Do women have an extra rib?

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Do women have an extra rib?

#1  Postby Paul1 » Feb 02, 2011 10:59 pm

No, both men and women have 24 ribs. Both sexes sometimes have an extra rib, and in rarer cases two extra ribs.

Many people think that men have one less rib than women, due to the bible story in Genesis 2:21-22.
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Surprise! Even people I knew as intelligent thought that the two sexes had a different number of ribs. Please!

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=58862 - All the same poster:
I got into a dispute with a dirty atheist heathen today, because he claimed (falsely) that both men and women have the same skeletal structures. THE BIBLE SAYS DIFFERENTLY! Look for yourself.

- Bible stuff -

The lord took a rib from Adam and gave it to Eve, and from that point women had more bones. This could be why women have so much trouble doing real work, their ribs restrict their movement! Men have less ribs in the way so we have the freedom to run around and play football. Women stay at home and cook because that's the only thing their bodies can do!

Adam and Eve are the models for all men and women. For example, BECAUSE of Eve's sin, women have to do all the house work and go through the pain of childbirth. This is something that happened to EVE herself but it is carried on through all women. So, doesn't it make sense that since what Adam and Eve did in life effects us today, their bodies would too? I mean, the species NEVER changes! You don't believe in EVILution do you?

He also has an interesting topic on how to beat your child ;) http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthre ... post686807

I thought it was a joke, but: http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=4365 ... still I just can't tell.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Do women have an extra rib?

#2  Postby kiore » Feb 02, 2011 11:02 pm

Spoof, but excellent one.. :coffee:
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#3  Postby Paul1 » Feb 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Just wanted to make sure that everyone on this forum was absolutely clear about a biologically scientific FACT.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby ramseyoptom » Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Paul1 wrote:No, both men and women have 24 ribs. Both sexes sometimes have an extra rib, and in rarer cases two extra ribs.

Many people think that men have one less rib than women, due to the bible story in Genesis 2:21-22.
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Surprise! Even people I knew as intelligent thought that the two sexes had a different number of ribs. Please!

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=58862 - All the same poster:
I got into a dispute with a dirty atheist heathen today, because he claimed (falsely) that both men and women have the same skeletal structures. THE BIBLE SAYS DIFFERENTLY! Look for yourself.

- Bible stuff -

The lord took a rib from Adam and gave it to Eve, and from that point women had more bones. This could be why women have so much trouble doing real work, their ribs restrict their movement! Men have less ribs in the way so we have the freedom to run around and play football. Women stay at home and cook because that's the only thing their bodies can do!

Adam and Eve are the models for all men and women. For example, BECAUSE of Eve's sin, women have to do all the house work and go through the pain of childbirth. This is something that happened to EVE herself but it is carried on through all women. So, doesn't it make sense that since what Adam and Eve did in life effects us today, their bodies would too? I mean, the species NEVER changes! You don't believe in EVILution do you?

He also has an interesting topic on how to beat your child ;) http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthre ... post686807

I thought it was a joke, but: http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=4365 ... still I just can't tell.

I think I heard one religious (CofE so does that count?) apologist say that it was a metaphorical rib not a real rib
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#5  Postby PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Feb 02, 2011 11:51 pm

just quoting wiki.
The number of ribs was noted by the Flemish anatomist Vesalius in his key work of anatomy De humani corporis fabrica in 1543, setting off a wave of controversy, as it was traditionally assumed from the Biblical story of Adam and Eve that men's ribs would number one fewer than women's.[1] Variations in the number of ribs occur. About 1 in 200-500 people have an additional cervical rib, and there is a female predominance.[2] Intrathoracic supernumerary ribs are extremely rare.[3]

from the link to a PDF there, the number can also fluctuate with the fusion of 2 (or more) or fork of the ribs, again with a slight increase in women, and seems to be mainly on the right side (the fused/forked rib has a prevalence of 0.15-0.31%, a supernumerary rib has a prevalence of 0.5%)
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Print view this post

#6  Postby virphen » Feb 03, 2011 12:04 am

At a barbeque women might have an extra rib, but they normally have at least one less sausage.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Feb 03, 2011 12:17 am

Isn't it men who should have one less rib rather than women one extra?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby willhud9 » Feb 03, 2011 8:10 am

really? Christians believe that? Even when I heard the story as a tiny kid I kinda figured man had an extra rib and god gave it to eve so that they could have equal ribs. :P
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Ironclad » Feb 03, 2011 8:16 am

virphen wrote:At a barbeque women might have an extra rib, but they normally have at least one less sausage.

Damn it! I wanted to say this. :waah:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Delvo » Feb 03, 2011 2:54 pm

willhud9 wrote:really? Christians believe that?
Only a tiny sliver of a minority. Even a strict Biblical literalist has a much simpler interpretation available: Adam's number of ribs post-surgery was not inherited, just like any other surgical or accidental amputation is not inherited.
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby trubble76 » Feb 03, 2011 3:02 pm

The question that springs to my mind is this;
Why does god need to remove a rib from adam? Can't he make eve without a rib taken from adam?
Seing as how god is perfect, his first attempt at making adam would also surely be perfect, well why the subsequent alteration? Did god make a mistake? Did god change his mind? Did god genuinely need adam's rib in order to create eve? All those questions lead to the conclusion that it's a moronic story authored by ignorant middle-easterners.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby John P. M. » Feb 03, 2011 3:17 pm

trubble76 wrote:All those questions lead to the conclusion that it's a moronic story authored by ignorant middle-easterners.

