Approach and withdraw tendencies caused by cerebral asymetry

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Approach and withdraw tendencies caused by cerebral asymetry

#1  Postby ogger » Aug 13, 2019 2:27 am

There is this expression at the textbook I study:

"Studies find that left hemisphere activity is related to movement toward the source of the emotion whereas right hemisphere activity is related to movement away. Thus, higher right hemisphere activity is associated with sadness because depression is essentially an effort to withdraw from whatever is causing the emotion. Higher left hemisphere activity is associated with joy because happiness draws us toward the source of the emotion."

I couldn't understand concept of moving and staying away from the source of emotion. Does it mean that people with higher right cerebral hemisphere activity tend to stay away from being happy? And why sadness is associated with right hemisphere because depression is an effort to withdraw from whatever is causing the emotion? And what is meant by saying emotion here, do we consider all emotions?

I got confused here and I think what author wants to express is not clear. If you have any knowledge about topic would you share?
ogger

Name: Ogger

Wallis and Futuna (wf)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Approach and withdraw tendencies caused by cerebral asymetry

#2  Postby aufbahrung » Aug 13, 2019 3:51 am

If you are left handed it is the other way around for sure. Or perhaps not?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... -neuromyth
They're always out there. Never forget.
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 3:53 am

There is a lot of rubbish written about the lateralization of brain function. The book you're reading appears to be infected by some of it. Easy to use antidote here.

You mentioned three books in the six posts you made so far, and all of them are a bit on the nose in one way or another. If they were recommended by some individual or school, I suggest you steer clear of them in future and find help from someone with a more rigorously scientific approach to the issues you're trying to learn about.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 13, 2019 5:06 am

ogger wrote:
I couldn't understand concept of moving and staying away from the source of emotion. Does it mean that people with higher right cerebral hemisphere activity tend to stay away from being happy? And why sadness is associated with right hemisphere because depression is an effort to withdraw from whatever is causing the emotion? And what is meant by saying emotion here, do we consider all emotions?

I'm assuming it meant anything that causes emotion. If something is a source of a negative emotion for you, you'll try to avoid it. If something is a source of a positive emotion for you, you'll feel like getting closer to it. Seems straightforward, if not kinda trivial.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Aug 13, 2019 5:07 am

"asymetry" is bugging the hell out of me.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 5:16 am

Thommo wrote:"asymetry" is bugging the hell out of me.

Is it the missing "m" that's knocking your mind off balance?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Aug 13, 2019 5:58 am

That, or the insomnia. Sometimes it's hard to tell.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby aufbahrung » Aug 13, 2019 6:01 am

You can't measure assymetry. Better to go by bumps. I always measure my bumps to see if there's any change when I wake up. Can't go far wrong with bumps. Or can you?
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thommo » Aug 13, 2019 6:09 am

aufbahrung wrote:assymetry

That might actually be worse.

(also you totally can measure asymmetry, there are numerous technical measures expressing exactly that which show up if you go to the extreme length of googling "measures of asymmetry")
Thommo

Print view this post

#10  Postby aufbahrung » Aug 13, 2019 6:22 am

Thommo wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:assymetry

That might actually be worse.

(also you totally can measure asymmetry, there are numerous technical measures expressing exactly that which show up if you go to the extreme length of googling "measures of asymmetry")

See, bumps again. Can't go far wrong with bumps as a explantion for behaviour.

Electron microscopes are cheaper than ever on ebay. I've ordered two dozen only last week...
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » Aug 13, 2019 6:25 am

There was literally nothing about bumps in the post you're replying to.
Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 6:39 am

Thommo wrote:That, or the insomnia. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

did_you_mean_insommnia.png
did_you_mean_insommnia.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 104 times

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Aug 13, 2019 7:10 am

I need a Victor Meldrew emote.
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 7:19 am

Thommo wrote:I need a Victor Meldrew emote.

Shrink this and get someone to add it to the smilies list.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby ogger » Aug 14, 2019 1:34 am

Hermit wrote:
Thommo wrote:"asymetry" is bugging the hell out of me.

Is it the missing "m" that's knocking your mind off balance?

Title length was limited, had to knock off one :grin:
ogger

Wallis and Futuna (wf)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby ogger » Aug 14, 2019 1:55 am

Hermit wrote:There is a lot of rubbish written about the lateralization of brain function. The book you're reading appears to be infected by some of it. Easy to use antidote here.

You mentioned three books in the six posts you made so far, and all of them are a bit on the nose in one way or another. If they were recommended by some individual or school, I suggest you steer clear of them in future and find help from someone with a more rigorously scientific approach to the issues you're trying to learn about.

Seems like everyone got the question wrong here. Asymmetry mentioned here is not "right brained- left brained" "one side is creative-other is good with math stuff". It is about activity of hemispheres and its correlation with positive and negative emotions and set of behavior. There are a quite number of research done to support this, which I can give links to papers in request. But basically it is found that more activity at one part causes some emotions to be more significant(it can sustained throughout individuals life period) and leads to certain behavior patterns like staying with your mom rather than going and playing with other kids etc.

