and the excuses you produce to explain that away. You can't admit to deliberately terrorising people and asking whether you should assault someone because a girl asked you to and then claim your behaviour isn't a factor here.

Everyone always has excuses, and I'll freely admit it should not matter to you or anyone, whether I say "enough excuses", but when you're up in court this time, or next time, someone else is going to tell you enough already and they will have the authority to make it stick. I genuinely think this change is something that would be better coming from yourself before it's too late. I don't want you to hurt yourself (or others) and that's what you're doing.

Anyway, I'll give it a rest, because I doubt a lecture from me is going to improve things. Best of luck, I really hope you'll try to face up with this, hopefully with the help of someone with professional expertise.
Last edited by Thommo on Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 23648

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#16  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 6:08 pm

I didn't say my word was beyond doubt; I said you had no reason to doubt my word...actually I can't be arsed to address the rest of your post it's so full of condescension and lies and I'm fuming frankly right now and haven't got the patience.
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#17  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:Incidentally, I've spent some time in a few custody suites and my understanding is that DPs are assessed for mental health issues upon detention. Weren't you?


First arrest (September 2017?) I said I was schizophrenic and was interviewed but judged to be sane (not upon first arriving - oh no - once I'd sobered up). Subsequent arrests - I was asked when arriving "do you suffer from any mental illness?" and I said "no", as that's what I'd been told by the mental health pros once discharged after the first arrest when they were swarming all over me and that was that - they just thought I was drunk :dunno:


I think we're back at the same issue here with the cured/sane thing. I know your thoughts, but I think it would have been better to answer 'yes'. You have suffered from schizophrenia, and what you are saying is that you were in psychosis when they picked you up. It's hard though. Those places are the most soul destroying places I've ever been, and one of the hardest parts to come to terms with I found about being there was that the busies are not there to look after you. I've witnessed them taking the piss out of mentally ill people in the cells. The best thing all round is for you to avoid contact with them, which means not getting yourself into these predicaments in the first place.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46355
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#18  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I didn't say my word was beyond doubt; I said you had no reason to doubt my word...actually I can't be arsed to address the rest of your post it's so full of condescension and lies and I'm fuming frankly right now and haven't got the patience.


I'm sorry you feel that way, it was genuinely offered as earnest advice. I'd offer to correct any lies, but I re-read my post five times and couldn't find one, sorry.

I think saying that I have no reason to doubt your word as opposed to saying your word is beyond doubt is a distinction without a difference. In either case I'm saying that you've given reasons to doubt your word (beyond those that always apply to every story where you only hear one side). Every altercation has two sides and that applies every bit as much to me as it does to anyone else.
Last edited by Thommo on Feb 10, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 23648

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 6:21 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:You are not supposed to drink with many types of medication never mind anti psychotics for five years so this is very reckless

Meh; never caused a problem drinking on antipsychotics.

You say your problems began after you came off them but only because you replaced them with alcohol.

I was drinking just as much on the antipsychotics.

Do you not think you would be better without alcohol altogether.

I do now that I know alcohol induced psychosis is comorbid with schizophrenia, pretty much.

Have you ever been free of both alcohol and anti psychotics or is it simply not an option in your case.

I have £12 in my wallet and it's 18:00 but mutant lions from Hades couldn't drive me down the offy tonight.

Do the mental health staff ever suggest meditation or mindfulness as an alternative or as complementary treatment with medication.

No.

They should not refuse to help when you are psychotic because that is when you most need them

I'm not psychotic now because I'm sober. I need them now because I need letters from them for the court hearing.
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:They should not refuse to help when you are psychotic because that is when you most need them

I'm not psychotic now because I'm sober. I need them now because I need letters from them for the court hearing.


I worry this may prove extremely difficult because I'm going to make them seem so incompetent/negligent when I explain to them that they should have told me about dormant schizophrenia's comorbidity with alcohol induced psychosis that they might be...erm...unprofessional. :hide:
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6144
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest