Devra Davis

Mobile phones and wireless radiation

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Devra Davis

#1  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 22, 2020 5:14 am

I'm not sure what to believe with this. Nothing on Snopes about Devra Davis.

I don't want to believe this stuff. But if it's true, what is the fact? Either the developers of these technologies are incompetent to test things properly, or they don't really care about the science and just want the money (basically the same thing as incompetence, but borderline conspiracy?)
I recently saw Thunderf00ts video on debunking the Zorb. But I think that's a slightly different issue then these pulses from phones, not the heat itself? Even though it is still radio waves? This is confusing - because if she's wrong about all of this, how is the video still on that channel? I'd like Thunderf00t to watch this one & debunk as need-be, if at all.

And yes, I did some digging... One site says she's 'unaccredited':
https://theconversation.com/mobile-phon ... ents-64739

The three letters were written by five individuals, three of whom are affiliated with a non-accredited Environmental Health Trust (EHT), headed by Dr Devra Davis, the alarmist doomsayer who featured in the much-criticised ABC Catalyst program which has now been withdrawn.

See how he twisted the thing? Even wiki says she has more papers that just 1 place, EHT.

Education
University of Pittsburgh (BS, MA)
University of Chicago (PhD)
Johns Hopkins University (MPH)

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devra_Davis
- Google

What is an 'alarmist doomsayer' btw? She's not saying the world is ending. She says the effects are yet unknown (as it takes time for things to be properly developed & tested) - but is it scary?

Also, through experiment time - If someone like J. Epstein developed a mobile device, would you trust it?

Also to clarify, this is not about Covid-19 / 5G, imo.

Some text from the video description:

The Lecture
What are the health effects of mobile phones and wireless radiation? While Australia has led the world in safety standards, including compulsory seat-belt legislation, plain packaging on cigarettes, and product and food disclosure legislation, it falls behind in addressing the significant issues associated with mobile phone use. In this Dean’s Lecture, epidemiologist and electromagnetic radiation expert, Dr Devra Davis, will outline the evolution of the mobile phone and smartphone, and provide a background to the current 19 year old radiation safety standards (SAR), policy developments and international legislation. New global studies on the health consequences of mobile/wireless radiation will be presented, including children’s exposure and risks.

The Speaker
Dr Devra Davis is an internationally recognised expert on electromagnetic radiation from mobile phones and other wireless transmitting devices. She is currently the Visiting Professor of Medicine at the Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, and Visiting Professor of Medicine at Ondokuz Mayis University, Turkey. Dr Davis was Founding Director of the Center for Environmental Oncology at The University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute —­ the first institute of its kind in the world, to examine the environmental factors that contribute to the majority of cases of cancer.

In 2007, Dr Devra Davis founded non­profit Environmental Health Trust to provide basic research and education about environmental health hazards. Dr Davis served as the President Clinton appointee to the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board in the U.S.A. from 1994–­1999, an independent executive branch agency that investigates, prevents and mitigates chemical accidents.
As the former Senior Advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Health in the Department of Health and Human Services, she has counseled leading officials in the United States, United Nations, European Environment Agency, Pan American Health Organization, World Health Organization, and World Bank.

Her twitter: https://twitter.com/DevraLeeDavis
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Re: Devra Davis

#2  Postby newolder » Jun 22, 2020 7:29 am

There are legitimate concerns (relating to UV in sunlight/sunbeds, and lasers) with workers and low power, non-ionising radiation.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/nonionising/index.htm

Mitigating the danger from telephone technology relates to any spark generation that may occur during their use.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » Jun 22, 2020 12:25 pm

“The dose makes the poison” as the saying goes. Thunderf00t’s video demonstrates that.

They can keep that video on Youtube because they don’t claim it’s a cure and they use very careful language around the claims of what the Zorb does.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Jun 22, 2020 12:27 pm

JustStarDust wrote:

Tag fix for Tapatalk
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 22, 2020 4:55 pm

The intellectual laziness of these "debunk it" bombs is what chaps my ass. Like we're all a bunch of experts on everything just waiting for someone to dare us to debunk some bullshit they find on the internet.

Do your own goddamned research. You can fucking read. Go do some of it.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby felltoearth » Jun 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Reading is easy. Thinking is hard.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Well, that's the thing. Until OP figures out how critical thinking works, what burden of proof is, etc. then they aren't really evaluating the information, which affects what they gather.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby campermon » Jun 22, 2020 6:53 pm

JustStarDust wrote:I'm not sure what to believe with this.

it's all true.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm

or not.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Papa Smurf » Jun 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Wireless radiation no less. Impressive.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#11  Postby campermon » Jun 22, 2020 7:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm

5G chemtrails.jpg
5G chemtrails.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 23, 2020 5:46 am

The_Metatron wrote:The intellectual laziness of these "debunk it" bombs is what chaps my ass. Like we're all a bunch of experts on everything just waiting for someone to dare us to debunk some bullshit they find on the internet.

I do. :/ Calm down. Act your age. If you know you're right, there's no need to get angry & swear.

I read some of your site... Is it worth my time? :smug: Broken links, empty categories. Could you fix your site 1st? I'd love to read - when there's something to actually read.

My request is to Thunderf00t anyway. Not that he's here & can read the request. I don't expect anyone here to debunk anything I post, but I sure would like more information from the community - which is the purpose of this forum? Considering that even web searches are DIFFERENT, according to location. This is well known, and the reason why people need a damn VPN to watch even the simple things like a TV show or movie, let alone web pages.

And then again, to be honest, can I trust Thunderf00t to explain something that effects the biology of something, when he doesn't have the credentials of a Dr, who studied in biology?

I love that meme of the guy with Giorgio A. Tsoukalos. All it indicates is that people make fun of his hair (& that's very critical thinking, right there.)
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#14  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 23, 2020 6:40 am

JustStarDust wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:The intellectual laziness of these "debunk it" bombs is what chaps my ass. Like we're all a bunch of experts on everything just waiting for someone to dare us to debunk some bullshit they find on the internet.

I do. :/ Calm down. Act your age. If you know you're right, there's no need to get angry & swear.

I read some of your site... Is it worth my time? :smug: Broken links, empty categories. Could you fix your site 1st? I'd love to read - when there's something to actually read.

You seem to be forum-illiterate. Might want to stick to 4Chan.

My request is to Thunderf00t anyway. Not that he's here & can read the request. I don't expect anyone here to debunk anything I post, but I sure would like more information from the community - which is the purpose of this forum?

You're getting it, you just don't seem able to parse it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fenrir » Jun 23, 2020 7:31 am

I love that meme of the guy with Giorgio A. Tsoukalos. All it indicates is that people make fun of his hair (& that's very critical thinking, right there.)

Fail.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Hermit » Jun 23, 2020 9:04 am

JustStarDust wrote:I love that meme of the guy with Giorgio A. Tsoukalos. All it indicates is that people make fun of his hair (& that's very critical thinking, right there.)

Those who can look at pictures do get the impression that people make fun of his hair. Those who can read as well, do not.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 23, 2020 3:32 pm

JustStarDust wrote:

"Right" has nothing to do with it. You can't understand the basics. Yes, there is a shitload of knowledge and expertise here. People do not get that knowledge by scurrying about, seeking bullshit to "debunk". That knowledge is gained by finding out what is true, not what is untrue. "Debunking" is a waste of time, although entertaining.
JustStarDust wrote: I read some of your site... Is it worth my time? :smug: Broken links, empty categories. Could you fix your site 1st? I'd love to read - when there's something to actually read. .

Whose site? Mine? Well, pardon fucking me it isn't to your liking. I'll get right on that.

You can hold your breath while I do that.
JustStarDust wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: drivel
My request is to Thunderf00t anyway. Not that he's here & can read the request. I don't expect anyone here to debunk anything I post, but I sure would like more information from the community - which is the purpose of this forum? Considering that even web searches are DIFFERENT, according to location. This is well known, and the reason why people need a damn VPN to watch even the simple things like a TV show or movie, let alone web pages.

And then again, to be honest, can I trust Thunderf00t to explain something that effects the biology of something, when he doesn't have the credentials of a Dr, who studied in biology?

While we're at this, what credentials are you bringing, since that's important to you?
JustStarDust wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: more drivel
[/spoiler]
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 3:36 pm

JustStarDust wrote:

Ugh... Jog on.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby BlackBart » Jun 23, 2020 4:06 pm

JustStarDust wrote:

Amazing. You can gauge emotion of someone miles away by reading the word 'fucking'. Or was it a half-arsed attempt at trolling?

Act his age? How would you suggest he do that? How about going onto a forum and spamming it with tedious pseudoscience videos and parrotting 'What do you think about about this one? That's what grown-ups do isn't it? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby campermon » Jun 23, 2020 5:52 pm

JustStarDust wrote: I don't expect anyone here to debunk anything I post, but I sure would like more information from the community - which is the purpose of this forum?

What would you like to know?

:popcorn:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Biological Sciences