But the research I mentioned is here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 3911402392

A quote from paper to give you the idea:
"Jansari, Tranel, and Adolphs (2000) presented participants with pairs of faces, and asked them to determine which face was happy or sad. Consistent with left-hemisphere lateralization of approach motivation, participants were better able to discriminate “happy” faces when they appeared in the right visual field (projects to the left hemisphere), whereas they made more efficient “sad” discriminations for faces falling in the left visual field (projects to the right hemisphere)"

But the paper is a bit heavy for me now, and I couldn't get the idea of "approach" and "avoidance".

And I made three posts so far including this, one was about academia so it shouldn't be count as psychology and neuroscience question. And I mentioned just one book so far. Is it possible that I am confused with someone else :scratch:
ogger

Wallis and Futuna (wf)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Hermit » Aug 14, 2019 3:07 am

ogger wrote:And I made three posts so far including this, one was about academia so it shouldn't be count as psychology and neuroscience question. And I mentioned just one book so far. Is it possible that I am confused with someone else :scratch:

Three posts in this thread. My reference was to three of your six posts you had made by the time I posted.

ogger wrote:Yes, you are right. I read the modified version. It seems I need to change my textbook.

ogger wrote:
Hermit wrote:Care to tell us your textbook's title and author(s)? If you usually encounter Freudian or Neo-Freudian ideas in it you probably got the wrong one.

The textbook I use is: Personality by Jerry M. Burger. This is the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Personality-Jerr ... nskepti-20

ogger wrote:There is this expression at the textbook I study: ...

Looks like three texts to me. Only one was cited, and that only after some prompting. Personally I think it's a good idea to at least provide a link to texts one is basing one's learning on, but maybe that's just me. The reason for that is that others can check it out and comment on your source.

The author of the one you did finish up providing information on, for example, was a professor of Psychology at Santa Clara University for 34 years until his retirement last year. He was well respected and much published, but Santa Clara University was founded by the Jesuits and is still operated by them today. All bachelor degrees it confers require three religious studies courses as part of the academic core, so it wouldn't surprise me if there turned out to be a religiously inspired angle underlying his work and teachings.

This got me wondering if your other sources are of similar bent, and part of the reason why I wrote
Hermit wrote:You mentioned three books in the six posts you made so far, and all of them are a bit on the nose in one way or another. If they were recommended by some individual or school, I suggest you steer clear of them in future and find help from someone with a more rigorously scientific approach to the issues you're trying to learn about.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby ogger » Aug 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Hermit wrote:
ogger wrote:And I made three posts so far including this, one was about academia so it shouldn't be count as psychology and neuroscience question. And I mentioned just one book so far. Is it possible that I am confused with someone else :scratch:

Three posts in this thread. My reference was to three of your six posts you had made by the time I posted.

ogger wrote:Yes, you are right. I read the modified version. It seems I need to change my textbook.

ogger wrote:
Hermit wrote:Care to tell us your textbook's title and author(s)? If you usually encounter Freudian or Neo-Freudian ideas in it you probably got the wrong one.

The textbook I use is: Personality by Jerry M. Burger. This is the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Personality-Jerr ... nskepti-20

ogger wrote:There is this expression at the textbook I study: ...

Looks like three texts to me. Only one was cited, and that only after some prompting. Personally I think it's a good idea to at least provide a link to texts one is basing one's learning on, but maybe that's just me. The reason for that is that others can check it out and comment on your source.

The author of the one you did finish up providing information on, for example, was a professor of Psychology at Santa Clara University for 34 years until his retirement last year. He was well respected and much published, but Santa Clara University was founded by the Jesuits and is still operated by them today. All bachelor degrees it confers require three religious studies courses as part of the academic core, so it wouldn't surprise me if there turned out to be a religiously inspired angle underlying his work and teachings.

This got me wondering if your other sources are of similar bent, and part of the reason why I wrote
Hermit wrote:You mentioned three books in the six posts you made so far, and all of them are a bit on the nose in one way or another. If they were recommended by some individual or school, I suggest you steer clear of them in future and find help from someone with a more rigorously scientific approach to the issues you're trying to learn about.

Thank you for clarification, I'm still using the same book. There had an introduction to Freudian and neo-Freudian theories, but it was more like an historical perspective. It is emphasized that they have no scientific base, no empirical study and can be highly biased. I gave that just as an example at my post.

I will change my textbook, but its already about to be finished. If I first consulted you, I would definitely be started with a different textbook. But still it is a textbook, there are some outdated researches in it but I guess that is something that can happen to every textbook. Otherwise it is based on scientific research and studies. I haven't encountered with any religious themes. Just when talking about Freudian and neo-Freudian theorists, it included their thoughts on it. Such as "Freud called religion a type of collective wish fulfillment.". It was highly objective.

And would you have any comments on my original question?
ogger

Wallis and Futuna (wf)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Hermit » Aug 14, 2019 9:44 pm

ogger wrote:And would you have any comments on my original question?

Frankly, having read the quote from Burger's book that you provided in your opening post, I could not be bothered to delve any further into his opus. It is junk science. So, my only reaction was - and will remain - to provide three links concerning the left brain - right brain issue in post #3 of this thread. I suggest you follow up on them.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 4:51 am

ogger wrote:
I couldn't understand concept of moving and staying away from the source of emotion.

I would suggest that's because the concept is nebulous and you're rightly confused about it. Being rightly confused is basically equivalent to skepticism, and I think that's healthy.

I'd suggest looking into peer review to see how other professionals in the field consider this idea and whether they find it any less 'confusing'.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience