Do women have an extra rib?

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Re: Do women have an extra rib?

#21  Postby Weaver » Feb 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Back when I was in high school (25th anniversary this summer!) a student in my Agriculture Technology class asserted, during hunting season, that game wardens could tell whether you'd shot a doe or a buck by counting the number of ribs on a dressed out (therefore missing primary sexual organs) carcass.

Fortunately, the teacher (otherwise somewhat of a Bible thumper) corrected him before I had a chance to shout WTF?
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby John P. M. » Feb 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Paul1 wrote:
Anther thing is, if a teacher sees that his/her pupil is simply not able to grasp a certain concept, is it then OK to make up something untrue because that's easier to grasp?

Well it's what happens in schools now. A simplified version of the atom, an incorrect theory of gravity, and so on.

That's comparing apples and oranges. God creating animals each after their own 'kind', versus common descent. Special creation is not a simplification of evolution. It's not a version of evolution either.
Not to mention all the events in early Genesis that don't gel with reality.

Paul1 wrote:
I even got taught that the prayer mat in Islam is holy - official guidelines from the government - actually there is nothing holy about the prayer mat, it is simply to provide a clean comfortable space to pray.

Well, 'holy' can mean that it is viewed as sacred, and/or revered, and/or treated with utmost respect by the practitioner. Which is the case with the prayer mat, I would think. It doesn't have to mean 'supernaturally' holy, or 'magical'.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Paul1 » Feb 03, 2011 6:54 pm

John P. M. wrote:
Paul1 wrote:
Anther thing is, if a teacher sees that his/her pupil is simply not able to grasp a certain concept, is it then OK to make up something untrue because that's easier to grasp?

Well it's what happens in schools now. A simplified version of the atom, an incorrect theory of gravity, and so on.

That's comparing apples and oranges.

Hey, it's not my argument.

My response is that not understanding how or why we exist does not have to result in some kind of philosophical existential panic, and that I openly admit I have no clue as to how the universe came to be. Hence I would rather consider all options and continue to find the truth than pretend a god does exist just to satisfy potentially existentially uncomfortable questions.
Not really keen on the Islamic religion, personally indifferent about this
Paul1

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby willhud9 » Feb 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
willhud9 wrote:really? Christians believe that? Even when I heard the story as a tiny kid I kinda figured man had an extra rib and god gave it to eve so that they could have equal ribs. :P

Even as a tiny child, when you were brought up as an atheist, then later found your belief in god? :think:

I never said I was "brought" up as anything. I was left to make my own choices. I did have a children's bible courtesy of grandparents, but they were just stories to a kid of 7-8 years old, akin to fairy tales.
"Well sweet Mother Teresa on the hood of a Mercedes Benz, you sound like a majestic fucking eagle." ~Instructor Shadis
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 05, 2011 8:12 am

Now you're getting it.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby AlohaChris » Feb 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Weaver wrote:Back when I was in high school (25th anniversary this summer!) a student in my Agriculture Technology class asserted, during hunting season, that game wardens could tell whether you'd shot a doe or a buck by counting the number of ribs on a dressed out (therefore missing primary sexual organs) carcass.

Fortunately, the teacher (otherwise somewhat of a Bible thumper) corrected him before I had a chance to shout WTF?

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but I held that belief up until my first college anatomy course. I had been fed this tripe non-stop through 12 years of Catholic school.

So I'm sitting in one of the first lectures in my anatomy class and the professor asks: "What are some distinctive features that can help us determine if a skeleton is male or female?" "KNOWING" the answer to this easy one, my hand shot up. "Yes, go ahead" said the prof. "A female skeleton has an extra rib that would differentiate it from a male skeleton" said I.

Some laughter ensued, after which the prof went on to explain how this was an incorrect, though often asserted 'fact'. I felt like an idiot and also felt betrayed by my previous 'teachers'. The upside was that it solidified my position and energized me to discover that there was much that I had been taught that wasn't so.
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Humphrey Osmond » Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Paul1 wrote:I thought it was a joke, but: http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=4365 ... still I just can't tell.

Go with your instinct on this one...

Poe's Law, ...in this case, it's a POE.

Landover Baptist Church does not exist, it's probably one of the better known fundie-spoofs out there, ...the attention to detail is stunning though, as it is so over the top it seems real.
Humphrey Osmond

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby CherryBomb » Feb 06, 2011 12:07 am

My partner's 73 year old grandmother truly and honestly believes women have an extra rib. She is a devout Catholic. When she said this over lunch one day, noticing how everyone else kind of just gave each other shifty looks and changed the topic I gathered trying to point out that they don't would be a waste of time.
CherryBomb

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Biological Sciences