More of a 'poetic' and allegorical [couldn't find the exact words I was looking for] attempt at describing how men and women came to be, not meant to be literally true, but to convey that women and men are of the 'same flesh', the 'same kind', I think. Well, I think this now - earlier in my life I would have seen it as literal history. But I don't think the writers viewed it as such, actually. Kind of a "I have no idea what happened, but here's a story that sounds nice and gives praise to the Lord, so it can't be half bad" story.
Perhaps.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#13  Postby trubble76 » Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm

John P. M. wrote:
trubble76 wrote:All those questions lead to the conclusion that it's a moronic story authored by ignorant middle-easterners.

More of a 'poetic' and allegorical [couldn't find the exact words I was looking for] attempt at describing how men and women came to be, not meant to be literally true, but to convey that women and men are of the 'same flesh', the 'same kind', I think. Well, I think this now - earlier in my life I would have seen it as literal history. But I don't think the writers viewed it as such, actually. Kind of a "I have no idea what happened, but here's a story that sounds nice and gives praise to the Lord, so it can't be half bad" story.
Perhaps.

Sure, if the abrahamicists believed that, our problems would be halved. Although it only really introduces another problem, why would a god that was either inspiring or authoring this invaluable guidance on how to act in accordance with the god's wishes, make it so fucking vague. Clearly a god would make a better effort at it.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby John P. M. » Feb 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes, a God responsible for what actually happened could easily have told them exactly what happened.

Clearly, this was not the case. So - either God didn't care that they misrepresented history and continued to be misinformed, or... God couldn't care. My bet's on the latter.

They tried to make sense of the world, and did believe in a god, so I suppose they might have thought that their god somehow worked through them (why wouldn't he, right?), but... I think history was a rather vague concept back then. A little fairytale and exaggeration thrown in wasn't seen as a problem. And who was to say that a little 'inspiration' (i.e. making shit up) wasn't of divine origin?
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Paul1 » Feb 03, 2011 4:40 pm

The Christian counter-argument is: Try telling a 3 year old the theory of General Relativity.

If god does exist then I commend him on being efficient and copying the genetic code of Adam's rib in order to be time efficient and meet project deadlines.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby mraltair » Feb 03, 2011 4:52 pm

I admit I always thought women had one more rib than males up until about 2 years ago when I was on RDF. Not because I believed the bible, just thought it was a bible story to explain it. As usual the bible was more wrong than expected.

I also did human biology and PE A-levels. :dunno:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby John P. M. » Feb 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Paul1 wrote:The Christian counter-argument is: Try telling a 3 year old the theory of General Relativity.

And I say; try giving a 3 year old a general overview of the ToE. Now do the same with a grown up previously unaware of the theory. Is it impossible? Were humans blathering idiots a few thousand years ago? My guess is they were not incapable of learning(!). And with God as their Teacher (allegedly), where's the problem?

Anther thing is, if a teacher sees that his/her pupil is simply not able to grasp a certain concept, is it then OK to make up something untrue because that's easier to grasp?
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Berthold » Feb 03, 2011 5:34 pm

ramseyoptom wrote:I think I heard one religious (CofE so does that count?) apologist say that it was a metaphorical rib not a real rib

Metaphor for what? That men were there first, and women are descended from them? Even so, it's still bollocks. :mrgreen:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Paul1 » Feb 03, 2011 5:51 pm

The point of the Christian argument that "god works in mysterious ways" is that some things are simply too complicated for someone at a lesser level to understand. EDIT: Someone with a mental disability might never be able to grasp General Relativity. In that respect, Christians treat humanity as if they are lesser stupid beings in comparison to another being, god.

I reject this of course, believe that intelligence is not limited to one specific understanding, and that intelligence comes in many forms, such that a total retard could also produce something genius.

Anther thing is, if a teacher sees that his/her pupil is simply not able to grasp a certain concept, is it then OK to make up something untrue because that's easier to grasp?

Well it's what happens in schools now. A simplified version of the atom, an incorrect theory of gravity, and so on. I even got taught that the prayer mat in Islam is holy - official guidelines from the government - actually there is nothing holy about the prayer mat, it is simply to provide a clean comfortable space to pray. (I got a C at school for stating that, unfortunately for the teacher the next assignment was Judaism, coming from a Jewish family I got the answers 100% correct, and the bitter teacher was forced to give me an A).
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 03, 2011 6:05 pm

willhud9 wrote:really? Christians believe that? Even when I heard the story as a tiny kid I kinda figured man had an extra rib and god gave it to eve so that they could have equal ribs. :P

Even as a tiny child, when you were brought up as an atheist, then later found your belief in god? :think:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Biological Sciences