Epigenetic changes due to Cesarean vs. Vaginal Birth

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Epigenetic changes due to Cesarean vs. Vaginal Birth

#1  Postby kennyc » Jul 08, 2014 11:51 am

Cesarean Delivery May Cause Epigenetic Changes In Babies DNA

by Stephen Luntz

Babies coming into the world by cesarean section experience epigenetic changes, a study has found. So far there has not been enough follow up to know whether the effects are long lasting, but the discovery may explain the relatively poorer outcomes for babies delivered in this way.

Cesarean delivery, where the mother's abdomen and uterus are surgically cut open to remove the baby, was once a last, desperate option. However, rates are increasing dramatically worldwide, closing on 50% in China.

The trend is deeply controversial among health professionals, with a variety of concerns expressed about the consequences, including hemorrhaging, persistent pain and depression for the mother and respiratory diseases and obesity for the baby. However, in many countries perverse financial incentives favor the use of cesareans even where a vaginal birth is probably the better choice.

Despite epidemiological evidence that cesarean birth is associated with a higher risk of conditions such as type-1 diabetes the mechanism is unknown, which may have hampered responses. However, Professor Tomas Ekstrom has provided a step towards an explanation with a paper in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

"In this study, our focus has been whether the way a baby is born can have an impact on a cellular level in the form of epigenetic alterations in DNA,” Ekstrom said.

Ekstrom found higher rates of methylation in stem cells from 18 babies delivered by by cesarean than 25 via vaginal birth. Methylation of DNA affects whether genes are expressed or not within a cell and is the major path through which environmental factors can alter the expression of genetic traits.

When Ekstrom did a more detailed study of twelve of the babies he found statistically significant differences in methylation in almost 350 regions, many of which are known to influence the immune system.

"During a vaginal delivery, the fetus is exposed to an increased level of stress, which in a positive way will prepare the unborn baby for life outside the uterus," said co-author Professor Mikael Norman. "This activation of the fetus' defense systems doesn't occur when a cesarean section is performed before labor begins, which in turn could be a possible cause for the noticed differences between the groups.”

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... babies-dna

journal ref: http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(14)00465-7/abstract
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Epigenetic changes due to Cesarean vs. Vaginal Birth

#2  Postby halucigenia » Jul 10, 2014 12:58 pm

The interesting thing that could effect evolutionary outcomes would be the study of the descendents of children who were born by C section to see higher rates of methylation in stem cells from the descendents is affected. AFAK these kinds of effects don’t persist through the generations.
halucigenia

Print view this post

#3  Postby Scarlett » Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm

I have no idea why a woman would elect to have a C-section. I've had surgery on my tubes which entailed a C-section type scar and it was pretty debilitating for weeks, not to mention the unsightly scar I'm left with. I can't imagine having a newborn to look after with that type of pain.

It should be banned except in cases where it's needed obviously.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby halucigenia » Jul 10, 2014 10:21 pm

So, that's why you chose that new name was it Scar-lett?
halucigenia

Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences